Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

· Registered
2021 Black Edition
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my ‘21 BE last week and really like it. I have been reviewing tonneau covers for the last month and struggled with decision. Almost went back to Extang 2.0 soft tri-fold which I had on the ‘18 RTL-T. It was good. But I found a great deal on a Lomax hard tri fold on TonneauCovered.com. Super price and fast shipping.
Just wanted to share experience. The install was the easiest I have experienced in my last four covers. The fit is exceptional. It appears really well made, looks great, and is easy open and close. Very solid.
Will see how it performs over time but right now I would give it 5 stars.

· Registered
2022 Black Edition (black) 18Nov21
530 Posts
Is that the Matte Black? It looks nice. I’m trying to decide between the Lomax and the OEM/Solid Fold.
Yes - Matt black. It exactly matches the rest of the Matt black trim on the truck.

Gusto!

Note: I actually went to a dealer that primary sold a variety of different name brand covers for a living. Once I compared the build quality, ease of installation and the simplicity of usage I was sold! I didn’t buy there. Too expensive. Went online and found best deal and purchased.

Gusto!

· Registered
9 Posts
Yes - Matt black. It exactly matches the rest of the Matt black trim on the truck.

Gusto!

Note: I actually went to a dealer that primary sold a variety of different name brand covers for a living. Once I compared the build quality, ease of installation and the simplicity of usage I was sold! I didn’t buy there. Too expensive. Went online and found best deal and purchased.

Gusto!
Thanks for the great information. I’ve been debating whether this is something I can install myself, as I’m not particularly handy. Front what I’ve read in the many posts on ROC, it sounds like it’s a matter of using a Torx bit to unscrew the bolts, which should be easy enough. I do worry about getting the rails straight/level and not hurting the composite bed as I reinstall the bolts though.

· Premium Member
2022 RTL-E Crystal Black Pearl
1,688 Posts
Is that the Matte Black? It looks nice. I’m trying to decide between the Lomax and the OEM/Solid Fold.
The OEM sits on top of the bed rails and has a large profile and looks like poop IMPO. The Lomax looks awesome!

Reactions: Cleggy and JPB

· Registered
530 Posts
Thanks for the great information. I’ve been debating whether this is something I can install myself, as I’m not particularly handy. Front what I’ve read in the many posts on ROC, it sounds like it’s a matter of using a Torx bit to unscrew the bolts, which should be easy enough. I do worry about getting the rails straight/level and not hurting the composite bed as I reinstall the bolts though.
The install of the LOMAX in the Ridgeline is real simple. Remove the 3 bolts in the bed on each side of the Ridgeline and install the one piece rail on each side. Line up rail to top of bed. Install top check for alignment. Once happy, tighten bolts you’re done! Took my son and I less than 1/2 hour to do. You could do it by yourself but easily done with an extra hand.

You CAN do this!

Gusto!

· Registered
144 Posts
I will admit my own decision is also between the Lomax and the Extang. From what I've seen the Lomax is stronger, a bit better built, and a little nicer looking. But when lifted against the rear window to expose the entire bed, the Lomax loses because I am simply not going to glue some hook to the roof of my nearly-new Ridgeline to attach a strap to hold it up. The Extang's prop rods is a big deal. So I remain torn ...

· Registered
530 Posts
I will admit my own decision is also between the Lomax and the Extang. From what I've seen the Lomax is stronger, a bit better built, and a little nicer looking. But when lifted against the rear window to expose the entire bed, the Lomax loses because I am simply not going to glue some hook to the roof of my nearly-new Ridgeline to attach a strap to hold it up. The Extang's prop rods is a big deal. So I remain torn ...
I did not get that version!! I got the more simple less complicated one. Just lift up the retaining string and lift the cover off. No need to f**k with trying to line up the cover over the roof line. Keep it simple! Need full bed space remove and leave at home. Or if out and about remove and it fits along side one truck panels. Plus, it just keeps it clean w/o having the cover block your rear view mirror.

I usually just say you truck your choice. But after using several different covers over 2 Colorados and now 2 Ridgelines this is the absolute best choice.

No. I did not get paid for this endorsement!

Gusto!

· Registered
530 Posts
Yes, I’m sure there are other equally great choices. I’m not saying there are not. Your needs and reason for purchase might be significantly different than mine.

Gusto!

· Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
8,861 Posts
How far does the Lomax fold up without removing it? Does one panel remain in the down position, and the other two lay on top of it? Thank you. A photo of it opened all the way while installed would be nice.

· Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,743 Posts
Theoretically, you could prop up the Lomax long enough to fit your cargo in the bed, then let the tonneau rest back on your cargo, with a blanket in-between. As long as you aren't going too far, it shouldn't damage the cover.

· Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,743 Posts
How far does the Lomax fold up without removing it? Does one panel remain in the down position, and the other two lay on top of it? Thank you. A photo of it opened all the way while installed would be nice.
I believe there are two versions. One where the front panel remains in place with the other two panels stacked on top, and another version where the front panel is hinged so that all three panels can tilt up toward the window. I could be wrong, though... haven't researched it.

· Registered
91 Posts
I HATE THIS THREAD!!! It just cost me over $800!!! When I saw the look and realized the functionality of the Lomax aluminum tri fold tonneau cover, I just HAD to order one of the last two matt black covers at TonneauCovered.com (that were in stock), thanks to the recommendation from the OP Dan Galloway and the beautiful pics from MaineMan. Thanks a lot Dan and MaineMan, for helping me to blow 8+ Benjamins.:eek:

· Registered
530 Posts
@Sparkland - first thing you need to know it’s 8 degrees in my garage. Blizzard going on outside. Glad I could remain in my 4 car garage! (Yes, I’m bragging). Here’s a few pics.

Tri-fold operates easily. You can open or close the cover or the tailgate in any order. Doesn’t matter which one open/close first.
Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tail & brake light

In full disclosure, the trunk opens up but stops about 2 inches from being fully opened. The two rails the cover sits on prevents fully opening it. But, not an issue.
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Finally, you can see when fully open it still rides on the rails for 22 inches.

But here’s the best part. With the model I have (minus the hook to roof model) pull down the release cables, slide cover back a couple of inches and it lifts right off!! Leave at home or take it with as it fits nicely in the bed of the truck.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

Edit: Where I live along the coast of Maine we could get 20 inches or more of snow before it ends.
Snow Plant Natural landscape Twig Wood

Gusto!

· Registered
530 Posts
Theoretically, you could prop up the Lomax long enough to fit your cargo in the bed, then let the tonneau rest back on your cargo, with a blanket in-between. As long as you aren't going too far, it shouldn't damage the cover.
”Theoretically”. - yes, that would work for the LOMAX. But to make that happen you’d have to unclip it from the front. Making it likely to fall off in a sharp turn.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts