Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Since my wife got my dog (a necessary precondition of separation) I can't conceive of a "good" reason for me to leave the vehicle running while making a short trip to run errands. It's not like you are at the front of the vehicle with a crank handle turning over the engine if you don't leave it running. It's easier to restart the engine than to do the remote start, only one button to push. I'm trying to be civil here, how phucking lazy have we become as a first world country.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Also by leaving the vehicle running, and someone steals it, good luck explaining that to your insurance company.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I can't conceive of a "good" reason for me to leave the vehicle running while making a short trip to run errands.
What's the weather like where you live? Sub-freezing? Greater than 100F? Leaving the engine running is all about interior temperature management, and maybe keeping oil temps up if it is cold enough.

And yes, my wife says I'm a spoiled brat, because of all the niceties my truck has.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I often have my dog travel with me and need to leave my vehicle running and locked for heat/ac while away from the vehicle. To this point no one has been able to tell me how to lock my 2019 Ridgeline with the engine running. Is it possible and if so how?

·
Registered
611 Posts
I often have my dog travel with me and need to leave my vehicle running and locked for heat/ac while away from the vehicle. To this point no one has been able to tell me how to lock my 2019 Ridgeline with the engine running. Is it possible and if so how?
Start engine normal. Leave engine running. Take out FOB. Take key out and manual lock the truck. Walk away. Engine keeps running without fob. It will just beep as you walk away but it does not shut off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Start engine normal. Leave engine running. Take out FOB. Take key out and manual lock the truck. Walk away. Engine keeps running without fob. It will just beep as you walk away but it does not shut off.
Thank You, I couldn't get the answer from my dealer so I will share it with them. Remote start is great but I am away from the vehicle with my dog in it for 30-45 minutes at a time. She likes it cool or warm an insists on listing to XM 50s on 5.LOL

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Thanks bunches, now we are able take our dog with us on these warmer days!

Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
really no reason to leave it running. When you are coming out again, just remote start the truck. I always use the remote start, cold, hot or perfect temps. It stops me from starting and driving immediately. I only start it as I am walking to the vehicle but that 30 seconds gives the truck time to get everything flowing and start to warm up the oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’d like to leave it running and lock it because I do deliveries and I’m only out for a min or two. Don’t want to restart my truck 30 plus times per day. More wear and tear on starter etc. The key in the fob too time consuming.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I love people saying someone else has no reason to keep it running, you have no idea what their circumstances are.

Starting the vehicle causes a lot of wear on a vehicle. It is better for the vehicle to keep it running if you are making deliveries or multiple short stops.

In sub-zero weather you maybe get one attempt at starting a vehicle before you are stranded, and it takes 20 minutes of driving to get back the charge you took to start it. What if you have a short commute in freezing temps.

Ice and snow storms require more than 10 minutes of running to even give you a chance at clearing windows.

Leaving pets, a passenger, or food in the car.

In cold climates people leave cars running and locked all the time. I'm sure it happens, but I've never heard of someone smashing a window to steal a running car (that would be a freezing joy ride), cars get stolen up here if you leave it running and unlocked - and manufacturers are making it really hard to lock a running car now. Cops give you a ticket if you leave it running and unlocked, not if it is locked.

Glad to hear you can use the key to lock a running ridge, wish you could adjust up the 10 minute remote start run time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
19 RTL-E

I have my Door unlock set to unlock all doors when i open the driver door. If i use the key to Re-lock it when i get out, will it lock all four?

This would be so much simpler if you could just use the damn button!

Jack

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
19 RTL-E

I have my Door unlock set to unlock all doors when i open the driver door. If i use the key to Re-lock it when i get out, will it lock all four?

Jack
Try in your driveway or at work next time you start your truck.

I fixed this with an aftermarket alarm. It locks all locks with a lock button press on the aftermarket fob. Won't work with the OEM fob and I have not tried with the actual key.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just the thought of digging my key out of my pocket makes me feel gross. lol I paid for a nice new car to enjoy new car ****, like passive entry and never using a real key again.

I'll test it out and report back. begrudgingly.

Jack

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
You can. Just turn off the truck and then hit the "Lock" and "Engine Start" buttons on your fob as you walk away. If you're only doing this occasionally and are returning to the truck within 10 minutes, the additional wear on the starter and battery will be neglible (restarting a warm engine isn't a big deal). If you have to be away from the truck for more than 10 minutes or want more precise climate control than the auto 72 degrees, you'll have to use the key method to lock the doors with engine running.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tested. The physical key DOES lock all four doors while it's running, but you cannot unlock them with the remote or passively when you come back. Need to use the key twice, which is even more annoying than having to restart it.

So far this is the biggest problem I've found with the truck. It seems small but it is truly frustrating when I need to use remote start just to run into a store for 1-2 minutes tops, come back, wait for infotainment to boot again, etc.

Jack

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I can understand your frustration if this is something you do frequently. I don't think there is a workaround for the slow reboot after remote start, so for a 1-2 minute errand, you'd have to leave it running unlocked or use the key twice. For your situation, the remote start trick wouldn't be much better than just a normal off/lock/restart routine.

If I had a G2 RL, I might want to leave my dog in the cab on a hot summer day with the AC on using the remote start trick, but if there was even a chance that I'd be delayed more than 10 minutes, I'd be very nervous doing that. I could use the key method to keep the truck and AC running indefinitely, but I'd probably opt to remove valuables and leave all the windows down. And then I'd worry about someone stealing my dog!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can understand your frustration if this is something you do frequently. I don't think there is a workaround for the slow reboot after remote start, so for a 1-2 minute errand, you'd have to leave it running unlocked or use the key twice. For your situation, the remote start trick wouldn't be much better than just a normal off/lock/restart routine.

If I had a G2 RL, I might want to leave my dog in the cab on a hot summer day with the AC on using the remote start trick, but if there was even a chance that I'd be delayed more than 10 minutes, I'd be very nervous doing that. I could use the key method to keep the truck and AC running indefinitely, but I'd probably opt to remove valuables and leave all the windows down. And then I'd worry about someone stealing my dog!
Yea it's certainly annoying. When making quick deliveries or picking up parts being able to use the passive system while leaving the vehicle on would be super convenient rather than reaching into pockets and finding the keys with your hands full. The dog inside is a very good reason as well! Oh well. These are first world problems for sure.

Jack

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
With a G2, if I needed to leave it running very often, I would get a second door key made and keep it in the console. Then I could just grab that key, lock the door after exiting and keep the key handy for unlocking the door when I got back. That doesn't eliminate the hassle of having to use the key but it avoids messing around with the fob.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Yea it's certainly annoying. When making quick deliveries or picking up parts being able to use the passive system while leaving the vehicle on would be super convenient rather than reaching into pockets and finding the keys with your hands full. The dog inside is a very good reason as well! Oh well. These are first world problems for sure.

Jack
Compustar alarm will solve all you problems. Add Drone Mobile and you can take care of it with the app on your phone or watch. Compustar alarm remote allows you lock and unlock with a press of a key. Been using it already when I have the k9 with me and need to run in some place real quick. A friend was with me one day and asked if I was worried, nah, I can shut the motor off with the remote and I’ve got 30 hollow points for the idiot who dares to try and steal it. Best of luck to them.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts