Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being victim of a rear-end collision that totaled my prior daily driver, I needed a new car pronto. Was all over the place on potential replacement, from a Chevy SS to a Grand Cherokee, looked at a VW GTI, a WRX, a Taco, hell I even looked at getting my wife a new minivan and adopting her old Odyssey as my new daily. But while several of these choices checked some of my "want" boxes, none satisfied the full checklist of "needs".

I needed something that could serve as a weekender, with the ability to haul a family of five with a bunch of dirty bikes, camping gear, beach stuff, etc. Something that could pull a trailer with my boat or a couple tons of mulch, maybe a lightweight camper. Something with sufficient ground clearance to handle a little light off-roading, AWD to get me through in snow country. Something that would have respectable drivability to handle the cut& thrust of metropolitan rush hour traffic, and get not-terrible gas mileage during my ridiculously long commute.

At the overlap of that amazingly complex Venn diagram of priorities was the Honda Ridgeline. Local dealer had several in stock, but no Black Editions which is what I was really looking for. But I didn't let that stop me from going in to kick tires.

Turns out the dealer did have a Black Edition in stock that hadn't yet made it onto their web site. But I was won over by the simple class of a Forest Mist RTL-E. One test drive and three hours later I had it parked in my driveway just in time to endure a six-inch dumping of sleet. At least the in-bed audio made shoveling around it much more pleasant.

I have many stories and many first impressions from my first 400 miles that I hope to share, and I look forward to collaborating with others on wacky modifications that no one with a clear head should embark on with a brand new $40k car :)

Salut,
/s/
MV

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Congrats on your RL and welcome to the ROC!

You've peaked my interest with 'wacky modifications', cat't wait to see what you have in mind. :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on your RL and welcome to the ROC!

You've peaked my interest with 'wacky modifications', cat't wait to see what you have in mind. :)
Thanks!

My first crazy thought was that a four-inch lift and some beadlock meats would help bridge the gap between the stock RL and the more dedicated Taco TRD Pro that I had been eyeing before I bought the RL, but then there goes on-road handling and gas mileage ... and frankly the purpose of having a more civilized and comfortable ride than the Taco. Also if I did that I'd probably have to get a different vehicle to fit into the parking garage at work.

So, more practically speaking, my main goal is to make sure I'm equipped for a little beach driving when the time comes (ncbryan is speaking my language on this in the Beach Driving thread since I'd primarily be doing this on the Carolina Outer Banks). I'm encouraged that others have had good experiences with the RL AWD system in the sand but unless you deinflate there isn't an AWD system in the world that will save you. Then you need to reinflate when coming off the sand. To this end it would be easy enough to throw a compressor in the trunk/boot and run it off the included 115V outlet, but I like to make things difficult so I might look into how one might hardwire a compressor that would be available whenever I felt like it. Don't know what it is, but I seem to run into a lot of situations where an air compressor would come in handy.

Only other wacky mod I'm considering right now is ripping out the !*&^%!ing touch screen and installing an 80's era hi-fi system. Give me some damn knobs and buttons already. A CD input would be nice, too. As long as it will work the in-bed audio!

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,265 Posts
Congrats on your, New G2

Welcome to the ROC.

Good Luck and Enjoy the Ride

·
Super Moderator
1,563 Posts
80's era hifi lol Good luck with that one ! I concur on the touchscreen IMO it sucks. (wonder if the Chrysler screen would work in these things)

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
To this end it would be easy enough to throw a compressor in the trunk/boot and run it off the included 115V outlet, but I like to make things difficult so I might look into how one might hardwire a compressor that would be available whenever I felt like it.
You could be the first one to 'bag' a G2 Ridgeline, giving you instantly variable ride heigh and as a bonus you could use compressor to air up the tires. ;)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Welcome to the ROC! Where in "Red State" Maryland are you? I'm gonna assume southern and as far away from Baltimore as possible?! LOL!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts