Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a local guy selling a 2013 Ridgeline RTL with 140k miles on it for 13,500 Ive asked the basics. All fluids changed? Transmission, engine, transfer case and diff? Yes, good! Timing belt has not been changed yet, so that needs to be done ASAP. He said that the rack and pinion was changed 8 months ago, is that common? Anything I should be checking on these? I am hoping I can get some kind of loan, but with 140k miles, unsure.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,144 Posts
At around 105K the timing belt+tensioners, serp belt, water pump, coolant, and spark plugs should have been changed. Valve adjustment should also be done at the same time. Being a bit late is probably no big deal.
On a vehicle with 140k miles I would check all motor mounts, control arms (compliance bushings, ball joints) front and rear shocks, sway bar bushings and end links, and all the axles. Brake serviced recently and fluid changed? Check for rust. ETC, ETC, ETC

·
Super Moderator
5,373 Posts
I have a local guy selling a 2013 Ridgeline RTL with 140k miles on it for 13,500 Ive asked the basics. All fluids changed? Transmission, engine, transfer case and diff? Yes, good! Timing belt has not been changed yet, so that needs to be done ASAP. He said that the rack and pinion was changed 8 months ago, is that common? Anything I should be checking on these? I am hoping I can get some kind of loan, but with 140k miles, unsure.
I would not say rack and pinion replacement is common for the G1, but it could have been done for any number of reasons. It could have merely started leaking and most people replace the entire unit rather than just the boot.

You will have to check the transmission fittings for corrosion at the radiator.

Has it ever been in any accidents, so far as you know? I would politely inform the seller of the things that need to be addressed and ask for a reduction in price of maybe $1,500-2,000.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would not say rack and pinion replacement is common for the G1, but it could have been done for any number of reasons. It could have merely started leaking and most people replace the entire unit rather than just the boot.

Has it ever been in any accidents, so far as you know? I would politely inform the seller of the things that need to be addressed and ask for a reduction in price of maybe $1,500-2,000.
CarFax says no accidents, but I am starting to agree with you here, there is a fair amount of work that will need to be done. Basic maintenance but still. He says he is looking to trade in but wanted to try to sell it first. That being said, I dont know how much he is willing to come down. Once you cross that trade in value, he may feel it would be easier to just trade it in.

·
Super Moderator
5,373 Posts
CarFax says no accidents, but I am starting to agree with you here, there is a fair amount of work that will need to be done. Basic maintenance but still. He says he is looking to trade in but wanted to try to sell it first. That being said, I dont know how much he is willing to come down. Once you cross that trade in value, he may feel it would be easier to just trade it in.
Just a guess, but I imagine the dealer is offering in the neighborhood of $11.5K for the RTL.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a guess, but I imagine the dealer is offering in the neighborhood of $11.5K for the RTL.
Yes, I agree, so I dont think there is much wiggle room and after watching the video's for this job...I can probably do it, but I dont want to let me tell ya.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have a local guy selling a 2013 Ridgeline RTL with 140k miles on it for 13,500 Ive asked the basics.
Timing belt has not been changed yet, so that needs to be done ASAP.
This is a REALLY HORRIBLE deal.

People are reporting getting remaining new 2019 RTLs for $30,000.

Using the 2019 pricing above as your baseline, and assuming you get rid of vehicles when they reach 200K miles (if you keep them longer, then adjust the numbers)...
You should pay LESS THAN $9,000 for the 2013 Ridgeline RTL.

As it stands now, the used truck costs nearly half (45%) of a new model, but has 70% of its miles already used up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts