Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, I need to load a 42" craftman riding mower to take over to my brother's house. Anyone else done this before? The mower's around 600 pounds and another 200 for me. Not sure what the capacity is on the tailgate. :confused:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
frank24828 said:
Just wondering, I need to load a 42" craftman riding mower to take over to my brother's house. Anyone else done this before? The mower's around 600 pounds and another 200 for me. Not sure what the capacity is on the tailgate. :confused:
I believe it is 300 lbs.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Less than a motorcycle, and they sell wheel rails for them.

I would not even have worried about it, but it is good you are thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Tex's Ridge said:
I believe it is 300 lbs.
That 300LBs is moving weight. Which means you can leave a 300lb load on the tailgate and drive. It can hold a lot more than that over a short period of time such as loading the bed and the like. I don't know if they mention anywhere what the dead weight limit is for the gate.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
captmiddy said:
That 300LBs is moving weight. Which means you can leave a 300lb load on the tailgate and drive. It can hold a lot more than that over a short period of time such as loading the bed and the like. I don't know if they mention anywhere what the dead weight limit is for the gate.
The tail gate can hold about 2,250 static lbs before failure.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
vertrkr said:
The tail gate can hold about 2,250 static lbs before failure.
No wonder they say you can park a Ridgeline on two Ridgeline's tailgates end to end. :)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience with ramps but another member posted that he had a very bad experience while loading a motorcycle into the bed of a pickup truck using ramps. He did not tie the ramps to the truck and very bad things happened when he tried to load the bike. I am sure that there are members that can give you much better advice than I can about the use of ramps. I just wanted to make sure that you were aware of what I learned about tying them to the truck. The other option, if you have a trailer hitch, is to spend $15 and rent a trailer. That would be the easy way.

·
Registered
578 Posts
It's kind of scary driving a mower up a ramp... I've had to do that before, but not in my RL.... just be real careful going up and down... and find the longest ramp you can to reduce the angle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies. I used to own a Ford F-150 and it was no problem. I'm sure the RL is up to the task. Thanks again...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Oh, another thing that someone mentioned. If you are considering purchasing commercially made ramps, consider ramps that have a bit of an arch to them at the bed end of the ramp as opposed to flat ramps. The arch can keep your mower or bike from bottoming out when the front wheels are on the bed and the rear wheels are on the ramp. Again, I don't have much experience with ramps. Just passing on what others have said. Maybe someone with first hand experience can help.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Been using ramps for 15 years. As with anything, use care. Chain to the truck and take your time. I use the terrain to reduce the angle as the RL sits high. Let's see, trailer hitch $500, trailer $500. Ramp $80. Seems like a no-brainer to me. If I had to load it every day, trailer. Twice a year, ramp. To each his own. :rolleyes:Oh, and I have had both arched and straight. The arched are good if you can't reduce the angle otherwise. One important point, if you are afraid don't try either. Respect is different. ;) BTW, arched pair ramps suck for motorcycles imo and don't fit in the RL bed with a load very well.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
What? You are actually thinking of putting a lawn tractor in your Ridgeline? DON'T DO IT!! Nothing should go in the rear end of Ridgeline except beer and ice in the trunk. I've been preaching that from day one here. If anything HAS to go in the bed, it should be only cases of beer to replenish the supply in the trunk. Nothing else should go back there. The Ridgeline is too pretty to mess up (and the bed does scratch easily).

I've always had trucks but never use them as such - I just like trucks and think they are neat. And this one is the neatest of the neat. If you wanted a truck for work and hauling purposes you should have bought a Ford "pick'em up" type cowboy truck. This baby is far beyond that!!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I have a bedmat and no scratches in my RL. Drink up. Hopefully I won't meet you on the road. :eek:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Using Hills can make loading a lot easier. A really good hill and you don’t even need a ramp that would be too easy.

Never had the option of having a tail gate that swung open until now, having a hitch myself already might make for something to anchor the ramp to.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I loaded a Honda Forman 4X4 that weighs 590 pounds with no problem. It filled the bed and the back wheels were on the tail gate. Just be sure that you secure the ramp. I hauled it 140 miles by the way.

Tiger

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK. So I finally go to load and transport the mower. All I can say is WOW. Not only did I have plenty of room for the mower but the ramps fit better than when I had it to load them on my F-150. This truck, yes truck, is truly awesome. Had someone tell me today that it looked like an Avalanche but when he noticed it was a honda he said I'm sure it will last forever. :D :D

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Yes, make sure your ramp is securly on the tailgate, I once saw a guy about get crushed by his mower because he didn't have the ramp secured (he was able to jump off to the side). Find a small ditch or if possible back up to your curb to reduce the angle. I sure hate backing an ATV down off of those higher tailgates :eek: .

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Yes you can load a craftmans 42" cut mower in the back of the ridge, I do it all the time, back wheels will be on the gate, I use 8' aluminum arched folding ramps,but be sure you strap them to your trailer hitch or somewhere under your bumper especially while unloading so that the cutter does not snag the ramp and knock it off the truck. I learned this the hard way when the ramp slid off the tailgate on my old Dodge 1500 with a lift and the tractor ended up on top of me, luckily I was not seriously injured.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts