Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 230 Posts

· Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took a good look at the first 3 on dealer's lot. A few things to look for at initial delivery:

The power outlet door on two of the three were missing one of the twist tabs to hold the cover on.

One rtl e had a large piece of the plastic trim on the bottom of the passenger door loose and sticking oUT three inches or so. It wouldn't just push back on either. So I felt all the trim pieces on all three on the bottoms of the doors and a few of them had some give to them or felt loose.

Feel free to add to the list.

· Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is the missing knob to close the electric door. Those 2 little knobs are so flimsy I bet gen2 owners will lose two or three of the doors and year as they blow off on the highway or people walk up and steal the cover.

Attachments

· Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E | Northeast U.S.
2,967 Posts
Joe mentioned something about the roof garnish. I'm not sure but I think what he's referring to is the decorative cowling that goes around three sides of the rear window. The implication was that it would might be loose. He also said you might not want to go through a high-powered carwash. If I'm reading what he said correctly, he's heard of them falling off. You might want to gently pull in at least a couple of locations of each of the three pieces to check for looseness. I don't know what else he would mean by roof garnish; but if you have a thought I'd be interested to know it.

· Registered
243 Posts
I looked at two RLs this weekend and noticed on one that the weatherstripping/gasket around the rear window was uneven and stuck out farther near the edges than in the middle of the glass. Both trucks had the solid rear windows. I've also see in a video that the rear door weatherstripping that contacts the upper part of the opening in the body was misaligned. Another issue I noticed was the plastic cap in the center of the rear bumper was bowed out on either side of the hitch. This was very minor, but something I noticed.

· Super Moderator
2,967 Posts
As long as we're adding minor things ... in my RL, the speaker cover that hides the "center" speaker in the RTL-E sound system, which is atop the dashboard, doesn't sit flush on the driver's side. Whatever attaching mechanism the speaker grille uses, it's broken or malformed on my RL -- so the lip of the cover sticks up about 3/16ths of an inch from the dash. It's right in my line of vision as I drive.

· Registered
296 Posts
Feel that I have to tell this quick story reference QC/QA checks that a friend of mine was involved in many moons ago. He worked on the Ford assembly line in Louisville, KY during early 1990s. He (ex-military) would see wrongly-installed things that anybody sitting in the vehicle would notice. Initially he (wrongly) thought that by bringing it the attention of management the issue would be immediately corrected.

After brining these things to his supervisor's attention, he was admonished to keep his friggin' mouth shut, do his job, and let the dealers handle THEIR mistakes. This was mainly a union thing.

End of story.

· Registered
36 Posts
I had 2 things with the RTL-T i bought. My local Honda dealer has already fixed them for me

1) the trim around the rear window wasn't installed correctly
2) the handle to flip the passenger rear seat didn't work (you had to pull up on the seat front to get it to flip up)

· Super Moderator
2,967 Posts
Joe mentioned something about the roof garnish. I'm not sure but I think what he's referring to is the decorative cowling that goes around three sides of the rear window. The implication was that it would might be loose. He also said you might not want to go through a high-powered car wash. If I'm reading what he said correctly, he's heard of them falling off. You might want to gently pull in at least a couple of locations of each of the three pieces to check for looseness. I don't know what else he would mean by roof garnish; but if you have a thought I'd be interested to know it.
Now that I've had my RL for a week, I'd like to dial this in a bit. The two pieces that go up and down on either side of the window seem pretty firmly attached. It's the top piece that goes across that I have some doubt about although I haven't pulled it hard not to be sure. I'm still not clear this is the garnish that Joe was referring to.

· Super Moderator
2,967 Posts
I had 2 things with the RTL-T i bought. My local Honda dealer has already fixed them for me

1) the trim around the rear window wasn't installed correctly
2) the handle to flip the passenger rear seat didn't work (you had to pull up on the seat front to get it to flip up)
Just checking. When you say "passenger rear seat" you mean the side opposite to that of the driver, correct? I noticed that side was a little bit stiff on mine too. I can't say whether there's something wrong with it without checking it again. What was wrong with the window seal?

· Premium Member
608 Posts
Just took delivery of my RLT-E, and checked everything on the list here...all good! I appreciate the heads up, tho! It made me do an extremely thorough inspection. The salesman commented that my inspection was the most through inspection he's seen in the hundreds of cars he's sold. I said it was thanx to the ridgline owners club forum. He smiled and wrote the website down.

· Registered
441 Posts
Just checking. When you say "passenger rear seat" you mean the side opposite to that of the driver, correct? I noticed that side was a little bit stiff on mine too. I can't say whether there's something wrong with it without checking it again. What was wrong with the window seal?
I noticed the same thing with the passenger rear seat on a RT I test drove today.

· Registered
36 Posts
yes, the side opposite the driver. exact same problem you have. felt like i would break the handle when i pulled on it. i have attached a pic of the rear window trim. you can see how it's not installed correctly

Attachments

· Super Moderator
2,967 Posts
I may talk to my dealer about the backseat. I see what's going on. The tubular chair prop is designed to get wedged into its pressure clip-style stop mount. It's just requiring more effort to remove it from that stop mount on that side. I don't see any sort of adjustment there. At the same time the seat has a detent in it. in order to move up from the seating position or move down from the upright position, it requires the handle to be depressed. That part of what the handle does works fine on my RL. My only issue is with the clamp mount on the floor. And the thing is, it's supposed to work like that. It's just stiffer than I'd like. I wonder whether their supplier sent them a quantity of a slightly different part with a stronger clip? If so, replacing that piece might solve the problem. I could diagnose that theory by swapping the clamps.

Thanks for giving me the details.

· Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
9,176 Posts
Yeah, I've got one more thing to check out before driving it off the lot. It's minor on my vehicle, but it might be worth doing a small push/pull test to make sure it doesn't come right off as soon as you leave the lot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZVn9xJJTZI
I would like to see the Odyssey next to the Ridgeline inside the garage because my wife has a Camry and I want a Ridgeline, but I do not want to park it permanently outside in Denver.

1 - 20 of 230 Posts