Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

I am thinking about checking out a 2007 Ridgeline RTL and have done a little research about possible issues. I am hoping to get some inside into whether or not it is worth my time, things to look for, and things to plan for. They have not had the radiator or timing belt done so I would plan on having that done for sure (is this a possible DIY thing, I have lots of experience under the hood). I also read to check fluids and check out the rear motor mount (if anyone has any idea HOW to check it, I imagine it's pretty tucked back there and hard to get to).

ASKING $7000

Thank you all in advance!

Here's the link...

2007 Honda Ridgeline RTL

· Registered
3,082 Posts
I have a 2007 RL as well, but with less than half the mileage. It looks nice from the pics. It did say $8450 for a price on the add. I'd be concerned with the "Very little Maintenance" statement. That could mean lack of scheduled maintenance, or it didn't have much break over the years, but otherwise maintained. I think it would be worth checking out, but with the caveat that it is what it is, a vehicle with a lot of miles on it. Full maintenance records is the first thing I'd ask to see.

Reactions: Carsmak

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,891 Posts
Depending on your skill set, Timing Belt is DIY, many will get the AISIN kit, not sure on the rear motor mount, but the side one on the passenger side, near the timing belt will often leak, and stain the wheel well arch.

Definately do the radiator at the time of TB install

If it was me I'd want to see maint records, if you have more info on the RL, please post it up

· Registered
3,082 Posts
I'd walk, out of concern that this person didn't keep records, or he is not the original seller, unless he can point you to where he/she got maintenance done and you can check with that service facility. Sorry, my red flag came up a little late.

· Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,175 Posts
The price is good for it, but no maintenance history is gut wrenching. Being that the owner of the truck is selling it, you can ask specifically what he HAS done in the past. If he's never changed the transmission fluid, rear diff fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid or front transfer case gear oil (with the tranny and rear diff fluids being by far the MOST important), I would also walk away. I have that exact same truck - 07 nimbus grey RTL - with 153,000 miles on the clock. Mine has been strictly maintained and is still in wonderful condition.

If this truck had only seen easy highway miles its whole life, it's still likely got some good life left in it. Just know that it's a risk that there is going to be damage to the rear diff and tranny due to fluid neglect. If you buy it, the VERY first thing you should do is a complete trans fluid change which will take a case of DW-1 (about $100). All of the other fluids should be drained and filled as well using Honda genuine stuff for everything but the gear oil and engine oil. The timing belt service will certainly need to be done and you will want to change the spark plugs, radiator and coolant while you're at it. If you DIY, you'll have about $700 in parts and fluids to do all of this. Having a dealership or shop do all of this for you would be approximately $2000.

The private party value of the truck in your area ranges between $6200 and $9000 depending on its actual condition. If you can get the truck for $6500-7000 and put the work into it to get it back to good condition, I think you'd have a good runner for at least a few years.

· Premium Member
1,817 Posts
The statement: "This vehicle has put on miles all over the country with very little maintenance" is either incredibly naive or intentionally misleading. Did the seller construct those words to convey the truck is reliable? Or do they mean the owner hasn't followed maintenance schedule?

As has been suggested, records are the only trustworthy mechanism to actually know its history. I'm jaded and been burned by not being a responsible consumer. IMO: $7K is a lot to ask for a high mileage vehicle - which may or may not be worth every penny. Even if maintenance has been performed to the letter, vehicles with 171K are destined to have a few issues sooner or later. The seller should be prepared to answer all questions while looking you straight in the eye - and backing up whatever he says with records.

I've adopted what might be considered a hard a$$ attitude when dealing with private sellers. They don't have to like the guy handing over their asking price - but they do have to prove the vehicle is worth what they are asking. This ain't a game and there aren't do-overs. Grill his a$$, make him prove the vehicle is worth your dollars.

And don't forget to trust your gut.

5 Gut Instincts You Don't Want to Ignore

· Registered
5,700 Posts
The statement: "This vehicle has put on miles all over the country with very little maintenance" is either incredibly naive or intentionally misleading. Did the seller construct those words to convey the truck is reliable? Or do they mean the owner hasn't followed maintenance schedule? ...........
My guess is that "very little maintenance" was intended to convey
"very few problems/repairs". Just a guess.

· Premium Member
1,817 Posts
My guess is that "very little maintenance" was intended to convey
"very few problems/repairs". Just a guess.
That would be my guess too. But that's giving the seller benefit of the doubt - which has burned the wallet carried on the right cheek of my a$$ more than once.

The OP states the TB and rad haven't been replaced - and there's plenty of folk around here who have gone 171K and more before that service so it's a toss up until follow up questions are answered. If the RL in question has had regular fluid service It's likely a safe buy - with eyes wide open TB and Rad are a must and ^should be^ around $1K to complete. IF the seller has followed the MM, he should be able to roll codes right off the tongue and speak to the fluids used. ETC. Anyhoo. I hope the OP author keeps his radar in high gain mode.

Finding the right RL can be rewarding - od it can be a disappointment. Best of luck to him!

· Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,175 Posts
My honest recommendation would be to pass on it. A few grand more will get a truck with fewer miles that will have better maintenance history. If the seller isn't able or willing to even construct a detail-oriented ad, what makes you think that he's been anywhere near particular enough with this truck? As I said earlier, RL's are tough and reliable in general, but fluid negligence will hurt any vehicle. Plus, if he's neglected the timing belt, spark plugs, radiator and other odds and ends for this long, guaranteed the only thing he's ever done is change the oil from time to time. As OhSix said, grill the guy. Ask him every question you can think of. If he can't answer them or gets frustrated with you, then he's not worth giving your hard earned money for a Ridgeline that he neglected. There has to be a reason that he's selling this truck - and not a good one. People don't just get rid of high mileage, perfectly functioning vehicles for no reason.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.