Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you have removed the original mirror that has the blue LED dot compass in the right corner to add the auto-dim accessory compass mirror, I am interested in buying it. (Hopefully I can use it in my RTL NAV)

I was very disappointed that I couldn't get that mirror in a NAV model-- even as an option. The dealer said "you won't need it cuz' you'll have NAV" Well, I tend to run the XM screen a LOT and thus don't see the Map screen and sometimes I would like to do navigation by the seat of the pants. Also, I think its design is pretty unique.

Thanks for looking! Please disregard this Trading Post item. I found one on eBay and have it installed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
well i so happens that i do have one of those mirrors and i do know how to install in on any rl, it lists for 133.00 make me an offer and we can go from there.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
KD,
Becareful, with the compass mirror. Mine is very senitive to magnetic fields, as I got one of those magnet cell phone holders and mounted to the dash and always headed north regardless of the true direction I was headed, had to take it off. Make sure the Nav screen doesn't give off any magnetic field.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
aaronjr112 said:
well i so happens that i do have one of those mirrors and i do know how to install in on any rl, it lists for 133.00 make me an offer and we can go from there.
Thanks for the reply. However, I found one about 5 months ago on Ebay for $30. It works great in my RTL after calibration. I'm sure that you might find someone else here that wants it. Seems to me someone else was looking for one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
aaronjr112 said:
Is it still available?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
just be careful that you are getting the features you are looking for. The first post in this thread mentions the auto dimming feature. The OEM ridgeline mirror with the compass that comes with non navi trucks does not auto dim. It only has the compass.

I have installed several American manu OEM mirrors that I purchased from Ebay and local salvage yards. They have either been late model Donnelly or Gentex\Mito mirrors with digital compass, temp, and auto dimming. Last one I got was from a wrecked 2005 Yukon.

An average/good price on eBay for a used perfect cond mirror ~50$ plus shipping which can be a deal breaker, and they almost never come with the temp sensor. There are some ebayers out there that way overcharge for shipping. There are some other web sites that have wiring diagrams and such. You do have to be careful and get current model mirrors. There are lots of really old ones for sale on eBay. Also some have Onstar and other controls on them say for airbags and such which I assume you wouldnt want. Of course if you like to tinker, here is a option to add some other control for something to your mirror.

mirror ~50$ plus shipping
~15$ adapter plate from wedge mount to cam lock (from ebay)
~15$ temp sensor if you get a mirror with that feature. I just ran the temp lead and sensor down into the passenger foot compartment. Its sometimes interesting to see the temp difference between inside and out. It was just an experiment (and better than seeing the error code on the mirror display), but I was surprised to see that first thing in the morning when the inside truck and outside temps have stabilized, that the in dash and mirror reading are identical. Its also interesting to see that its 100 degrees inside when leave to go home in the evening. The only thing that I wasn't really happy about with the installation was how I tied into the existing truck wiring. Its all there, but I wasn't able to get the OEM Honda connector (without blowing my budget.. if you are not careful, you are better off just buying a brand new one with all the parts) I ended up just making a little cable with separate crimp on connectors which I individually plugged into the existing connector. Not the way it should be done, but I did insulate each well and made it secure. Electrically, its just as good, esthetically not as good and its all covered anyway. I got help from the HandA posted instructions for the optional mirror and XM install instructions that show how to remove the A panel trim

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the info, schwejo!

I am only interested in adding the compass feature.

Since the wiring harness is already there in the headliner, I was hoping that the temperature sensor was as well. Sounds like it is not. If is isn't, then you are correct - it is better to buy a new one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow! I am really distracted today. I am not interested in the temperature feature so it does not matter to me whether there is a temperature sensor or not since there is already a temp display in the instrument cluster.

Will I still need the adapter plate?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Hello, I wasnt interested in the "2nd" temp display either, it was just in the mirror that I picked up at the salvage yard (has a two line flourescent display in the mirror glass itself) and I didnt like seeing the error code so after a month I connected a temp sensor. You can get a pretty good look at how the mirror looks by going to mitocorp.com. Mine is a OEM Donnelly mirror made for Chevy so it still looks very much like the Gentex\Mito mirrors since both make an OEM mirror for American auto manufacturers. The can get a mirror with only a single line flourescent display with a digital compass or temp, or even a single line display with a button that switches the display between compass and temp. Some like the OEM Honda you can buy have the compass in the bezel below the mirror itself. I did like the looks of the star in the glass, but was didapointed it wasnt an auto dimming model also!

It just depends what you buy, Gentex\Mito mirrors use the wedge mount found on the vast majority of American made cars. If you buy a new Donnolly mirror you can order either a wedge or cam lock style mount. If you buy one from ebay or get it from a salvage yard, 99% chance you will only find the wedge mount style. In that case you will need the adaptor to fit it to your Honda camlock mount. Of course if you buy a mirror from Honda, it will all just fit and plug in the way it was designed to be

1 - 9 of 9 Posts