Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides using the metal key from the fob in the exterior door locks, is there any way to (electronically) lock the doors when the truck is running and the key fob is out of the truck? The switch on the door won't work, the push-button on the outside of the door won't work, and the button on the key fob won't work. I was hoping there was a sequence, such as putting it in remote-start mode again so it would lock. Those of us in the Northern states can appreciate having to run in for a quick errand and keeping the truck running.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
really no reason to leave it running. When you are coming out again, just remote start the truck. I always use the remote start, cold, hot or perfect temps. It stops me from starting and driving immediately. I only start it as I am walking to the vehicle but that 30 seconds gives the truck time to get everything flowing and start to warm up the oil.

·
Registered
150 Posts
In Florida I am more concerned with keeping the truck cool rather than warm. I have been known to remote start the truck as I am walking away from it so it is still nice and cool when I get back in 10 minutes.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I was hoping that when you walk away while it's idling and hear the beep, it would lock the doors but it does not. Several trips to an outdoor Redbox, picking up food to go, and so on, it would be very useful if it locks itself as you walk away.

·
Registered
354 Posts
It’s meant to operattue way it is and not lock while running. Too much liability and trouble from the world at large to have a locked running vehicle with potential to have the keys inside-so they coded it into the software to not allow it. It’s actually very common if not pervasive in the current auto world. Police vehicles being the exception.

As has been stated, turn it off, get out, lock then remote start-walk away and complete errand. Once back place foot on brake and touch start button-truck switches over from auto start mode to full drive mode and you can go on about your way.

·
Registered
33 Posts
South Floridian here as well, i love the remote start. Does anyone know how long it will run when started with remote start? I assume it shuts off after a period of time, just haven't tested it out yet.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It’s meant to operattue way it is and not lock while running. Too much liability and trouble from the world at large to have a locked running vehicle with potential to have the keys inside-so they coded it into the software to not allow it. It’s actually very common if not pervasive in the current auto world. Police vehicles being the exception.
That argument can (and is) overcome with technology. The truck already knows if a key fob is inside--it won't start unless it is. So if I step outside with it running and leave my key, say, in the center console, and close the door it knows not to lock because it can sense the key fob inside. If I request a lock command outside of the truck and it doesn't sense any fob inside, then it should lock the truck, running or not. So there is no danger of me locking the keys inside a running vehicle since the truck can prevent it already. My 2009 BMW works this way, and that's almost ten year old technology.

Additionally, the vehicle can already differentiate a difference between a lock command issued from inside the truck with the truck running and outside the truck with the truck running. After all, for safety reasons, you certainly need to be able to lock the doors to keep an attacker from getting into the truck while it is running (assuming you and the key are also inside), which you can do from the door rockers but not the fob. I've never seen a manufacturer NOT allow this command. I've tried locking all doors with the rocker, then opening the door (which unlocks just the driver door) and relocking it manually using the lock lever by the handle and closing the door but it will unlock it. There is absolutely no way to accidentally lock your keys in the truck, so it just seems weird to me that if I'm outside pressing the button on the remote and both the remote and I are outside that it won't lock. I come from the age where it's not good to start a vehicle immediately after stopping it, plus the additional wear on the starter, but I guess in this day and age of start/stop technology (even though the RL doesn't have that), it's probably less of an issue.

·
Registered
354 Posts

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
I shut it down, lock it, and then hit the remote start. Works well in the Texas heat if I have the dog in the car and I need to grab something really quick at the drycleaners etc. Also, if someone gets into the truck, it will shut off if you try to drive it.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
That argument can (and is) overcome with technology. The truck already knows if a key fob is inside--it won't start unless it is. So if I step outside with it running and leave my key, say, in the center console, and close the door it knows not to lock because it can sense the key fob inside. If I request a lock command outside of the truck and it doesn't sense any fob inside, then it should lock the truck, running or not. So there is no danger of me locking the keys inside a running vehicle since the truck can prevent it already. My 2009 BMW works this way, and that's almost ten year old technology.

Additionally, the vehicle can already differentiate a difference between a lock command issued from inside the truck with the truck running and outside the truck with the truck running. After all, for safety reasons, you certainly need to be able to lock the doors to keep an attacker from getting into the truck while it is running (assuming you and the key are also inside), which you can do from the door rockers but not the fob. I've never seen a manufacturer NOT allow this command. I've tried locking all doors with the rocker, then opening the door (which unlocks just the driver door) and relocking it manually using the lock lever by the handle and closing the door but it will unlock it. There is absolutely no way to accidentally lock your keys in the truck, so it just seems weird to me that if I'm outside pressing the button on the remote and both the remote and I are outside that it won't lock. I come from the age where it's not good to start a vehicle immediately after stopping it, plus the additional wear on the starter, but I guess in this day and age of start/stop technology (even though the RL doesn't have that), it's probably less of an issue.
Whos on first. :wink:

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Am I missing something here? If you want to leave the engine running while you and your fob duck into a store for a couple minutes, what is so hard about using the metal key from the fob to lock the driver's door behind you? Yes, there is a risk that someone could break a window and drive off with your truck, but that's always been the case when we left our engines running with key in the ignition, locked the doors for a quick errand and took a spare key with us. Plus with the G2 RL, if someone tries to drive off without the fob, doesn't the car shut off when the brake is pushed (or something like that)?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Am I missing something here? If you want to leave the engine running while you and your fob duck into a store for a couple minutes, what is so hard about using the metal key from the fob to lock the driver's door behind you? Yes, there is a risk that someone could break a window and drive off with your truck, but that's always been the case when we left our engines running with key in the ignition, locked the doors for a quick errand and took a spare key with us. Plus with the G2 RL, if someone tries to drive off without the fob, doesn't the car shut off when the brake is pushed (or something like that)?
I was under the same assumption.....what is the threat of theft if you have the fob with you and there isn't one in the car? Unless there is a commonly known way to circumvent the intended anti-theft measure of needing a fob in the car to drive it, then anyone who breaks a window to get into your running car isn't going to get far.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You can't use any of the electronic means to unlock it if it is running either. My wife an I will often run the kinds of errands you are talking about together, however she stays in the truck and locks the doors with the switch on the passenger door. I leave with a set of keys (she may or may not have another fob in the truck). There is no way to use the fob to unlock the doors. She either has to unlock them, or I have to use the emergency key. I assume this is another safety feature.

·
Registered
128 Posts
So...A few things in this thread.

The reason they make you use the physical key when it is running. It is a safety issue. If the car is on they don't want any chance of accidentally locking say a child or pet in the car with the engine on. A careless click of a button. The car does not know intention. Yes, the key is outside the car, and it knows this, but is it your thumb pressing the button? A pen in your pocket? Butt dial? There is no question of intent when you physically lock it with the key, it was a conscious decision to lock the car with it running.

For unlocking the car when it is running with a physical key is also a security issue of sorts, since it is in full on mode instead of remote start. They don't want you to accidentally unlock it with it in the fully on position, allowing someone to hop in and drive your car away because you accidentally bumped the unlock button while you were in the store. They have to weigh safety, security and convenience all together, and safety and security will always take a front seat to convenience.

Remote start is not unlimited as one poster implied earlier. You get two remote starts before it shuts the system down and will not be enabled again until the vehicle has been properly started with a key in the cab once, then it resets. Again, safety feature so you don't run out of gas, or have a kid playing with your keys, remote starting over and over and eventually wearing down the car battery if it never gets a chance to run. (At work, once I show clients the remote start, their kids will eventually want to try it, and they do try multiple times....they are always sad when it doesn't work the third time....proving that kids love buttons and control)

·
Administrator
15,159 Posts
Remote start is not unlimited as one poster implied earlier. You get two remote starts before it shuts the system down and will not be enabled again until the vehicle has been properly started with a key in the cab once, then it resets. Again, safety feature so you don't run out of gas, or have a kid playing with your keys, remote starting over and over and eventually wearing down the car battery if it never gets a chance to run.
...or continually restarting the vehicle while it's parked in an enclosed, attached garage causing the whole family to go to sleep and never wake up.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was under the same assumption.....what is the threat of theft if you have the fob with you and there isn't one in the car? Unless there is a commonly known way to circumvent the intended anti-theft measure of needing a fob in the car to drive it, then anyone who breaks a window to get into your running car isn't going to get far.
If the truck is running it can be driven indefinitely without a fob in the vehicle. This is true of most cars with fob keys. It just can't be restarted. The fob is only required to start--that's the only anti-theft measure. Once it's started, you could throw it out the window after that and drive away if you want. Just don't shut it off. :smile:

·
Registered
154 Posts
really no reason to leave it running. When you are coming out again, just remote start the truck. I always use the remote start, cold, hot or perfect temps. It stops me from starting and driving immediately. I only start it as I am walking to the vehicle but that 30 seconds gives the truck time to get everything flowing and start to warm up the oil.
I like to leave it running when its hot for my Dog!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts