Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Trail near my house. Pretty gnarly. Never been before but me and a buddy were determined to make it to the end. I was dumb and brought my gopro bag...but left the go pros at home. So annoyed. So we just got some cell phone footage until our batteries died or our girl friends were tired of getting out of the car. Had to be towed twice...which i hate to admit but both times it was only about 3 ft. The truck would not lift its weight if only two tires had traction. Doesnt matter if vtm4 lock was on or off. At about 740 when the camera jumps to me going up the hill...I said to tow me and he went to get the strap and I just frustratingly mashed the throttle while turning to the left just a little and it slipped for a second then slowly started grabbing traction...but my vtm4 light was flashing at me so im sure it was getting warm.

Enjoy!!

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
No thanks, thats why I have a Rhino for that class II off roadin $hit. But its all good to see what it can do, has a hard time doin and cant do. Kind off bummed on kind of second class off road capabilities for a $$,$$$ truck. Good vid did you wreck anything. Thank that camera man for the guide. Gonna do that stuff ground clearance and approch angles which the RL doesnt have, you did good. Looks like you had fun and thats what its about.:act035:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
No thanks, thats why I have a Rhino for that class II off roadin $hit. But its all good to see what it can do, has a hard time doin and cant do. Kind off bummed on kind of second class off road capabilities for a $$,$$$ truck. Good vid did you wreck anything. Thank that camera man for the guide. Gonna do that stuff ground clearance and approch angles which the RL doesnt have, you did good. Looks like you had fun and thats what its about.:act035:
Yea it was a blast. A little fustrating at times and degrading having to be towed by a jeep.... In all my predicaments ive been in I have never been towed out. I have always done the towing.

Only damage on this trip was at the end with the paint on rear bumper and ripping off the license plate. Yea I do wish I had something a little more capable but I do love this truck and this was a first and last time doing this hard of stuff. It usually sees just desert cruising and camping. Allighnment is a little off as well know. I am curious how well it would do if I undid the sway bars...but thats to much work.

It is currently up in the air at work here, so i can drain and fill trans and rear diff. It took a beating so I figured id show it some love. Wainting on honda to deliver the fluids..they take forever.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Trail near my house. Pretty gnarly. Never been before but me and a buddy were determined to make it to the end. I was dumb and brought my gopro bag...but left the go pros at home. So annoyed. So we just got some cell phone footage until our batteries died or our girl friends were tired of getting out of the car. Had to be towed twice...which i hate to admit but both times it was only about 3 ft. The truck would not lift its weight if only two tires had traction. Doesnt matter if vtm4 lock was on or off. At about 740 when the camera jumps to me going up the hill...I said to tow me and he went to get the strap and I just frustratingly mashed the throttle while turning to the left just a little and it slipped for a second then slowly started grabbing traction...but my vtm4 light was flashing at me so im sure it was getting warm.

Enjoy!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-yib-ePhjQk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/-yib-ePhjQk

Not sure why it isnt embedding the video....

Nice video, you've got more balls than 99.99% of RL owners.

The RL does good when all 4 wheels are on the ground, once the tires start coming off the ground its game over. The RL really needs some more suspension travel as you can see in the video. The jeep kept all 4 on the ground while your RL was constantly lifting at least one if not two wheels at every hump.

Don't worry about getting towed, anyone that has been off-roading has been towed at one point or another. Last time I took the RL out in the dirt I sank her into some nasty mud. It took two trucks to pull me out, it was suctioned into that mud pretty good. I've still got some of that mud under my truck.

·
Administrator
17,242 Posts
Looking at which wheels were and weren't spinning, it appears you had VSA disabled and may have had VTM-4 LOCK on at times. With VSA disabled, only the wheel with less or no traction will spin on front. If VSA were on, the system would apply the brake on the spinning front wheel so that torque could be transferred to the wheel with more traction.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Looking at which wheels were and weren't spinning, it appears you had VSA disabled and may have had VTM-4 LOCK on at times. With VSA disabled, only the wheel with less or no traction will spin on front. If VSA were on, the system would apply the brake on the spinning front wheel so that torque could be transferred to the wheel with more traction.
At every point I got hung up I tried with and without vsa disabled and vtm 4 lock on and off. I could here the ABS actuating but not very much. When I turned the vtm lock on...it would try and not have enough oommph to pull itself up with just two tires having traction.

Now at 740ish where it skips from me with one wheel in the air to going up the hill i had turned vtm4 lock on and just mashed it. With three wheels having traction it slowly pulled over the stuck spot. But she wasnt filming at that second.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very cool! Can you give us the mods on your truck? Wheels tires lift kit exhaust? Thanks my brother!
No prob.

Stock 06 wheels painted flat black.

265/70/17 kumho m/t

fat bobs 2 in lift

My exhaust is flowmaster dbx muffler with 2.5 in piping with a side exit I made. From cat back.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I was in your back yard last Wednesday & then drove to Rialto that night for more business work on Thursday. I didn't have any time for some cool trail riding that you guys have out there because I flew out of LAX on Thursday. Before I went to the airport I visited Ocean Dr. for a quick lunch & view.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was in your back yard last Wednesday & then drove to Rialto that night for more business work on Thursday. I didn't have any time for some cool trail riding that you guys have out there because I flew out of LAX on Thursday. Before I went to the airport I visited Ocean Dr. for a quick lunch & view.
Nice. Got a little pleasure mixed in with business.It's been beautiful the last week or so. I stay away from the coast. Not my forte with the crowds and the beach.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Great video, thanks for sharing!

I've been in a couple of wet pastures and a few muddy trails at our camp, but nothing like that in my new to me 07'. Glad to know it can do so well if need be. That was a nice technical little trail, for someone watching that didn't know better, they probably thought it looked really easy... looks can be very deceiving. I've been goofing around off road for the better part of 25 years. Since then, I've always tried to keep an fairly capable off road vehicle around.

Our current off road beater, it's a 1996 Jeep Cherokee 4wd, currently running 32" BFG TKO All Terrains (also have a set of 33" BFG KM2 Mud terrains), 4.5" Pro comp Lift in Front, 4.5" Full Procomp Leafs in back with revolver shackles, Sway Bar disconnects, On-board Air, Aussie Locker in Front, Smittybilt 9,500lb winch on custom front bumper, etc... It's turned out to be a really good rig, especially with the front locker, it will go through or up things I'd never have tried before... my two young kids love the thing as well.

Attachments

Reactions: S.T.U.V

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great video STUV! thanks for sharing. Like others have said, it is nice to see that the RL can handle some off roading if needed. Years ago when I lived in California, I road dirt bikes and camped in some of those same desert areas. Great times! Thanks for refreshing those memories with the videos!:smile:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not to rail this thread....but that is a nice Jeep (fastdrvr)! I loved our old 92 Jeep! We had it since new but it got ran into this last October and totaled it. Best vehicle I have owned. I hope this Ridgline can hold up to the time and miles as good as that jeep did?
Im verry happy with it so far!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great video, thanks for sharing!

I've been in a couple of wet pastures and a few muddy trails at our camp, but nothing like that in my new to me 07'. Glad to know it can do so well if need be. That was a nice technical little trail, for someone watching that didn't know better, they probably thought it looked really easy... looks can be very deceiving. I've been goofing around off road for the better part of 25 years. Since then, I've always tried to keep an fairly capable off road vehicle around.

Our current off road beater, it's a 1996 Jeep Cherokee 4wd, currently running 32" BFG TKO All Terrains (also have a set of 33" BFG KM2 Mud terrains), 4.5" Pro comp Lift in Front, 4.5" Full Procomp Leafs in back with revolver shackles, Sway Bar disconnects, On-board Air, Aussie Locker in Front, Smittybilt 9,500lb winch on custom front bumper, etc... It's turned out to be a really good rig, especially with the front locker, it will go through or up things I'd never have tried before... my two young kids love the thing as well.

Nice ride!! I hate jeeps...but a square body cherokee I would love!! That is the perfect rig. Currently working on my buddies 96 grand cherokee to make into a little capable rig. Bought it for $600 and been a nightmare ever since. Little things here and there but for 190k it is expected. Front locker in the front does wonders!

But having a capable rig that just goes over everything is no fun!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts