Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow RL lovers, looking for any advise you may have on the strangest tire wear I've ever witnessed. I'll spare you details of a used car buying nightmare for the moment but if you could take a look at the images below and suggest potential root cause, I'd be forever in your debt.

2007 Beetle. Less than 70K on the clock. Michelin MXV4 rubber. Maybe 20% remaining tread. No odd cupping or uneven wear evidence, just this weird patch of belt popping thru the passenger side front.

All 4 look pretty much the same. Relatively flat wear - except I notice the pass/frt is wearing a bit on the inside
Wear1.jpg

This is the top of the tire seen above.
Wear.jpg

Thoughts please!

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,592 Posts
I have no thoughts except to wonder how that kind of wear is possible. Looks like it was towed with the steering wheel cranked left. But that doesn't even sound plausible.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no thoughts except to wonder how that kind of wear is possible. Looks like it was towed with the steering wheel cranked left. But that doesn't even sound plausible.
Despite by best efforts to warn the buyer of this vehicle of the dangers purchasing used cars from transient no-name street corner used lots, the decision was made to move forward.

Your speculation got me to thinking. Its a near certainty this car was bought at auction and given the cosmetic once over before moving to the lot. When Stinky Joe's "quality assurance" department determined tires need to be replaced on this ride, there's little doubt they were used. Since the car has been driven several thousand miles and there's no other sign of odd wear, that wear rash could have come from a totaled vehicles. Slide damage perhaps?

Throwing good money after bad was the primary concern. Since the suspension seems OK, there's little risk buying new tires.

This was a "clean car fax" buy from a, uhm, shall we say, questionable seller. And I haven't even described the rest of the issues found since the Bug was bought. No serious mechanical stuff, just abuse from a totally ignorant previous owner who thought they could DIY. Busted parts everywhere, but nothing anyone would see until things were found when replacing light bulbs and such. The brutality from ignorance is astounding.

Buyer beware for sure.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Despite by best efforts to warn the buyer of this vehicle of the dangers purchasing used cars from transient no-name street corner used lots, the decision was made to move forward.

Your speculation got me to thinking. Its a near certainty this car was bought at auction and given the cosmetic once over before moving to the lot. When Stinky Joe's "quality assurance" department determined tires need to be replaced on this ride, there's little doubt they were used. Since the car has been driven several thousand miles and there's no other sign of odd wear, that wear rash could have come from a totaled vehicles. Slide damage perhaps?

Throwing good money after bad was the primary concern. Since the suspension seems OK, there's little risk buying new tires.

This was a "clean car fax" buy from a, uhm, shall we say, questionable seller. And I haven't even described the rest of the issues found since the Bug was bought. No serious mechanical stuff, just abuse from a totally ignorant previous owner who thought they could DIY. Busted parts everywhere, but nothing anyone would see until things were found when replacing light bulbs and such. The brutality from ignorance is astounding.

Buyer beware for sure.
See stuff like that when we flat spot a tire while racing, but it is usually across the tread, not in line with the tread. It is either a locked brake caliper, e-brake, or a bad original tire. But I'm guessing that tire was dragged across pavement or concrete for sure. Doesn't take much. Could have easily happened in an accident where a skid was involved.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See stuff like that when we flat spot a tire while racing, but it is usually across the tread, not in line with the tread. It is either a locked brake caliper, e-brake, or a bad original tire. But I'm guessing that tire was dragged across pavement or concrete for sure. Doesn't take much. Could have easily happened in an accident where a skid was involved.
Thanks Triple C. That's what I was thinking. Whatever vehicle these tires were previously mounted on was likely dragged sideways, perhaps positioning it to be pulled onto a flatbed. What I can see of the other 3, there are no similar wear spots.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,265 Posts
Looks similar to when my wife did a High Speed stop to avoid hitting a dog & CHP officer between VV & Barstow.

In the panic stop she slightly turned the wheel (No ABS on the Del Sol) the outside of one tire & inside or the other looked just like that.

Rears had centered flat spots on each. She insisted on driving on them for like a month til I saw the steel belts, one night.

I could barely handle driving 2 miles to get new ones

Maybe get a four wheel alignment before/when getting 'new shoes' for the beatle.

Six, boarding flight now, catch you in a few hrs.

·
Super Moderator
22,592 Posts
That's what I was thinking. If it was a locked wheel skid, the left front inside should show something similar, although most of the weight would have been on the right front methinks.

Does the Bug have AS brakes?

Even though my old beater Civic has a "clean" title, it's obviously been wrecked. Regardless, it drives straight, no leaks, and the mechanicals are strong, so all that trumped the wrecked status for my intended usage when I was buying.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Too much negative camber. This could be cause by just simply being out of specs and need aligned or worn control arm bushings, ball joint or other suspension problems.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
That's what I was thinking. If it was a locked wheel skid, the left front inside should show something similar, although most of the weight would have been on the right front methinks.

Does the Bug have AS brakes?

Even though my old beater Civic has a "clean" title, it's obviously been wrecked. Regardless, it drives straight, no leaks, and the mechanicals are strong, so all that trumped the wrecked status for my intended usage when I was buying.
Yes it does. I have trouble conceptualizing this is the result of a locked wheel in a braking situation. Other than this one spot, all tire look to be wearing normally. If it were braking, the "flat spot" would be across the tread rather than this one "lip", no?

Too much negative camber. This could be cause by just simply being out of specs and need aligned or worn control arm bushings, ball joint or other suspension problems.
If it were camber, the wear be consistent around the circumference, yes? This tire looks to have been dragged while static, at a 90 angle while not turning.

Also, the Bug steers & rolls nicely, no pulling at any speed, no suspension creeks of clunks or steering slope.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Yes it does. I have trouble conceptualizing this is the result of a locked wheel in a braking situation. Other than this one spot, all tire look to be wearing normally. If it were braking, the "flat spot" would be across the tread rather than this one "lip", no?

If it were camber, the wear be consistent around the circumference, yes? This tire looks to have been dragged while static, at a 90 angle while not turning.

Also, the Bug steers & rolls nicely, no pulling at any speed, no suspension creeks of clunks or steering slope.
The "locked wheel in a braking situation" goes to the hypothesis that this tire (or these tires) came from another vehicle, and were put on used (as previously speculated).

My only comment (if above hypothesis is not the case) is that this is a "bad" tire. You can get ANY strange example of odd tread wear, failure, bulging, etc. with a tire that's built with inherent defects of some kind. I've had a few myself in the past. You should see some of the examples you can find on the internet!

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,265 Posts
When I re-read this post I realized it was new enough & you just confirmed it's got ABS, so you have an interesting issue there, but I still would get a good alignment to be sure

Yes it should if it was negative camber or other alignment issue, be all the way around the tire.

Still wonder if you panic stop is the ABS working correctly, I mean it is a VW. Just because they said its there doesn't mean it works as advertised. ;)

·
Super Moderator
22,592 Posts
Still wonder if you panic stop is the ABS working correctly, I mean it is a VW. Just because they said its there doesn't mean it works as advertised. ;)
I see what you did there!

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
No serious mechanical stuff, just abuse from a totally ignorant previous owner who thought they could DIY. Busted parts everywhere, but nothing anyone would see until things were found when replacing light bulbs and such. The brutality from ignorance is astounding.
I've run into several of those items on the Lexus -- from the previous owner's amateur repairs. Either they DIY'd them, or took the vehicle to a seriously shady shade-tree mechanic. Missing fasteners, cut wires, and so on. All good now, but every time I looked at something over the past year it's a been a surprise. None of which were apparent during the pre-purchase inspection (myself and a professional firm I hired).

So far as the tire issue - I'm thinking if it's a balance problem (a serious one) there'd be a matching worn spot 180 degrees away.

Not a shock problem - they typically wear stripes in tires from the bouncing.

More than likely a combination effect of worn/misadjusted suspension items that combined together caused this.

Chip H.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts