Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post other than the greeting. I purchased a 2011 RTL at the beginning of the year with 75k after months of research that led me here. I've been lurking for almost a year now but I'm finally doing my first mod after I made sure all the maintenance was caught up. I've been looking at J-pipes as the starting point but my first mod has always been a programmer with various levels of success. One of the major benefits and I think seat-of-pants differences programmers offer on other manufacturers is eliminating the lag of the drive by wire. As you know, there's not really anything out there for programmers like everyone else has access to so after reading the threads on here I decided to take the dive and ordered the Sprint Booster from Jason at Burtman Industries. He personally responded and I'm looking forward to reviewing his product here. I know it doesn't boost the power, it just eliminates the lag. I'll post my impressions once it's installed. No I don't work for them nor am I affiliated in any way. I am a service manager for another brand however, so I do have some experience with driveability issues, those ruthenium plugs notwithstanding(jury's still out on those...).

·
Vendor
1,787 Posts
after reading the threads on here I decided to take the dive and ordered the Sprint Booster from Jason at Burtman Industries. He personally responded and I'm looking forward to reviewing his product here. I know it doesn't boost the power, it just eliminates the lag. I'll post my impressions once it's installed. No I don't work for them nor am I affiliated in any way. I am a service manager for another brand however, so I do have some experience with driveability issues, those ruthenium plugs notwithstanding(jury's still out on those...).
Glad to help you out and thanks for posting! The sprint booster is now the best selling product I have for the Ridgeline. I used to sell more lowering springs and tonneau covers and now I'm selling more of these than both of those combined. Why? Because people now know how well it works and the word has spread it seems. Very cool that you're a service manager in automotive as you probably already know and have seen how some cars can suffer from the throttle lag by the drive by wire. I'm sure you've had people complain and ask what's wrong with the lack of throttle response. I do sell these to quite a few dealerships now and they love them as it makes the customer happy.

http://www.burtmanindustries.com/zoomprod.php?id=ridge_sprint_bstr - in stock right now and ships UPS express.

Also, if anyone is confused on what the sprint booster does and how and why it works so well, watch this video below. Watch at least the fist 3 min and things will make more sense. As I said, this is now my best selling Ridgeline product.

·
Vendor
1,787 Posts
It's on sale right now here - http://www.burtmanindustries.com/zoomprod.php?id=ridge_sprint_bstr - and ships UPS express. Also this is the latest version with the latest firmware installed that I just got in again! These haven't been sitting around for months.

Install is right under the hood passenger side, you unplug the factory honda connector and this plugs right in. Plug & play, no cutting, no nothing :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I ordered a Sprint Booster. I think it's gonna be here on Monday if Burtman got it in Friday's UPS. We were finalizing the purchase close to his UPS pickup. Anyhow, I will most likely install on Monday night and give some impressions to you all.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am not sure what to expect, but I hope I like it....I drive relatively slow and the Ridge isn't exactly a monster when it comes to performance. I think this is going to be like a short-throw throttle on a motorbike.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Reading up on it now. Valet mode activated by a 3 digit PIN. Limits acceleration to 55%, 65% or 75%. I like it. Screw that valet who races my Ridge on a cold motor.

Also has a theft mode that disables the throttle until a PIN is entered.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been procrastinating so here we go. I installed the Sprint Booster 2 months ago in less time than it took me to type this. It's that simple. You can choose between Sport or Race mode and 9 different settings are available in each. I started on Sport 6 and ultimately ended there. Yes, it opens the throttle further with less pedal input and so of course feels faster. This is what all the folks who knock it state. But they're missing the faster response in throttle opening and closing as well. Sport gives you a 30% increase in throttle blade responsiveness and Race, 60%.

Here are the benefits to this in my opinion and why I don't have any regrets about purchasing it or the price. Not having to press the accelerator as far gives the perception of adding the sorely lacking low end torque this truck rightly deserved. Just press the gas farther you say. Ah, but you're not factoring the faster throttle opening! In city driving with very little throttle input, it is not crawling through the gears and dragging out the shift points. I find I'm spending more time in overdrive which is helping my city mileage, marginally of course. Highway, no change just feels faster getting up to speed.

Without an HDS to really give concrete evidence, this is all about perception and years of racing and tuning V8's and V-twins. The combination of further throttle opening based on input and faster blade responsiveness puts you in the torque band sooner and keeps it there longer. For those trying the ROC mpg trick of backing off the throttle to encourage a shift earlier, the increased throttle blade reaction can really be a benefit, though I have found just driving normally now the trans shifts through the gears rapidly and crisply and I'm in od well before I used to be on the same roads.

In short(or not...), Jason was fantastic to do business with, responded personally, shipped fast and delivered on everything promised. Like others have posted, I'm incredibly pleased with this. You cannot go wrong with the money back guarantee nor will you likely use it. I am open to questions or criticisms; that's the majority of my day job lol. Thanks for reading

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
To me it’s a waste. The throttle on my RL is already too aggressive and thats all the booster does. I’ve driven vehicles the booster is an asset in, but the RL isn’t one

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would imagine it all depends on which generation you have. The 2nd gens are direct injected and while I haven't driven an Earth Dreams engine yet, just about all the engines that the manufacturer I work for are DI; throttle response is not a complaint until excessive carbon buildup naturally occurs due to the inherent design.
On the other hand, my wife's 09 Pilot does not need the Sprint Booster. It did however, need the VCM disabler. Again, I cannot speak for this on the Earth Dreams engine either. All opinions and experiences are welcomed!

·
Vendor
1,787 Posts
I've been procrastinating so here we go. I installed the Sprint Booster 2 months ago in less time than it took me to type this. It's that simple. You can choose between Sport or Race mode and 9 different settings are available in each. I started on Sport 6 and ultimately ended there. Yes, it opens the throttle further with less pedal input and so of course feels faster. This is what all the folks who knock it state. But they're missing the faster response in throttle opening and closing as well. Sport gives you a 30% increase in throttle blade responsiveness and Race, 60%.

Here are the benefits to this in my opinion and why I don't have any regrets about purchasing it or the price. Not having to press the accelerator as far gives the perception of adding the sorely lacking low end torque this truck rightly deserved. Just press the gas farther you say. Ah, but you're not factoring the faster throttle opening! In city driving with very little throttle input, it is not crawling through the gears and dragging out the shift points. I find I'm spending more time in overdrive which is helping my city mileage, marginally of course. Highway, no change just feels faster getting up to speed.

Without an HDS to really give concrete evidence, this is all about perception and years of racing and tuning V8's and V-twins. The combination of further throttle opening based on input and faster blade responsiveness puts you in the torque band sooner and keeps it there longer. For those trying the ROC mpg trick of backing off the throttle to encourage a shift earlier, the increased throttle blade reaction can really be a benefit, though I have found just driving normally now the trans shifts through the gears rapidly and crisply and I'm in od well before I used to be on the same roads.

In short(or not...), Jason was fantastic to do business with, responded personally, shipped fast and delivered on everything promised. Like others have posted, I'm incredibly pleased with this. You cannot go wrong with the money back guarantee nor will you likely use it. I am open to questions or criticisms; that's the majority of my day job lol. Thanks for reading
Appreciate you coming back for the review (if you get a chance to add that review to the site under the order link, that would be great).

I've sold now over 40 of these to first gen owners and it's one of the few items I sell where people actually call/email me back after getting it to say "thank you". The damn little thing just works. Sold one to my neighbor who always thought the Ridgeline was a pig. His wife drives the truck a lot now, and she always hated merging on the highway and was nervous. He just told me she loves driving the truck now. I've never had anyone return one yet, even though I do offer no questions asked return on this! I've also had others say they are getting slightly better gas mileage on trips, which is also a plus (I think it's due to what you said about the rpm band and not having to up shift). I don't market this item for gas mileage gains, but it's cool that people are getting better mileage.

I also sell this for the 2017+ 2nd gen ridgeline which even has more delay than the 1st gen, which is crazy.

http://www.burtmanindustries.com/zoomprod.php?id=ridge_sprint_bstr - In stock as we speak, and ships UPS express shipping.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Well, I had a few $$$ burning a hole in my pocket so I just ordered one. We have a lot of freeway merging here in SoCal and when you have to punch it, that little hesitation where it feels like the squirrel in the engine has to wind the vehicle up before you move drives me nuts! Can't wait to try this and see how much difference it makes. With a 30 money back guarantee, whats to loose?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It'll help the hesitation but I don't think there's any hope for high speed passing power on these rigs. Makes all the difference at the bottom end though. Let us know when you get it installed and dial in your preference. I may bump mine a little more from sport 7 now that I have the 265's but it's still more responsive than it was. Love the guys that have been here since the beginning^ and kept this forum alive so I won't be knocking anyone's opinion but if you're ever down south and want to just try it, it takes no time at all to install

·
Vendor
1,787 Posts
Well, I had a few $$$ burning a hole in my pocket so I just ordered one. We have a lot of freeway merging here in SoCal and when you have to punch it, that little hesitation where it feels like the squirrel in the engine has to wind the vehicle up before you move drives me nuts! Can't wait to try this and see how much difference it makes. With a 30 money back guarantee, whats to loose?
Thanks for the post. And you're going to love it. This little darn thing really makes this truck more fun to drive too.

http://www.burtmanindustries.com/zoomprod.php?id=ridge_sprint_bstr - Shipping express UPS and we are only ones that offer a 5 year warranty on this

1 - 16 of 16 Posts