Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2019 Ridgeline RTL-E 4WD and are looking to purchase a R-Pod 192 travel trailer with a total dry weight of 3400 and anticipate cargo, us, hitch, etc. to add 500lbs. (this includes the allowance of 150lbs each that Honda allows for) - so all together we would be at roughly 3,900 lbs. We will tow in the NC mountains at times. We are looking for input from people who have G2 Ridgelines that have experience towing travel trailers ONLY. Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ruth - I have a 2019 E and tow an Airstream Basecamp X with nearly the same weight you describe. I am a first time truck and camper owner and never towed anything before. So far, my trips have been from Baltimore into hilly central PA and down I-81 into the George Washington Forest. Thus, fairly limited experience. I have had zero issues and never felt like I'm overloading the truck. There are times when I lose speed on hills and the truck downshifts, but I would expect that given the package. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much - Do you have a sway control hitch? Have you experienced much sway on the interstate when semis go by?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ruth: I have 2019 RTL-E. I pull A Forrest River Micro Lite. She is right at 4800 on the scales. I use a Fastway E2 hitch for weight distribution and sway control. The WDH pushing some weight to the front axle, and makes the numbers line up pretty nicely. No issues towing in flat Florida. Our last trip had the biggest hills around Florida, and the truck did fine- but still mostly flat. Gas mileage dropping down to around 12mpg. The truck does really well. It is just unnerving feeling like you are making a risky decision. Go watch some of the ridgeline tow testing videos on YouTube. It will make you feel better about what the truck can do. The mountain torture test is pretty good- pulling 5k Water tank I think. Most big trucks are fine, but the boxy ones definitely let you know when they are passing. I watch for them in the mirror.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Our trailer is only 1300 pounds but we have experienced the issue where the transmission does not downshift into first gear going down hills, so if you get into a situation under 30 MPH or so on a road with steep inclines you will not be able to depend on your transmission and will have only your brakes, (hopefully both vehicular and trailer), to keep everything under control.

Bill

·
Registered
897 Posts
I'm not sure what kind of confirmation you are looking for.

We tow 5k plus pound TT with our G2. It tows like a dream.

I don't condone what we do, but I will say I am very experienced at towing. You do what is prudent and that you are comfortable with. Tow at your experience level.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Our trailer is only 1300 pounds but we have experienced the issue where the transmission does not downshift into first gear going down hills, so if you get into a situation under 30 MPH or so on a road with steep inclines you will not be able to depend on your transmission and will have only your brakes, (hopefully both vehicular and trailer), to keep everything under control.

Bill
Darn near died years ago from over heated brakes. I will not tow without trailer brakes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Ruth. We have a 2017 RTL-E awd and towing a 2017 Micro-Lite as well. This trailer is pushing the upper limit of the recommeded tow capacity of the Honda (5000 lb) but it tows it just fine. We have not used a weight distributing hitch at this time and towed it In September over 1000 miles from Florida to Tenn and back with no problems. We stay off the Interstates as much as possible and limit our speed to 65mph max. The truck definitely needs to run in D4 as it will not pull in 5th gear without shifting up & down all the time. Gas mileage is in the 11 mpg range, which I don't like, but it tows right along with no problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Ruth. We have a 2017 RTL-E awd and towing a 2017 Micro-Lite as well. This trailer is pushing the upper limit of the recommeded tow capacity of the Honda (5000 lb) but it tows it just fine. We have not used a weight distributing hitch at this time and towed it In September over 1000 miles from Florida to Tenn and back with no problems. We stay off the Interstates as much as possible and limit our speed to 65mph max. The truck definitely needs to run in D4 as it will not pull in 5th gear without shifting up & down all the time. Gas mileage is in the 11 mpg range, which I don't like, but it tows right along with no problem.
I wondered about towing without WDH. The service manager had told me he strongly recommended weight distribution/sway control for anything over 4000 pounds. I haven’t tried mine without it, but it pulls really smoothly with the hitch in place, and absolutely transfers weight from the trailer to the front axel- where I had the most margin. I hadn’t towed much since my early days as a Truck Driver in the Marines. It made me a believer, but adds a few minutes to hook up, and 60 or so pounds to tongue weight.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I run a simple round bar WDH set up properly, and it does kinda suck that it adds a lot of weight, but in the end I feel it is worth it.

I have not been running the friction sway bar though. I've been all over in various terrain and wind conditions and have never felt anything of concern.

Even on the interstate at 65 mph semi trucks are of no great concern to me. Still treat with caution of course.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
If WDH weight is of concern then you might consider the Anderson hitch and don't buy more hitch than you need.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi Ruth
I tow a Winnebago 1808FBS Dry weight 3,560. Loaded with gear It's around 4,600. I use an E2 round bar WDH and Teknosha primus Break controler. I tow all over the rocky mountains of Colorado, NM, AZ and UT. Very Steep grades uphill and downhill I have no problems doing the posted speed limit and that weight. I highly recommend the e2, it really helps on those curvy mountain roads. Let me know if you have any questions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts