Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
14,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought about starting a list of injector failures as well, but that would take a lot more time than I'm willing to put into searching and organizing.

@Travis Hannigan
October 4, 2017
2017 AWD 13,600 miles
Whine, bearing failure

@jakerex
October 17, 2019
2017 with 58,000 miles
Fluctuating RPM

@mumbles
October 26, 2019
2018 with 11,600 km (7,200 miles)
Whine when idling

@asondica
October 27, 2019
2017 Black Edition
“20-60 kmh thudding, rumble strip feeling”

@jakerex
October 28, 2019
2017 Sport
Judder and “Transmission System Problem” message

@JJkroch
January 9, 2020
2019 RTL-E with 18,000 miles
Unexpected downshift, flaring, harsh shifting

@zroger73
February 1, 2020
2019 RTL-E 14,000 miles
Transmission fluid pump failed

@robertnisivocci
March 12, 2020
2017 with 64,000 miles
“D4 transmission warning”

@RM8900
March 27, 2020
2018 RTL-E with 63,000 miles
“Transmission System Problem” message

@mississauga145
April 24, 2020
2017 with 110,000 km (68,351 miles)
Harsh 1-2 shift, metal shavings in fluid

@kbmandms18
June 21, 2020
2017 with 32,000 miles
Fluttering noise and vibration

@ktm520
July 3, 2020
2017 with 45,000 miles
Harsh 1-2 shift, metal shavings in fluid

UPDATE 7/4/20: To keep this original post from getting too long, I'm now adding the failures as additional posts.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
What’s the thought here? Are we saying the Ridgeline transmission is not as bullet proof as we thought? Do yourself a favor and perform drain/fills as often as possible?

·
Administrator
14,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What’s the thought here? Are we saying the Ridgeline transmission is not as bullet proof as we thought? Do yourself a favor and perform drain/fills as often as possible?
I wanted to gather failures in one place to see if a pattern emerged after reading about more 2G transmission failures in 4 years than 1G failures in 15 years on here.

I don't know if additional or more frequent drain and fills are going to accomplish much - there seems to be a variety of different failure modes with the 6-speed including owners who have never towed. The list would be even longer if I included members who reported having torque converters and/or valve bodies (pressure switches, solenoid valves) replaced, but I've limited the list to only complete transmission replacements at this time.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
I wanted to gather failures in one place to see if a pattern emerged after reading about more 2G transmission failures in 4 years than 1G failures in 15 years on here.

I don't know if additional or more frequent drain and fills are going to accomplish much - there seems to be a variety of different failure modes with the 6-speed including owners who have never towed. The list would be even longer if I included members who reported having torque converters and/or valve bodies (pressure switches, solenoid valves) replaced, but I've limited the list to only complete transmission replacements at this time.
Is this the same 6 speed previously used in the odyssey and pilot? Wonder if they saw similar failure rates? I think most of us assumed the 6 speed was proven because of its previous history in those vehicles.

·
Administrator
14,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is this the same 6 speed previously used in the odyssey and pilot? Wonder if they saw similar failure rates? I think most of us assumed the 6 speed was proven because of its previous history in those vehicles.
Yes, it's the same design

A quick scan of the Pilot and Odyssey forums reveals multiple replacements of both 6-speed and 9-speed transmissions (more 9s than 6s it seems) and mostly on the early models, but some newer models as well. Of course, there are a lot more Pilots and Odysseys than Ridgelines, so it's hard to get a feel for failure rates without more extensive research.

The 6-speed is built on the 5-speed design, but with an additional shaft to support an additional gear.

@zroger73 , would it be easier to compile these in a shared Google spreadsheet with thread links? I would imagine editing the post becomes tedious in the long run.
That's certainly an idea - I've seen that on some other forums.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Should also start “list“ of G2 without transmission failure.........but......... it might be 100,000 vehicles.

Then if you include Pilot and Odyssey with out a problem then the “list“ might be 500,000 units.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes, it's the same design

A quick scan of the Pilot and Odyssey forums reveals multiple replacements of both 6-speed and 9-speed transmissions (more 9s than 6s it seems) and mostly on the early models, but some newer models as well. Of course, there are a lot more Pilots and Odysseys than Ridgelines, so it's hard to get a feel for failure rates without more extensive research.

The 6-speed is built on the 5-speed design, but with an additional shaft to support an additional gear.

That's certainly an idea - I've seen that on some other forums.
Just curious if you've learned that the new fuel injector (has a new part number) that began to be installed in December 2019 (I think) has had the problems that the previous fuel injector had for some people. I known I'm changing the subject but I'm just curious about the new fuel injector.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Other than data, IMO it's all moot at this point for the injectors and transmissions as they have all been replaced. There is an even newer injector part number for the 9 speed models (start/stop related?). The 6 speeds population and older part# injector vehicles will fade into the sunset. Unless there is some sort of class action, I don't see Honda doing anything to stand behind their product on the injectors.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Other than data, IMO it's all moot at this point for the injectors and transmissions as they have all been replaced. There is an even newer injector part number for the 9 speed models (start/stop related?). The 6 speeds population and older part# injector vehicles will fade into the sunset. Unless there is some sort of class action, I don't see Honda doing anything to stand behind their product on the injectors.
I remember reading that the new fuel injector was also installed on some 2019 Ridgelines (later built ones) and am just wondering how these new ones are performing. It'd be nice to hear the new ones are doing well - my 2019 was built late in the model year and it'd be a bit of peace of mind to learn that I don't need to be quite as concerned, maybe...

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I remember reading that the new fuel injector was also installed on some 2019 Ridgelines (later built ones) and am just wondering how these new ones are performing. It'd be nice to hear the new ones are doing well - my 2019 was built late in the model year and it'd be a bit of peace of mind to learn that I don't need to be quite as concerned, maybe...
If you have the injector part number ending in 315 on your 2019, that's been the replacement part number. From what I read I don't recall any posted failures with that part number. Keep in mind that there have been repeat failures but it doesn't specify the part number. I think that the majority of failures are on 2017's.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,289 Posts

To the best of my knowledge, I believe I have the only G1 Ridgeline that's had a transmission replaced under warranty for a whine. I believe some were replaced early on for porous castings, but am not sure about that. The folks that had those issues are probably no longer around the ROC. (mod Mike from Texas comes to mind).

Reactions: zroger73

·
Super Moderator
5,383 Posts
Reactions: zroger73

·
Administrator
14,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I stumbled across another one this morning. To keep the original post from getting too long, I think I'm going to "shift gears" and just start adding them as individual posts.

@GTA pickup
February 2, 2020
2017 with 175,000 km (108,740 miles)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Transmission fluid is even easier to drain and fill than engine oil. Make sure to fill through dip stick. It is wide enough. Each drain and fill is like 3.3 litres. Total time may be 20 minutes. Costs like $30 so why not do it every year or 6 months. VCM ia the main culprit here. Torque convertor lock up changes with VCM activation/deactivation causing fluid overheating and reducing the life of the fluid. Then u see issues like hard shifts, fluttering etc. Disable VCM with SVCM and keep the fluid fresh. You won't even need to worry about injectors after either. They are all realated to VCM. I am so happy now had bunch of things replaced in the past like cams, rocker arms, catalytic convertor etc. No more issues 30k kms since SVCM

1 - 20 of 38 Posts