Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Alternator just past out and I need to replace it. I'm searching for half an hour for information or a ''how to'' on the web but can't find any... I know it's probably not very difficult as it's just sitting underneat the p/s pump but a couple of cues would be appreciate... Like the page of the repair manual or something that would help cause it's minus 15 celcius here (10°F) and the faster I can do it, the better it will be!

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Check Youtube if you haven't already.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hey Maxo.... share the link you found for your alternator swap.
No link found... I use the manual and found out it was quite easy... Took me about 45 mins in the cold outside... I can share some cues that aren't mentionned in the manual...

Since there's not much room to slack the belt, Honda use a special tool but with 2 long keys (14mm for the pulley) hook togheter you can work your way there...

An other thing thet is not mentioned is how to get the alternator out of there since it's quite tight there. The a/c hose is in the way... First, to make that step easier, you better take off the little bracket that sit on top of the alternator (the one that hold the 2 wires). Get the alternator loose by pulling it toward you and not pulling it aside like in the book... Finally work your way by pulling the alternator up with the pulley facing you. Mine came out that way...

Finally, put the new alternator in place and then reinstall the bracket on the alternator but don't tied it up at that point. Put the 2 bolt that hold the alternator in place then tight up the 3 bolts to position the alternator correctly.

Finish to hook up the wire, double check the bolts, make sure your belt is set correctly replug the battery and your good to go!

·
Registered
625 Posts
MY 2007's alternator bit the dust yesterday

My turn! Night before last a whine suddenly started and of course I start sifting though the possibilities... Idlers? Power steering? Alternator? A/C? Well on the way into work the next morning the battery (charge) light comes on. In my '93 F150 I twice drove for 20 or more miles (thankfully, as both times I was in the middle of nowhere approaching of Las Vegas from the East) when the alternator died. Not so with the Ridgeline. As I arrived at work about 3 miles later the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree, the shifting became jerky and the throttle had to go to almost the floor to crawl along. Picked up an alternator, got the car towed home, charged the battery, drove it into the garage and guess what this morning's project is?

I notice that's two 2007 alternators within two months of each other....

O2

·
Registered
625 Posts
Getting the alternator out of the space it's trapped in is a bear. Getting the new one in is a bear as well. Leaving the cable mounting plate off is a slight help, but not a great one...

I took my time, probably took about 2 hours.

You're right, when you mount the cable mounting plate don't tighten the bolt... Get the two mounting bolts in place, barely snugged up and then tighten all three.

O2

·
Registered
682 Posts
mine went out too a couple weeks ago, luckily i'm under extended aftermarket warranty, cost me 100 bucks... and no fiddling around in 10 degree weather.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts