Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the yards here in southern Arizona are landscaped with gravel vs grass for the obvious reasons. We have been in our home for 14 years now and other than a 5 ton "refresh" of the gravel a number of years ago it is the original load out. I've been getting some thin spots and since the Monsoon should {hopefully} make an appearance in August I decided to add some gravel myself. The local landscape yard sells a 5 gallon bucket for $7 for those of us that don't need several tons and there was no way I was going to have them dump 1,800# of gravel into the bed of my beautiful 2019 RL.

I bought 8 buckets of the 1 inch stones and followed up on a second trip with ten more of the half inch to fill in the Thin spots. According to the yard a 5 gallon bucket {think Homer bucket from Home Depot} weighs about 100#. I placed the full buckets 4 across up against the cab and secured them with a ratcheting tow strap. This way in a panic stop they can't move and the weight is well forward of the rear axle. Loading is easy enough as I can stand right up against the rear of the bed and just lift them up and in and then slide them into place. With the tail gate swung out unloading is even easier as I just dump the buckets straight down into my wheel barrow, two to a load and roll them into the backyard. I dump the barrow and spread the rock with a shovel and steel rake.

The first trip obviously had an 800# load with 1,000# on the second run. I could certainly feel the weight but the ride and handling were fine and given the payload of 1,477 the Ridgeline wasn't even breathing hard. Pretty sure there would have been no issues loading it all at once {and going over the payload by 300#} but I only could come up with 10 buckets. I like being able {at nearly 69} to do projects like this myself vs hiring it out. Nearly a ton of gravel delivered and spread for less than $150 and 3 hours of my time {the yard is 30 minutes down the road}. About 90% of the time I really don't need a truck but being a homeowner the Ridgeline sure comes in handy more than I ever would have guessed. Sure is nice to have the ride, handling and economy of an Accord {almost} for the bulk of my travels.

Just another happy owner...

:cool:

Registered
(y) (y) Could not have said it better. Swore up and down, I would never own another p/u......made my wife promise to kick me in the bohind if I ever even looked at another p/u.

During the test drive I headed to the house and text my wife to meet me in the driveway. Man, did I ever get a WTF, GTH look. Then she sat down in it and said "oh my, this IS nice, and I can get in/out so easy". Nuff said. (just unloaded 12 bags of mulch) 馃憣

Registered
Capt Steve,
How good does that feel to do the job yourself!! Way to go!! Not sure I could lift the #100 buckets into the bed, but Boy the swing out tailgate makes all the difference doesn鈥檛 it!!

you earned a BEER!!

Cheers,
Tru...ar

Registered
Wish I knew what it would cost to kill my grass and gravel the entire front yard and on the sides. I鈥檓 ready to go to drip irrigation for my trees and yaupons and kill all the St. Augustine. It cost too much to water it these days.

Registered
I converted a large part of our yard to a xeriscape type flower bed this past spring. After determining the shape, I used grass/weed killer ($10 Spectricide, iirc) in a hand sprayer on the St. Augustine grass. Took 3 applications a week apart to get a good grass kill. Rented a tiller ($60) and turned the dead grass under. Laid down irrigation hose (+/-$100) and covered with the large chunks of pine wood bark mulch (+/-$100).

Registered
I converted a large part of our yard to a xeriscape type flower bed this past spring. After determining the shape, I used grass/weed killer ($10 Spectricide, iirc) in a hand sprayer on the St. Augustine grass. Took 3 applications a week apart to get a good grass kill. Rented a tiller ($60) and turned the dead grass under. Laid down irrigation hose (+/-$100) and covered with the large chunks of pine wood bark mulch (+/-$100).
I already did the exact same thing to my backyard and the foundation of the house. I have to buy about 60 bags of mulch a year as it decomposes. And in the backyard, the weeds get completely out of control in the mulch area. Tired of the annual mulching. Ready to go to river rocks and gravel on the whole property. Probably cost the better part of $10k.

Premium Member
You can put plastic over the part of the yard you want to kill, and it will kill off all vegetation within a few weeks, depending on your climate and vegetation (I've seen it happen in a couple days).

If xeriscaping, you can put the rock/gravel right on top of the plastic, but I'd recommend a commercial-grade landscape fabric under the rock/gravel. That will eliminate new vegetation, until you get enough fine soil blowing into the gravel to allow seeds to germinate ABOVE the landscape fabric. But they'll be easy to pull!

You can punch holes in the fabric if you want to add ornamental plants/flowers here and there, or use potted plants (which will become annuals in places with real winter).

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I have had very good luck dealing with weeds by using a pre emergent. I spray it on in January just before a hard rain as you need to water it in with at least a half an inch to get it to penetrate. If you can't get it watered in, and doing it by hand is PITA, don't bother as it won't work but...

The preemergent properly applied gets down to where the weed seeds are and prevents them from germinating. The stuff I use is called Shurflan [SP?} and a $39 one quart bottle does my yard {quarter acre lot with a 2K square foot house} almost twice. Do it right and you will not see a single weed for a year. Been using it for the last 10 years and I used to do several of my neighbors yards as well.

"I have to buy about 60 bags of mulch a year as it decomposes."

Old joke...

What is Beethoven doing? Decomposing. :eek::eek::eek:

Registered
(y) (y) Could not have said it better. Swore up and down, I would never own another p/u......made my wife promise to kick me in the bohind if I ever even looked at another p/u.

During the test drive I headed to the house and text my wife to meet me in the driveway. Man, did I ever get a WTF, GTH look. Then she sat down in it and said "oh my, this IS nice, and I can get in/out so easy". Nuff said. (just unloaded 12 bags of mulch) 馃憣
My wife went on the G2 test drive with me (we had a G1 at the time) and as soon as we sat in it she said "ooh, I'd drive this one", which I thought was great...but now she steals it. I take a break from work, etc., go to the driveway and it's gone!

Registered
Most of the yards here in southern Arizona are landscaped with gravel vs grass for the obvious reasons. We have been in our home for 14 years now and other than a 5 ton "refresh" of the gravel a number of years ago it is the original load out. I've been getting some thin spots and since the Monsoon should {hopefully} make an appearance in August I decided to add some gravel myself. The local landscape yard sells a 5 gallon bucket for $7 for those of us that don't need several tons and there was no way I was going to have them dump 1,800# of gravel into the bed of my beautiful 2019 RL.

I bought 8 buckets of the 1 inch stones and followed up on a second trip with ten more of the half inch to fill in the Thin spots. According to the yard a 5 gallon bucket {think Homer bucket from Home Depot} weighs about 100#. I placed the full buckets 4 across up against the cab and secured them with a ratcheting tow strap. This way in a panic stop they can't move and the weight is well forward of the rear axle. Loading is easy enough as I can stand right up against the rear of the bed and just lift them up and in and then slide them into place. With the tail gate swung out unloading is even easier as I just dump the buckets straight down into my wheel barrow, two to a load and roll them into the backyard. I dump the barrow and spread the rock with a shovel and steel rake.

The first trip obviously had an 800# load with 1,000# on the second run. I could certainly feel the weight but the ride and handling were fine and given the payload of 1,477 the Ridgeline wasn't even breathing hard. Pretty sure there would have been no issues loading it all at once {and going over the payload by 300#} but I only could come up with 10 buckets. I like being able {at nearly 69} to do projects like this myself vs hiring it out. Nearly a ton of gravel delivered and spread for less than $150 and 3 hours of my time {the yard is 30 minutes down the road}. About 90% of the time I really don't need a truck but being a homeowner the Ridgeline sure comes in handy more than I ever would have guessed. Sure is nice to have the ride, handling and economy of an Accord {almost} for the bulk of my travels.

Just another happy owner...

:cool:
I've been a homeowner for about 20 years and lost the DIY enthusiasm after a while. But since I got my 2019 RTL-E I've been doing more DIY projects. Built kayak storage under my deck. Next project is to put up some new sections of picket fence (after receiving totally ridiculous quotes from fence companies to do it!). Hell I might even renovate my own bathroom next!

Registered
I've been a homeowner for about 20 years and lost the DIY enthusiasm after a while. But since I got my 2019 RTL-E I've been doing more DIY projects. Built kayak storage under my deck. Next project is to put up some new sections of picket fence (after receiving totally ridiculous quotes from fence companies to do it!). Hell I might even renovate my own bathroom next!
Would you care to share a pic of the kayak rack? I need to build one too, but not sure what type.

Thx

1 - 13 of 13 Posts