Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owners manual covers this issue briefly (and offers no help), but I can't find any posts about it on the ROC forums.

When I have to park my truck outside in the winter (e.g., at work), I like to be able to go out and start the truck, turn the defroster on, and then lock the doors and go back indoors while the truck is warming up. It seems that the Ridgeline won't let me do this. I've used the valet key to start the truck, but the remote won't lock the doors when the engine is running. I've tried using the master lock button, but that won't work either while the engine is running. I've even gone as far as manually locking all the doors (pushing the lock buttons down by hand), but when I close the last door, the locks all pop back up (again, only when the engine is running). Keep in mind that I'm not sitting in the driver seat while I'm doing any of these things. Could be there's a weight sensor in the seat or something.

It seems that if I want my truck to be "secure" while it warms up (i.e., make sure no one walking by can easily steal it or something inside it), then I have to sit in a cold vehicle for 15 minutes while the windows defrost, etc.

I can see why the lockout prevention would be a useful feature most of the time (it certainly keeps you from accidentally locking your key in the truck), but I want the ability to lock it up with the engine running if I choose. Does anyone know if this is something that can be overridden, or am I just stuck with it working this way?

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I don't have an answer for you but you just gave me another reason I will miss my keypad on the door of my Explorer. I really liked being able to get in without a key. Oh well. I can't wait for delivery of my Ridge!!!!

RidgeInTheVille

·
Registered
237 Posts
JafaDog said:
The owners manual covers this issue briefly (and offers no help), but I can't find any posts about it on the ROC forums.

Ever since having remote entry (1992 Accord Wagon) the only way to do this is to start the vehicle and close the doors with your other key, i.e. valet key in the lock, it's what I have done for years, the remote will not do it.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
JafaDog said:
It seems that if I want my truck to be "secure" while it warms up (i.e., make sure no one walking by can easily steal it or something inside it), then I have to sit in a cold vehicle for 15 minutes while the windows defrost, etc.

I can see why the lockout prevention would be a useful feature most of the time (it certainly keeps you from accidentally locking your key in the truck), but I want the ability to lock it up with the engine running if I choose. Does anyone know if this is something that can be overridden, or am I just stuck with it working this way?

Sounds like you want a remote start installed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
OK, looks like I get the "Big Dummy of the Day" award. But fishnbanjo gets the "More Than One Way to Skin a Cat" Award and my thanks for putting me on the right track.

fishnbanjo said:
Ever since having remote entry (1992 Accord Wagon) the only way to do this is to start the vehicle and close the doors with your other key, i.e. valet key in the lock, it's what I have done for years, the remote will not do it.
To do what I want to do (i.e., lock all doors with the truck running), I can use the valet key to start the truck (with all doors except the driver's door locked before starting the engine). I can then exit the truck and use the main key to manually lock the driver's door from the outside (using the antiquainted method of inserting the key into the keyhole and turning it), and all the doors stay locked with the engine running! Woo-hoo! Of course I can't use the remote to unlock the truck, but using the key manually to unlock the driver's door works just fine. I tested this using the valet key to start the truck and the main key to manually lock/unlock. It may also work the other way 'round as well (didn't test that).

Thanks for the replies. And yeah Tex's Ridge, I'd love a remote starter! When can you install it? ;)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Not to lecture you about security, but if you aren't a couple inches from your truck you are taking a very real risk by using a key to start it. And this risk may leave you libel if your car gets stolen to not getting a payoff from your insurance agency. Seriously consider a remote starter if you intend to do this frequently, I know they aren't cheap or easy to install but the added security would be well worth it.

I would hate to see someone lose their Ridgeline, or any vehicle for that matter.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I use the above method too for warming up the truck with valet key and locking with the master key, plus I use "club" steering lock at night and just don't remove it till I am ready to go.I know its not much but just little extra security.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not sure about the Ridgeline, but most older Hondas would allow you to override the prevention and manually lock the doors if you: 1) Standing outside of the driver's side door, 2) Hold up (open) on the driver's exterior door handle, 3) Push the lock button on the driver's door (armrest area), then 4) let go of the exterior handle & 5) close the door.

This worked in the days before key fobs and remote locking.:)

Cheers,
Jeffro

·
Registered
44 Posts
easy solution. most cars, not all have sensor in the drivers seat. all you have to do is put the seatbelt "on" and then lock the doors from the passenger side. This works on my 05 RSX type S. Hope it works for you. Couldnt test it yet, dont have my ridge till....well actually later today i hope.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts