Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new RTL-E yesterday and am getting it ready to tow. I have watched several youtube videos about installing a brake controller (which I have done in other vehicles). However, when I crawl under the dash and look thoroughly with my headlamp I do not see the brake controller port that is so obviously dangling there above the diagnostic port in the videos I've watched. It appears that the location and/or plug has been changed in the 2020. Can anyone give me guidance on where to find it?
Many thanks for helping a nube

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One additional question related to this: I have read that some owners have had issues with certain brake controllers that damaged the transmission control module in the vehicle. Specifically, a REESE Towpower according to Amazon reviews. Is there something specific to look for or avoid in brake controllers to avoid problems like this?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I added a Redarc trailer brake controller in June...
I don't remember exactly where the factory connector was - but I do remember you had to really look for it. It was tucked up pretty tight on my 2020. I do think it was up around the area of the ODB port though...but wasn't just hanging in an obvious way.
It might help you to just remove the plastic lower dash panel (the one with the Eco button). It just pulls out - but does have the switches attached, so go easy and either remove the switch connectors, and then the entire panel, or just let it hang.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The plug on mine was a good ways up above the OBD connector and taped to a wire bundle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I'll take off the panel and have a closer look. Any insight on apparent incompatibility of certain controllers? A couple of owners have reported blown transmission modules from them. Is there a resource for finding the required parameters/characteristics?

·
Registered
28 Posts
@jbuzz
I haven't seen anything about incompatibility. And I don't understand how it would affect a trans. module as it isn't connected in any way to that circuitry - but like I said, not aware of that issue.
I don't think you can go wrong with what is probably the most popular brake controller - the Tekonsha Prodigy series.
I know a few forum members are using Redarc Elite's (myself included) and it has been perfect for me. Have about 2,500 towing miles on mine and it works flawlessly.
Good luck with making your decision.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,357 Posts
The plug on mine was a good ways up above the OBD connector and taped to a wire bundle.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same with mine. A bit hard to find until you recognize the connector shape. I used a Prodigy, but you will have "the bulk" as compared to Redarc. Mine is on the lower dash by the steering wheel and is not a problem, especially given that the seat jockeys back when you shut the truck off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@jbuzz
Which Reese where you looking at. Curiosity (and boredom) got me looking at Amazon, but I don't see any complaints about not working in a Honda or transmission issues for this one:
Same model different amazon link, search reviews for "Honda" and you find the one I mentioned re blowing a transmission module on a Pilot (roughly same car as Ridgeline)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of your help. I'm glad that it's there. I was worried that they changed the configuration to remove it which would be a problem since bought the vehicle to tow a trailer...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of your help. I'm glad that it's there. I was worried that they changed the configuration to remove it which would be a problem since bought the vehicle to tow a trailer...
The dealer was clueless when I asked about it and was cruising youtube to find something :oops:

·
Registered
28 Posts
@jbuzz
There is exactly one review that says it damaged the transmission module...I'd ignore that review. I cannot envision a scenario where the Reese damaged the transmission module. Those reviews need to be taken with a very large grain of salt. That Reese Towmaster looks like a decent budget trailer brake controller, and if that is what you want, I'd just go for it. I hope you find a solution you're very happy with.

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E
8 Posts
There is no relationship or connectivity between (anything related to) the transmission and the brake controller wiring, so logic would say there is no (direct) way the brake controller can impact transmission.

Here is the wiring diagram from the owners manual:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts