Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a long time Honda/Acura owner but have always had a ladder frame truck since our small business needed a truck that could handle a substantial plow. With COVID things have changed. So now looking at an RL.

The problem is I don't need a pretty clean, refurbished vehicle with 60k miles or less at a premium. I prefer something with 90k-120k miles as it will get driven. My 97 NSX has almost 190k miles. So mileage does not scare me.

What are the things (besides water pump/timing belt, etc) that I should be aware of? If anyone has a vehicle for sale that matches that description or you are about to trade it in for a 2020, feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
Charlie.

·
Administrator
15,237 Posts
I'd be hesitant to recommend a 2017-2019 Ridgeline that was no longer under warranty at this point. Fuel injectors, transmissions, and water leaks appear to be some of the more major issues. Other problems reported multiple times include interior hood fluttering, rearview camera wiring harness failure, alarms going off for no reason, and start pushbutton failure.

Would a 1G do? If so, I'd recommend a 2009-2014. The 2G is proving to be less reliable than the 1G so far.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,815 Posts
The 2G is proving to be less reliable than the 1G so far IMO.
Fixed that for ya ;)

Methinks that there's room for debate in that nothing is "proven" in consideration of the overall significance / rate / likelihood of occurrence of various issues between the two generations; 1st gen SMOD (past or yet-to-occur), for example, should not be overlooked as a very real and significant risk when considering purchase of those older models.

Neither generation is without it's faults and risks.

IMO.
@CarCrazed4Life / Charlie: IF your search expands to include pre-2017 / G1 RLs, please specifically search the term "SMOD" on this site for background, as well as generally browsing this sub forum.

IF your focus remains on G2, browsing this sub forum may give you some idea of things to be mindful about:
Happy Hunting!

·
Administrator
15,237 Posts
Fixed that for ya ;)

Methinks that there's room for debate in that nothing is "proven" in consideration of the overall significance / rate / likelihood of occurrence of various issues between the two generations; 1st gen SMOD (past or yet-to-occur), for example, should not be overlooked as a very real and significant risk when considering purchase of those older models.

Neither generation is without it's faults and risks.

IMO.

@CarCrazed4Life / Charlie: IF your search expands to include pre-2017 / G1 RLs, please specifically search the term "SMOD" on this site for background, as well as generally browsing this sub forum.

IF your focus remains on G2, browsing this sub forum may give you some idea of things to be mindful about:
Happy Hunting!
I'm going to counter your addition of "IMO" with "based on the reports I've seen on this forum as a daily member for 13 years and my own experience with five Ridgelines including a 2007, 2010, 2014, 2017, and 2019". :)

Also, the SMOD issue seems to affect mostly 2006-2008 Ridgelines, but maybe that's because they're older.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, the SMOD issue seems to affect mostly 2006-2008 Ridgelines, but maybe that's because they're older.
I thought the G2 RL has a separate AT Cooler not integrated into the Radiator as well as an AT warmer that is NOT integrated into the Radiator which fixed the SMOD (btw its happened to Nissan and Toyota as well, so not exclusive to Honda). Am I incorrect?

·
Administrator
15,237 Posts
AWD Ridgelines have an external cooler - FWD Ridgelines don't. All Ridgeline have a "warmer" (which will also function as a cooler if the transmission gets hotter than the engine). On the 1G, it was inside the radiator. On the 2G it is external. The part number for the radiator on the 2009-2014 Ridgeline is different than the 2006-2008. Most (all?) "SMOD" failures I've seen were on the 2006-2008.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts