Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a second generation 2018 RTL-E with about 62K miles. The Lane Keep Assist System (LKAS) quit on me a few months back. It's not a must have option by any stretch, but it is kind of handy when droning along on the superslab. I had the windshield replaced a year or so ago, and experienced no problems at that time, but it has been suggested that the windshield could be the culprit. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced any issues with that system? I'm starting to miss it.

·
Administrator
16,103 Posts
What specific error messages and/or warning lights are you seeing, if any?

Does the replacement windshield have the HONDA logo in the lower corner?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it is an aftermarket windshield, but the system worked fine for many months after that windshield was installed. The system lights up on the dash as per normal (like it's trying to function), but it fails to "see" the highway lane markings. Until recently, it would try to latch on for a second or two every now and then, but now it doesn't even do that much. The adaptive cruise is working fine, however.

·
Administrator
16,103 Posts
The ACC relies primarily on the radar unit behind the grille.

Was the camera calibrated after the aftermarket windshield was installed? If not, a calibration might restore acceptable operation. If so, it could have been poorly calibrated and some variable has changed just enough to prevent it from detecting the lane markings.

I assume your windshield is clean and no toll tags, stickers, etc. have been applied over or near the front of the camera?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the heads-up on recalibration, that sounds like a viable plan. Yes, the windshield is clear. Next time I need to take it to Honda for something I'll ask them to recalibrate it. Thanks again!

·
Administrator
16,103 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up on recalibration, that sounds like a viable plan. Yes, the windshield is clear. Next time I need to take it to Honda for something I'll ask them to recalibrate it. Thanks again!
Just so you won't be caught off guard, some dealers won't attempt to calibrate the camera if you have a non-OE windshield. If they do, you may still be on the hook for some labor even if the calibration is unsuccessful. If the calibration is unsuccessful, you may have no choice other than the replace the windshield with an OE version if you want the LKAS to function. Hopefully, it won't be that difficult, but just giving you a heads-up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just so you won't be caught off guard, some dealers won't attempt to calibrate the camera if you have a non-OE windshield. If they do, you may still be on the hook for some labor even if the calibration is unsuccessful. If the calibration is unsuccessful, you may have no choice other than the replace the windshield with an OE version if you want the LKAS to function. Hopefully, it won't be that difficult, but just giving you a heads-up.
Thanks again. If it came to that, I'd just live without LKAS until I needed to replace the windshield again anyway. It's astounding how many rocks manage to impact the windshield on this truck. LKAS falls into the "nice-to-have" category, it's not a necessity. Adaptive cruise, on the other hand, would be damn tough to live without.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts