Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

We're looking a 2006 RTL this weekend with 134,000 miles that's been owned by an older woman since 2007. It's listed for around 8k, but she says it's in perfect condition. She says that all service has been done on time and at Honda dealers, including synthetic oil whenever MM called for it. She also said she had a belt changed around 100k after I asked about the timing belt. It really sounds like she just did whatever the recommended maintenance was. She said she's used the RL to drive from Oregon to Arizona and back as she migrates in the winter.

What I'm wondering is if I may be able to get service records from a Honda dealer if I get the VIN? Or would I have to pull carfax? Does this sound like a good deal overall? The price is a bit over KBB, but it's still a lot lower than comps I'm seeing in my area. We are looking at the RL because it can fit our 3 kids and haul loads for our house/yard work.

Thanks for your input!

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
Hey all,

We're looking a 2006 RTL this weekend with 134,000 miles that's been owned by an older woman since 2007. It's listed for around 8k, but she says it's in perfect condition. She says that all service has been done on time and at Honda dealers, including synthetic oil whenever MM called for it. She also said she had a belt changed around 100k after I asked about the timing belt. It really sounds like she just did whatever the recommended maintenance was. She said she's used the RL to drive from Oregon to Arizona and back as she migrates in the winter.

What I'm wondering is if I may be able to get service records from a Honda dealer if I get the VIN? Or would I have to pull carfax? Does this sound like a good deal overall? The price is a bit over KBB, but it's still a lot lower than comps I'm seeing in my area. We are looking at the RL because it can fit our 3 kids and haul loads for our house/yard work.

Thanks for your input!
You can enter the VIN on mycarfax.com if you have a free account and add it to your "garage.". This should allow you to see all the services done, if she in fact took it to the Honda dealer. There is a slight chance that the Honda dealer does not report services to carfax, although mine does.

The RL would be a great choice for your intended use. Personally, I would not pay $8K, but somewhere above $7K, if the service records check out. You will have to change the radiator, due the SMOD. Do a search on that. Basically, the connection between the radiator and transmission fails causing transmission failure. You could use that as a bargaining chip. Hope it all works out.

·
Premium Member
2,834 Posts
For $7500 tell her to get the radiator and thermostat changed along with the hoses. Honestly that would be a decent deal considering she probably would take it to the dealership. Ensure that the oil, transfer case, transmission, and read diff fluids are fairly recent.

If it was serviced at the dealer, the vehicles do command a higher price (typically) due to the general population viewing it as God sent.
Even I would tend to lean towards a vehicle serviced at a dealership, or a shop I am proficient with. However, I never take my vehicles to the dealership for basic service.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Ah, the "Driven by a little old lady" trick...😊

1 - 6 of 6 Posts