Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
1,207 Posts
The actual radio reception (if you use it) is great. But everything else is very late 90'ish to say the least. My 2017 Nissan had much better audio, and phone controls.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The voice recognition for navigation is absolutely useless.Cannot use at all. Other info system basic at best.Android auto needs major work .I don't have any other to compare to....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Stereo sound quality on my '18 RTL-E is pretty good but the overall system is dated. That being said I have a wireless CarPlay adapter and use it 99% of the time instead of the built in nav system.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Curious about this. If I purchased a non-NAV model I would count on Android Auto to fill the void. Are you saying the Android Auto app doesn't work well?
I would definitely buy the navigation. The Android auto is useable but as a tech fan it's needs to be updated. The voice search for "find a place" is completely useless. Otherwise you can work around that issue

·
Registered
163 Posts
I find myself looking at Ridgelines again. One thing I noticed was the infotainment system seemed sort of antiquated both in appearance and as I read reviews. I would appreciate hearing from actual owners. Are you happy with your system? Are you happy with the navigation system? Are the routes pretty accurate? Is the screen responsive? Have there been any updates in recent years? Are there plans to update the system soon?
I became happy with the infotainment system as soon as I lowered my expectations. Prior to doing so, I found it slow and glitchy. After working with the Navigation system for a bit I found it frustrating and only use Android Auto for navigation. After working with Android Auto I found that you have to plug the phone in prior to starting the RL, and must give it a full minute or two without touching anything for it to resolve its handshake and start communication. My phone is a midlevel Samsung that is a few years old, so it may work better with a more modern phone.

I mostly listen to Spotify through Bluetooth or use the FM radio and these both work well and sound good on the upgraded audio system.

I stopped learning about the system once I found the least frustrating way to get the basics to work and take responsibility for any bad perception of the system that is the result of my lack of effort.

Reactions: Magb

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline Sport
130 Posts
After about 9 months with my 2020, I can say, "It's OK". I'm not a fan of Android Auto, at least with how it works with my phone, which is a Motorola about two years old. I use a Garmin drivesmart display on the left side and it works fine for my nav needs. The radio works fine, and the bluetooth connection to the phone for music and apps like pandora works fine too. Handsfree calls work fine as well.

Yeah, its a bit dated but so was the system in my 2016 toyota to an extent. I'm very happy with the truck, and I can live with the electronics.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I find myself looking at Ridgelines again. One thing I noticed was the infotainment system seemed sort of antiquated both in appearance and as I read reviews. I would appreciate hearing from actual owners. Are you happy with your system? Are you happy with the navigation system? Are the routes pretty accurate? Is the screen responsive? Have there been any updates in recent years? Are there plans to update the system soon?
RTL-E 2021 - It is S#$%. My 2018 Outback exceeded this junk. I like the Ridgeline but the infotainment is junk. The menu structure moving between say Android Auto and Music is several keystrokes unless you remember the multiword command to get to where you want to go on voice commands. Very clunky. As for the maps - It is OK - but does anyone use the in-car maps anymore when we have WAZE and Google Maps?

·
Registered
15 Posts
It stinks. I have a 20 Pilot too so I'm really not enjoying my tunes lol. But it's a GREAT truck. I love it. I simply stream through Bluetooth and it's all good. I'm thinking of spending a little money on an aftermarket speaker system and that might do the trick. Take care.

·
Registered
2020 RTLE
10 Posts
It's terrible. Really detracts from everything else which is a great truck.
Mine still locks up for no reason. Has been back to the dealer for a week (cannot reproduce)
Iphone 12, I rent cars all the time and take them on extended drives - no lockup.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Happy may be ambitious. The infotainment (IMO) is adequate. GPS is OK, 99% of the time I use my phone; however when there is a lack of cell coverage it has routed me without issue. The screen response, like much of the system is adequate. I will say that I have upgraded the speakers and sub (keeping the factory amplifier). Changing the head unit and/or amplfiier is something I would advise against. I suspect there will be an upgrade in the Gen3 Ridgeline whenever that eventually comes to production.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If the infotainment system is your main concern, maybe the Ridgeline isn't for you. As for me, I am very satisfied with my '19 RL infotainment system. I like the fact that the NAV is Garmin based and that is what I am used to. Routes have always been very accurate depending on when it was last updated. I update mine once a year and it seems fine. I laugh about all the hoopla about the lack of a knob on the '19 when I don't even miss it. Screen is very responsive and I prefer it over the smaller screen of a phone. Of course with Apple Play, you can use Google Maps, Apple Maps, or others, on the screen as well. In my case, the infotainment system is secondary anyway — I wanted a Ridgeline for more practical reasons — and I wouldn't get rid of it for anything in the forseeable future.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
3 Posts
For a 2022, the Ridgeline Infotainment system is about the worst I have experienced. I have the latest Jeep and Ford products and their systems are far superior. Thank goodness for Waze. I never use the built in system. It is an old version of Garmin's interface and software. Hard to program, hard to follow, not reactive to traffic situations like Waze. Also, thank goodness for Honda's superb powertrain and suspension. The infotainment is certainly NOT its selling point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am very happy with my RTL. I wanted a small truck good on gas and with enough room to get my horses supply I do not listen to the radio, my navigation and back camera are great so I got everything I was looking for and I am very happy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Truly INfotainment is like 5/10, truck itself is 8/10. Apple Device is a pita when it disconnects and it will. OEM cables or not, I upgraded all factory speakers in my 22' RTL-E, including the SUB, sounds much better even it did reduce overall "loudness" by about 5-7% oeverall. Don't buy this truck if you want some ease of access, simple or even better lookin info center.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like things have not changed in the last couple years. To clear up one thing, I am not considering a Ridgeline based on the infotainment system. I simply like the Ridgeline and had questions based upon reviews on YouTube. My only personal experiences with infotainment systems are my 2016 Ford F-150 and my 2020 Toyota Camry. I loved the Ford system along with its navigation. They worked superbly for me. I am not fond of the Toyota system. The overall system works, but navigation is highly inaccurate. More than once I found myself on single lane dirt roads going nowhere. One time the ETA was an hour longer than Google Maps. Ran them side by side. Google Maps was correct. Paying the upcharge for their in-dash navigation was a waste.

In reading Kelley Blue Book.- "The 2023 Honda Ridgeline remains fresh from a significant update for the 2021 model year. This recent reboot gave Honda’s midsize pickup a squarer and more truck-like exterior, a new and improved infotainment system, and made all-wheel-drive (AWD) standard on every trim. ".

Did the infotainment / navigation actually improve with the 2021 updates?
I can't speak specifically for the new Ridgelines (I have a 2013), but my wife had a 2017 Pilot Touring and last year we switched that for a 2021 Pilot Elite. While the infotainment systems looked very similar and had a very similar layout / way of operating, the 2021 system was much faster, responded better to touch, and overall was significantly better. Went from being a negative to a positive. My guess is much improved CPU, better touch display, and better software.

21 - 40 of 98 Posts