Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. New here. First post. Been lurking for about a month.

I am in the process to trying to buy a truck. I currently drive the biggest POS 2016 Jeep Cherokee Sport. It's a company car and I despise it. My manager gave me the go-ahead to get out of the company car program and buy my own car. I will be claiming business mileage on it so I need something that will be reliable long-term. I drive about 800-1000+ business mile a month on top of my 300+ personal miles.

I narrowed my search down to 2 trucks:
- 2019 Ranger XLT sport with the technology package
-2019 Ridgeline RTL-T AWD

My biggest requirements are Apple Carplay and Auto Climate control.

The Ridgeline is miles beyond what the Ranger offers for the same price. It's bigger, has more features, and is far more comfortable.

I have been looking and have good prices from 2 dealers.

Dealer 1:
$36,969 out the door with all taxes and fees paid. CT sales tax is 6.35%. I do not know what the actual truck price is in this deal but that's a good OTD deal in my opinion. I will be using the $500 military rebate on top of that price.

Dealer 2:
$33,503.31 sale price. $36,600 out the door. I went there last night with my family to put the deposit on the truck and walked out. The sales person they handed me to seemed completely uninterested in helping me and didn't even acknowledge my wife nor offer her a chair to sit in. He acted like it was an inconvenience to bring a vehicle around her her to look at and sit it. Then when it came time to explain everything he left it up to me and just stood in the back acting like he was cold and wanted to go back inside. Both my wife and I left there feeling completely uneasy about him and the dealership. They also want an additional $300 to locate the truck I want because they do not have it in stock.

Dealer 1 is 45 minutes away and Dealer 2 is 10 minutes. I think I want to go to dealer 2 and spend a little more because the sales person I interacted with there wasn't a creep. They also will not change a locator fee.

Does this look like a good deal for an RTL-T AWD?

·
Registered
882 Posts
In case I didnt read correctly. You went to detail about how bad dealer 2 was. But said you wanted to go back to them.. did I misunderstand?

The one thing with dealers is you don't have to become best friends, but it would be nice to be greeted nicely when you go back for service or pick up accessories for your truck. And not dread how you or your wife will be greeted or taken care of when you do return to them. The prices are close and don't seem bad. So the dealer that treated you the best would be my choice.

You also can report to Honda about how you and your wife were treated good or bad.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,725 Posts
If you got a bad feeling dealing with the sales person, you will probably feel even worse when you hit the finance office at dealer #2. Does dealer #1 have the vehicle you want in stock? I would always choose to purchase a vehicle I can see and check over first hand without being in a rush. Don't sign papers and then hope the vehicle will meet your expectations.

My vote is for dealer #1.

·
Super Moderator
12,361 Posts
To get a good feel for pricing, try this thread:

If most of your time will be spent on pavement and you never tow more than 5,000 lbs., the Ridgeline should be a no-brainer. I think the Ranger is a decent looking truck on the outside and it will have a very slight (almost insignificant) fuel economy advantage.

As far as choosing a dealer, I generally buy where I get the best price. The vehicles are all the same. Attitude is less important to me because chances are I'll never see those salespeople again, but I'll be in the vehicle every day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you got a bad feeling dealing with the sales person, you will probably feel even worse when you hit the finance office at dealer #2. Does dealer #1 have the vehicle you want in stock? I would always choose to purchase a vehicle I can see and check over first hand without being in a rush. Don't sign papers and then hope the vehicle will meet your expectations.

My vote is for dealer #1.
Neither dealer has it in stock. Everyone has mostly Sports and RTL-Es. The one that has an RTL-T in the color I want is asking $800 more than dealer 1 but they offer an additional 9 months an 9k miles on top of the warranty.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Dealer #3? Why are you limiting yourself to just two dealers in this day and age of the Internet? When we started looking at the Ridgeline I was searching all dealers within a 200 mile radius for a Sport model which gave me a really good foundation of what to expect price wise. When our local dealer offered us a RTL at a lower cost than everybody else wwere asking for their Sport models, we jumped on it.

Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealer #3? Why are you limiting yourself to just two dealers in this day and age of the Internet? When we started looking at the Ridgeline I was searching all dealers within a 200 mile radius for a Sport model which gave me a really good foundation of what to expect price wise. When our local dealer offered us a RTL at a lower cost than everybody else wwere asking for their Sport models, we jumped on it.

Bill
I had it down to 2 dealers after speaking with about 7 via email and on the phone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried the USAA car buying service. It is powered by True Car now and only gives you that pricing. A local dealer here had advertised pricing on their website lower than it so I used that as my start point for negotiations. Most dealers in the area were able to come in far below it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I tried the USAA car buying service. It is powered by True Car now and only gives you that pricing. A local dealer here had advertised pricing on their website lower than it so I used that as my start point for negotiations. Most dealers in the area were able to come in far below it.
Good to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Stay away from True Car, they suck. They inform 5 dealers your in the market. But you end up with dealers calling and harassing you to sell what they have in stock on the lot, but they don't have the trim level or color your shopping for that you keyed in at True Car. Oh but they can find one or get you one from the factory, fat chance in hell.

Go to Cars.com and search the closest dealer that has your trim level and color you are looking for. We drove 150 miles to get the wife's Pilot that no one locally could produce.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I also like the t, when I first started looking most on the lots were e or be, now most are sport or rtl. I wish the t got a turn to be heavily in inventory.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought a RTL-E for $38,600 in January-2019 which was I believe $5500 off sticker.
I really enjoy driving the Ridgeline because if rides like a luxury car and is so very quiet. I can't hear cars that are passing along side.
Good luck and enjoy your new Ridgeline.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That is true of most car buying services. I tried COSTCO, Consumer Reports, and credit union. I did better on my own.

·
Registered
126 Posts
That is true of most car buying services. I tried COSTCO, Consumer Reports, and credit union. I did better on my own.
I used SAM'S Club pricing which is True Car to start my conversation with four dealers. All gave me a price via email except for my local (nearest) dealer. They did respond and say that they could better the SAM's pricing but I had to view it in person. Oh boy, here comes the hard sell I thought so I put it off. I was in a few weeks later to get the headlight replaced under warranty on the wife's Accord and swung in the sales manager's office to introduce myself. He had no qualms showing me the buying service price and the price they were willing to do. I ended up with a much better price in the end. I had some work stuff going on so I couldn't get there in the time frame I would have liked but I kept them informed that I was still interested. A month later I walk in to test drive and talk numbers and they honored the price they showed me earlier. No issues, super easy to work with. Shop around and use all the tools you have available to make sure you get the best price possible. Bottom line is no matter what anyone else pays for a RL, you have to be happy with the deal you make and the dealership you interact with.

·
Registered
268 Posts
$800 extra for a 9 month/9k mile warranty extension is not a good price. True car pricing service has been about $1100 more than the prices I got on my last several vehicles when I shopped around for the best internet price, but I am lucky to have a low-cost dealer 1.5 miles from my house. I'd look online to see who has the vehicle you want, then get an internet price quote and find the best deal. Or find the best deal on the same model you want at your prefered dealer, then order it or just wait for it to come in in the right color combination. You'll always pay more if they have to get the truck from another dealer.

The Ridgeline is way better than the Ford for most purposes. You might considered getting the "E" for the extra safety features, but you are forced to buy other features you may not want.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts