Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I've been having transmission fluid leak for a pretty long time, but for no good reason have been postponing repairs. I noticed that after driving Ridgeline for extended period of time and long distance, I got a check engine light with error Torque Converter Clutch Circuit. I flushed and filled transmission fluid and that seemed to temporary fixed the issue. (My guess it was because transmission fluid level was low).

So now I want to make sure there is no more transmission fluid leaks.

It is my understanding that I definitely need to change out lines that go from transmission to radiator (the hoses). But I don't know if I need to replace the metal lines that connect between transmission and hoes.

I uploaded three videos that show where I found leaks. I understand that it may not be enough to know where exactly leaks are coming from, but let me know what you think.

Thank you, I really appreciate it

Lines 1

Lines 2

Lines 3

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Those banjo bolts look awful wet. No way to definitively tell where it's leaking from your pictures. Since everything is wet from blowby and leakage, I would start by drying everything with a rag and then look to see where the leaks start to form. Otherwise you could be chasing a leak that's dripping down from some mystery location

Side note: Have you check the torque on the banjos? If the lines were worked on and the line bracket was tightened before the banjo bolt, it can misalign the bolt joint and the sealing washers could be bad - they are non reusable.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for a quick response. I really appreciate it. It was tough to see where its coming from as I cleaned the area with engine degreaser and wiped dry. I probably should have done a better job, but from my observation, it appears that its very wet at hose and at the banjo bolt. So I think I should replace the hose and banjo bolts. Would you happen to know part numbers? I think I found two banjo bolt things on ebay for $20 out of 2013 model. Not sure if its a good deal or if they're fairly cheap.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Side note: Have you check the torque on the banjos? If the lines were worked on and the line bracket was tightened before the banjo bolt, it can misalign the bolt joint and the sealing washers could be bad - they are non reusable.
So if they are not torqued properly, I can just remove it and then retighten them with proper washers? So I don't necessarily have to replace the banjo things?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I would wipe and watch before doing anything

·
Registered
4 Posts
You must fully clean and dry the oily areas to find the source and or sources of the oil. In the videos, one of the rubber lines appears to be the primary source. From there gravity and air flow will start to spread out the leaking oil. Once all is clean and dry, you will be able to spot wear the leak is coming from. Fix the visible leaks, (my money is on one or more of the rubber hoses) clean again and retest. This will allow you to confirm your fix and see if there are other leaks to address. I would not say a banjo bolt fitting can never leak, but they are far less likely to leak if they have never been disturbed or have been properly reassembled and torqued.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your help. I'll start by replacing the rubber lines. I spent $17 for 52 inch line and 4 clamps. I'll do that first, then I'll clean everything there and see if there are any leaks. I'll also drain and fill transmission fluid and make sure it has enough. I am pretty sure that over the years, the transmission fluid level is a lot lower than what it should be. I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts

#23 x 4
90471-RGR-000 or 94109-12000

Your banjo bolt washers. Make sure you clean all surfaces really well.

#20 x 2 91309-PX4-003
#17 91309-PX4-003
#19 91303-RAY-003

All those should cover the area that seems to be leaking.

Not sure if you have already done it. But instead of doing the fluid and lines and then finding another leak and loosing even more fluid it would be wise just to do all in the area. Would not cost much and the sensors are easy to pull out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. Today I replaced all rubber hoses that are between transmission and radiator. The size is 3/8, even though auto parts store chart showed it to be 11/32.

After I replaced hoses, I used engine degreaser and wiped down with water. Now I'll wait and see. I took old hose to my mechanic friend and he said one of them was leaking for sure.

·
Super Moderator
5,478 Posts
Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. Today I replaced all rubber hoses that are between transmission and radiator. The size is 3/8, even though auto parts store chart showed it to be 11/32.

After I replaced hoses, I used engine degreaser and wiped down with water. Now I'll wait and see. I took old hose to my mechanic friend and he said one of them was leaking for sure.
Hope that solves your problem. Good work!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts