Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

I Recently purchased a 2015 Jayco Hybrid Travel trailer which weighs 4000 to 4500lbs loaded . I quickly found out the lack of performance with my 09' ridgeline . I love the truck too much to trade in on a V8 Half ton.

So I am looking for advice on improving perforance when towing .
I am considering the Rv6 pre cat delete kit and deleting my third cat . I live in a province which does not have any emission testing or laws so my only concern is how loud the truck will be after removing all the cats and leaving the stock muffler. I am not wanting the truck to be loud and raspy. Will a simple resonator in place of the third cat be sufficient ?

Hope i can get some responce from people who have done the same mods. And who can steer me in the right direction. Thanks

·
Registered
431 Posts
Personally I think the pre-cat delete is the best bang for the buck mod you can do to the RL along with the RV6 J-pipe combined there is an easy 30hp 30ft lbs of gain for about $600-$700. I've done the J-pipe but I don't believe there is one available for the 09+ models yet. My next mod will likely be the pre-cat delete, I believe there is only a hand full of people on this forum that have done the mod so I would not expect much as far as specific advice from this thread.

As far as sound the RV6 j-pipe added a nice bit of grunt to the exhaust note and I would expect the same from the cat delete. Its not a drastic difference but when you get into the throttle there is a definite tone difference. I would recommend keeping your third cat to help with the gas smell that you will likely have if you get rid of all the cat's. I plan to use a aftermarket high flow in the place of the third cat. I think with the pre-cat delete and the J-pipe with stock exhaust the truck is actually going to sound pretty damn good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jonb ,

I sure hope Rv6 performance makes a 09+ j pipe soon .
I dont beleive in cold air intakes and cat back exhaust making any real world power gains. But the dyno sheets ive seen from RV6 dont lie .

I guess my only worry is keeping the interior cabin noise as close to stock as I can . Call me old but I like how quiet my Ridgeline is and would prefer to keep it that way .

Another thought ive had was going to honda for a ecu software update . I like the idea of the latest and greatest software to keep my trans shifting and everything the best it can be.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I'm no expert, but I'd think that if you keep the muffler & resonator in place, you wouldn't think there would be much change in exhaust volume (sound volume). This presumes you don't use thin wall pipe for your "patches".

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before I email RV6 directly , exactly how much of a gain would I get with just doing the PCD's on my Ridgeline. Maybe 15 - 20 Hp ?

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Well, for about 15-20c on the dollar you can get 10 hp by using premium over regular.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,340 Posts
When you are towing, what RPM range are you typically in? At what RPM are the (suggested by JonB) 30hp/30ft lbs gains that J pipe provides?
Are there any gains at towing RPMs? . . .

Saying it makes additional X horsepower doesn't mean squat unless it is power where you are actually using it . . .

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,432 Posts
I pull an even heavier trailer and I too have been disappointed in my 09's lack of power when towing this load. I notice a big difference using premium gas when towing, particularly on the second tank of premium. --I don't know why it takes a full tank of premium gas before my RL's performance increases, but it does.-- The big benefits are an increase in mid-range torque and horsepower. Premium gas will not add much to the top end of the RPM band but it adds a lot to the bottom end and mid-range, which is where your engine should be spending most of its time as you tow.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Eurban,

When towing my trailer I can usually keep the rpm at 2800 ish . Thats doing about 90kph in 4th gear , if im in 3rd its usually around 3600 to 4000 rpm.

From what ive heard and seen from the RV6 dyno sheets the PCD's seem to enhance low and midrange power. But yes I am a little reluctant to spend somewhere around $500 canadian for these PCD's . And for something that might make my exhaust sound more like a "ricer" .
I may just stick with the premium fuel when towing and I might replace all 4 of my a/f and o2 sensors just for maintance purposes. My Ridgeline has 130,000 kms (80,000 miles) on it , so im starting to do all my fluids and flushes. Already did the 4 drain and refills on the transmission and noticed a great improvement in shift quality. Also recently did a valve adjustment too. Thanks to all you guys for your input on this !

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,432 Posts
jordoncloutier,

It sounds like you know what you're doing. Just in case you are new to towing heavy loads with the RL, I put together my "does and don'ts" for towing heavy loads with our truck on this post. You may find it useful, or not.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Eurban,

When towing my trailer I can usually keep the rpm at 2800 ish . Thats doing about 90kph in 4th gear , if im in 3rd its usually around 3600 to 4000 rpm.

From what ive heard and seen from the RV6 dyno sheets the PCD's seem to enhance low and midrange power. But yes I am a little reluctant to spend somewhere around $500 canadian for these PCD's . And for something that might make my exhaust sound more like a "ricer" .
I may just stick with the premium fuel when towing and I might replace all 4 of my a/f and o2 sensors just for maintance purposes. My Ridgeline has 130,000 kms (80,000 miles) on it , so im starting to do all my fluids and flushes. Already did the 4 drain and refills on the transmission and noticed a great improvement in shift quality. Also recently did a valve adjustment too. Thanks to all you guys for your input on this !

With the stock exhaust you will not sound ricey, I would not be writing off these because of how the exhaust might sound. Again with just the j-pipe it has only made the exhaust have a more throaty sound. Truck sound stock at idle and cruising rpm's just has some more grunt when you get into it. It in no way sound "ricer".

Heres a link to an accord with stock exhaust and pre cats, high flow pre cats and pre cat delete's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EowWnYnNAog&feature=youtu.be

For anyone looking for more info on the pre cat deletes. Now these are all on other honda vehicles so results may vary but the RV6 PCD and HFPC as well as the J-pipe have been proven time and time again to make power. Will peak hp and tq be down low? NO but nor is the 10hp with premium fuel but you will still gain down low it just wont be as high as peak gains. I can tell you there is a seat of the pants difference down low and mid range with just the j-pipe.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37738

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/51-8th-generation/53915-rv6-precat-deletes-dyno-results.html

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/225-performance/240361-dyno-results-rv6-pcds-vs-rv6-hfpc.html

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/225-performance/236954-rv6-precat-deletes-highflow-precats-header-options-now-available-3-5l-v6.html

·
Registered
285 Posts
I towed a 4500lb car trailer with three guys, gear, tools etc. braking was excellent, stability was great and the power was not that bad. 20 years ago you had trucks rated for 8k pounds towing with less hp and tq than the Rl. The rpms stay higher but ther power I'd there. I actually passed a rig going up a 6 degree hill at about 65mph.

Keep up on the maintenance, do the valve adjustment if due, use high octane. But the bottom line, it is what it is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts