Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new vehicle and the RL is on my short list. I previously drove a Pilot and made the mistake of trading it last year for a Tundra- great truck but over time is uncomfortable for me to drive (back/neck pain) and more truck than what I need.

My needs are basically something to drive every day (to work, around town, etc.), tow a 3000# trailer about 50 times/ year distances typically less than 100 miles on pretty flat terrain, and then take the family (wife and 2 small kids) on family trips.

I have driven a RL and really like the way it drives/handles.

For those who own one, do you think it would be a good fit for my needs? I am also considering a larger SUV than my Pilot (something like a Tahoe) and also keep reading good things about the New Coloroado, although I've never owned a non-Japanese vehicle.

Thanks for any input!

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Jamie, it sounds like you are exactly the buyer Honda had in mind when they designed the Ridgeline. Drive one and it it feels right, buy it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, it does seem that way. The biggest question mark to me is how will the powertrain hold up long term (I keep vehicles a long time) with towing 3000# every week. I have read many of the posts on the towing forum and seems others have had good success, but also know others I have talked to who seem to think the RL is designed more for occasional towing as opposed to that frequent.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,410 Posts
A Ridgeline will tow 3,000# well. We've had 2 and my only complaint is the "Tow mode" button. It locks out 4th and 5th and confines you to gears 1-3. Third gear is a bit low so you wouldn't want to stay in it for extended periods, necessitating a higher gear. Your only choice is "Drive" which means the transmission is going to hunt more than you'll want. For my wife's occasional towing it's fine, but for your 50 times a year, I would want a selectable transmission like I have in my Durango R/T which allows me any gear any time + tow mode. No offense all, just my $0.02.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think the same would be true (regarding transmission searching) given that I live and drive in very flat terrain?

I did do a 15 minute test drive with the trailer and it felt good, much better than pulling it with my Pilot. I used to drive.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,588 Posts
A Ridgeline will tow 3,000# well. We've had 2 and my only complaint is the "Tow mode" button. It locks out 4th and 5th and confines you to gears 1-3. Third gear is a bit low so you wouldn't want to stay in it for extended periods, necessitating a higher gear. Your only choice is "Drive" which means the transmission is going to hunt more than you'll want. For my wife's occasional towing it's fine, but for your 50 times a year, I would want a selectable transmission like I have in my Durango R/T which allows me any gear any time + tow mode. No offense all, just my $0.02.
FWIW, D3 is not tow mode on the RL. Tow mode is D.

From the OM:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=245541&postcount=220

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Ditto Speed's comment. This (D3) is NOT a tow mode. Do NOT tow there continuously. If you don't want the truck choosing your gears (in D), then you don't want a Ridgeline. Having said that, it does just fine.... some owners just can't take the ongoing gear changes on mountain roads or grades. That's what's needed with this V6, so you need to be aware your tranny will get some exercise... as it is supposed to. No worries.

FYI, D3 is for engine braking on grades if you choose to use it that way.... note that the tranny will do a fair amount of this on it's own while in D as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts