Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, this is my first post on the board and I came here because I've been interested in getting a truck recently. I did some research and it seems like the Ridgeline is the right kinda truck for my needs.

I recently bought a new home and have a 2012 Honda Accord EX-L with the 3.5L V6 VCM engine. It hasn't given me any problems thus far for 50k miles. I'm looking to haul home improvement supplies, typical yard work waste/equipment, and kayaks/bikes/quads/hiking gear. It seems like the Ridge will do quite nicely since I really don't need to haul anything extremely heavy.

I've located a few for sale in the Pittsburgh area where I live and I'm hoping to stay in the sub $15000 range. Here they are I'd love some opinions on which would be the best buy and what offers I should make on them.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ctd/4963074776.html

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4939667920.html

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ctd/4944022494.html

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4909404592.html

Additionally, I'm just looking for some friendly advice on whether I should get rid of my Honda Accord. I'm really inclined to keep it because it's already paid off. However, the Ridgeline would easily replace it for all my daily needs. So, would you keep both vehicles or get rid of the Accord? I'm a little scared to buy a used vehicle and get rid of mine when I know my Accord has served me flawlessly and I've had it since it had 3 miles on the odometer.

I'm also worried about the gas mileage. I typically get 25-28mpg in my Honda Accord and 30+ on long trips. It seems most of you are only getting about 16-18 in the Ridgeline correct?

One benefit to selling the car is I would remain without a car payment since I'm sure I can get ~15k+ out of the Accord. I also wouldn't have insure two vehicles, registration, etc. etc.

Just looking for some opinions on what you all would do and if some of you decided to replace your other vehicles or keep the truck in addition. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Oh, I'd also like to ask how you guys grade the road noise on the Ridgeline? The only negative thing I have to say about my Accord is that it's noisy. I know that's typically been a trait of all Honda's from what I have heard. I have yet to test drive one so I was just curious.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
The RL rides 'nice' on the road.... but 'nice' is a subjective evaluation, that will differ from person to person.
You might want to sit down with pad & pencil & calculate the total cost of retaining your Accord, just for a baseline of consideration. Include the cost of additional insurance, the savings for fuel efficiency based on how much you might drive it vs. the RL, and maybe factor in the reduced mileage impact on projected resale when you do sell the truck (& the Accord!) down the road.
Once you know how much it's costing you (if anything) to own 2 vehicles vs. 1, you can factor in the more subjective issues of how you would use the Accord vs. the RL.... and whether those potentially differing uses are important to you. Having a back up vehicle handy can also be a convenience factor to consider. It's the whole picture you'll want to evaluate. Once you look at all those angles, it might be a little easier to decide.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I live by the place selling the black RL for $14,999. Seem like nice guys when I went in last year to look at a car. You have to call them to set-up a meeting time. The cars are in an indoor warehouse and sometimes their inventory moves quick. I'd call them and see if it's still available. Good Luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for the info. As for the black Ridgeline you mentioned, does that seem to be a fair price for that vehicle? It looks extremely clean from the pictures.

For that particular truck with 113k miles KBB is showing a range of $13,800 to $17,000, with a fair purchase price of $15,400. While edmunds is showing me a dealer retail price of $13,822 for the truck in clean condition.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,046 Posts
I live in Moon Twp. I have seen that last silver one driving around here before. I bought my truck back in 2010 off of a guy on Craigslist as well. The key to these trucks is maintenance. If it doesn't have a solid history, it isn't worth looking at. These trucks love fresh fluids and the driveline systems require fairly frequent drains and fills of their respective fluids. I've got 145k miles on mine and I've never had to do anything to it but regular maintenance. You've made a great choice by pursuing a RL. Where exactly in PGH are you? I guarantee you that you can find a quality example around here. However, something you want to keep in mind is that the trucks you find in your current price range are going to have 100k miles or more. There is a timing belt service that needs to be done to these at 105k miles or so and it can be expensive at over $1000. If you can find one that has already had this done, you're golden. Another very important question would be which model do you want? Are you perfectly fine with the base RT model that is mechanically the same but doesn't offer many creature comforts? Do you want leather, heated seats, moonroof, etc.? That's going to factor in to your budgeting.

Dnick gave some great advice. You really need to do some figuring as to the cost of ownership. I drive very little at about 4-5000 miles a year. Most of my driving is a 3.3 mile commute to work and back in stop and go traffic at under 40mph. I get about 14mpg religiously, but I fill up once a month. When I was driving more, I always got 19.5-21mpg. I even saw 23.5 once while on a roadtrip. However, you may not be as lucky. The RL is a very comfortable vehicle to drive. I've enjoyed every second of the last five years of my ownership.

My suggestion would be that if you decide to keep the Accord, you should look for a 2007-08 model with good service history. If you decide to trade in the Accord, I would highly suggest you up your budget a little bit. You'd be VERY surprised by how much more you can get for another $3-4000.

If you decide to keep the Accord, on Autotrader there is a 2008 RTL w/nav and 142k miles for $13,900 and a 2007 RTX with 89k miles for $14,800. If you decide to trade in the Accord, there's an 07 RTL with 62k miles for $20,900 (little high I think) and a 2009 RTS with 63k miles for $19,900 also both on Autotrader.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I'll definitely have to look at those trucks that were listed. I am south of Pitt in the Uniontown area. I'll drive for the right deal though.

As for the cost, I think I'll keep the accord. I'll have to call and see how much the additional insurance will be on the Ridgeline and go from there. I travel 30 miles each day to work and my accord is getting me about 26mpg average. So, for the mpg advantage I'd like to keep it. It just defies my logic to keep it when I know the ridge will do everything I need lol.

I have changed my mind a little. I def want to get leather etc. So, I'm gonna try to go into the 20k range. I hope to get under 100k miles. I just can't believe used truck prices these days it seems ridiculous across the board. I guess if I ever sell I'll be happy about retained value.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I don't know your situation but I would wait on the Next Gen Ridgeline or more info.
I know it will be higher in price as a new vehicle but if you can swing it with trade or sale of your Accord. The Accord is a newer vehicle would you be happy with older technology over what you have in your Accord if you decide to not keep 2 vehicles. Would you consider upgrading to a newer Ridgeline as your primary vehicle in a year after release of new model if you like it.
I had to give you another option to consider. But look into maybe 2 vehicles if you really need a pick-up truck for hauling needs. You could always decide on a newer Ridgeline later.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thank you guys for the info. As for the black Ridgeline you mentioned, does that seem to be a fair price for that vehicle? It looks extremely clean from the pictures.

For that particular truck with 113k miles KBB is showing a range of $13,800 to $17,000, with a fair purchase price of $15,400. While edmunds is showing me a dealer retail price of $13,822 for the truck in clean condition.
Sorry, just saw your post. It seems like a good price for the area. You can probably get them down $500 -$700 depending on the condition, history, etc... Especially if you are driving a distance to see it.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,046 Posts
Thanks guys. I'll definitely have to look at those trucks that were listed. I am south of Pitt in the Uniontown area. I'll drive for the right deal though.

As for the cost, I think I'll keep the accord. I'll have to call and see how much the additional insurance will be on the Ridgeline and go from there. I travel 30 miles each day to work and my accord is getting me about 26mpg average. So, for the mpg advantage I'd like to keep it. It just defies my logic to keep it when I know the ridge will do everything I need lol.

I have changed my mind a little. I def want to get leather etc. So, I'm gonna try to go into the 20k range. I hope to get under 100k miles. I just can't believe used truck prices these days it seems ridiculous across the board. I guess if I ever sell I'll be happy about retained value.
Here's a new listing at Kenny Ross in North Huntingdon! 07 RTL w/ nav and 84k miles for $17,569.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=15108&endYear=2016&modelCode1=RIDGELINE&showcaseOwnerId=64082633&startYear=1981&makeCode1=HONDA&listingType=used&listingTypes=used,certified&searchRadius=100&maxPrice=22000&mmt=[HONDA[RIDGELINE[RIDGELINE%7CRTL]][]]&listingId=397547946&Log=0

Note that it does NOT have a tow hitch, which means it was never used for towing. It's in very good condition, but a little light on the maintenance history on Carfax. It could have been owner-maintained or done by an independent shop. Nevertheless, if you end up with it, I would change all the fluids to start a maintenance baseline. Also keep in mind the timing belt service will need done in about 20k miles. It looks like a GREAT value and you should be able to pick it up for about $16-16,500. GO NOW!!! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried that link but they took it down :(. I went to have my accord inspected and the dealer had a white 2006 RTL with 116k. It looks fairly clean and had CV joints replaced and tranny serviced according to Carfax. I assume that just means a fluid change? Its also got the bed cover and running boards.

Anyway, not much for service record's and they want 16k. Timing belt and water pump not done. I offered 13,500 OTD as long as they change all fluids and do the TB/WP for free. Sound OK if they agree? I'll see if I can't get a link to it no pictures online unfortunately but I did see it in person.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They counter offered me 14435 OTD. That is not including the belt and water pump service which he says they charge 777 for.

Seems a little high to me still. I'm thinking of countering with 14k OTD with the belt and pump replaced.

Opinions?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
I'd probably accept the price...

as long as they change all fluids and do the TB/WP for free.
And by ALL fluids,brake, VTM-4, ATF, Coolant, and of course oil. In addition to the timing belt, WP, I'd also be looking at spark plugs and possibly A/F & O2 sensors

·
Registered
16 Posts
My lifetime average is 15.7 mpg. I don't drive it all that much and most of it is towing stuff. My best was 23.7 on the freeway driving around 55-60. Ugh, so annoying.

Here's my humble opinion. Get rid of the Accord. The extra expenses associated with the car are going to be difficult to overcome and now you have 2 cars that need repair. Sell it while you can get the most of out of it. Yeah, you'll get a lot less mileage out of the RL but if you keep both you'll have two cars in depreciation mode. The offset is probably pretty small all-in-all considering insurance and registration and depreciation. Sell it and put the money in the bank or use it to buy your RL.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Have you considered trading the Accord for a new 2014 RL; if you can find one. No need for insurance, tags, and upkeep on 2 if you only need one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I dunno sat down with pen and paper and ran numbers. Looks like I'd get hosed if if I tried to trade and purchase new. How much are dealers coming off the new ones? I saw the stickers were around $36k online. That's a far cry from the 14 to 15k I'm about to pay OTD.

My insurance will go up about 600 per year which I don't think is too bad. As for maintenance I figured I'd have no more or no less since I'm splitting the miles between two vehicles now. Effectively halving the workload each vehicle will be taking saving wear and tear.

I don't see why both vehicles won't make it to 200k+ miles. Which I drive 15 to 20k miles per year so I should be set for at least 10 years assuming neither vehicle needs a major repair.

Im just going off my experience with Honda. I haven't done anything to my accord except oil changes and tranny fluid for 55k miles and its not given me a single issue. Haven't even had to change the original pads and rotors yet!

New is very tempting I admit haha. I just think I'd rather max my 401k than pay another payment for 60 months.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was just wonder since I've been reading about the #4 cylinder issue... How common is this problem? Like should I have any major concerns that this would happen to me? Or are these fairly isolated events?

I had problem with one Honda in the past my r18 civic burned excessive oil and had to have an engine replacement. Just starring reading about all these lawsuits against them for oil problems. Very concerning! Might have to look into some type of reimbursement for my r18 if my window hasn't already passed.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Don't worry about #4 cyl. No more likely you'd get unlucky with that than that you'd have some major problem with a brand new vehicle. VERY unlikely to bite you.

Personally, I think your current thinking is spot-on. You're doing fine with your current, reliable vehicles. They can take you a long way while you're salting away your savings for tomorrow's challenges. You won't be sorry down the road.

Don't forget that your insurance & registration costs will also continue to drop year to year.... which can offset any "sprucing up" expenses you might want to incur to keep your rides looking spiffy!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts