Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve got a 2008 which I thought was fwd with 4 wd on demand but not for general highway use. But looking at newer models I see some years listing awd listed as standard, some are just fwd only, etc. can’t believe the dealers hype because they even list pictures of a car that’s obviously white and state the color is silver.

Guess I’m just trying to understand what changed with different year models. I.e. when did they start awd as standard, front wd as standard , what about my old vtrm or whatever they called it? Guess I’m just confused but can’t find a source that lists changes in Ridgeline models which includes discussions of drives offered.

Anybody explain in a few words?

Thanks

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,720 Posts
Not sure what year-range your interest covers, but @McChizzle's Wikipedia pages cover the nuances of the various drivetrains / AWD systems in pretty good detail, including which trims offer FWD / AWD through the years (at least up through 2019). The Honda sales website covers FWD / AWD availability by trim-level for 2020 and the system itself is unchanged from 2019.

BTW, all years of the Ridgeline AWD system at large are perfectly suitable / desirable for "general highway use"; certain specific settings may be more or less appropriate for certain conditions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you’re saying my 2008 rtx is awd standard as it came out from factory? I know it has a selector for 4 wheel drive to help if you’re stuck but always thought it was standard front wheel drive.

See my confusion

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Your '08, like all Gen 1 Ridgelines, has the VTM-4 AWD system which is always and automatically sending torque to the various axles both front and rear depending on the traction conditions the vehicle senses.

The VTM-4 LOCK button over-rides certain aspects of that automated process and should be used only for specific situations, not on dry pavement.

All this is explained in the full Owners Manual for your '08 which you can download at the Honda Owners website, start reading on PDF document page 210.

All years / all generations of Ridgelines equipped with AWD operate in a conceptually similar manner - they are always and automatically sending torque to the various axles both front and rear, with certain settings to over-ride the automated system for specific special conditions.

Starting with the Gen 2 in 2017, Honda made some trims available with FWD only. Those specific trims with FWD only have no drivetrain to the rear axle at all, have no provisions for AWD operation at all.

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,374 Posts
Thanks for the "shout out" CentexG2. The Gen2 wiki-article has gotten pretty neutered by other editors insisting on removing content due to their perception that it is too long; however the Gen1 wiki-article is not too badly damaged right now.

As CentrexG2 and Danke have stated, all Gen1s (2006-2014) where all-wheel drive (AWD), that includes your very rare RTX trim--rare because it only lasted two years before being discontinued and is very cool looking. Your RTX, like all Gen1s, will put its power (specifically torque) down to the front-wheels when cruising and will proportion that torque to the rear when needed during this phase. When starting from a stop, most of the torque is sent to the rear-wheels and gradually moves the torque to the front as you hit your cruising speed. In other words, The Gen1 is a true AWD mid-size pickup that tries to use front-wheel drive (FWD) as much as possible unless the performance need dictates otherwise. The "VTM-4 Lock" button you have on your dash is not a four-wheel drive button; it is designed to force the VTM-4 system to proportion power 50/50 between the front and rear-wheels at slow speeds (under 18 MPH) to get you unstuck; once you get moving it turns itself off and will once again preportion torque to the front and rear-wheels as it sees fit. Here is a graphic I made that tries to explain all of this.

The new Gen2 Ridgeline (2017-present) has FWD only versions available in all but the top two trims, but I don't think Honda has produced many of them. If you get the Gen2 with AWD, it functions much the same as the Gen1s but is reportedly 20% stronger, can proportion power to a specific wheel--including overdriving a wheel to "toque steer" the vehicle--and has more computer-based controls, including new driving modes. Here is another graphic I made where I try to explain the difference between driving modes.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
@McChizzle - It's my understanding that with any of the RL AWD systems there's no operator control that will force / lock the vehicle to FWD only mode, is that correct?

IOW, the "Off (2WD mode)" shown in your VTM-4 Torque Control Structure chart is a 2-wheel FWD mode that's only selected by the automated VTM-4 system when it senses that's an appropriate mode of operation, completely independent of any elective operator choice?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aw... I think I’m finally beginning to understand. Thanks for all the time. Guess you can’t see the bumps on me where I just fell of the turnip truck! (Arkie slang)

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Aw... I think I’m finally beginning to understand. Thanks for all the time. Guess you can’t see the bumps on me where I just fell of the turnip truck! (Arkie slang)
There's absolutely nothing wrong with learning, the 'sin' is not asking when we don't understand

(y) ;) :)

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,264 Posts
So you’re saying my 2008 rtx is awd standard as it came out from factory? I know it has a selector for 4 wheel drive to help if you’re stuck but always thought it was standard front wheel drive.

See my confusion
Yes, your 2008 RTX is AWD (technically 3WD since the front diff is open and only 1 wheel will spin in slippery conditions). But that's better than conventional 4wd vehicles without lockers because they are technically 2WD vehicles... one wheel per axle is powered from the open differentials.

As you can tell, this can get complex with multiple variables.

From a simplistic perspective, you can consider your 2008 RTX to be front wheel drive, rear wheel assist that always starts out from a stop in AWD mode and gradually tapers off to FWD as speed builds... unless the system detects a difference in wheel speed between the front and rear wheels. And yes, you can manually lock in AWD but that's only operational in R, 1 and 2 and shouldn't be used on dry pavement, just like conventional 4WD systems.

See? Even that is not so simple, is it? ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
The Gen2 wiki-particle has gotten pretty neutered by other editors insisting on removing content due to their perception that it is too long; however the Gen1 wiki-article is not too badly damaged right now.
And by a guy who's probably never seen a Gen2 Ridgeline because he lives in the U.K. :rolleyes::mad:

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
@McChizzle - It's my understanding that with any of the RL AWD systems there's no operator control that will force / lock the vehicle to FWD only mode, is that correct?

IOW, the "Off (2WD mode)" shown in your VTM-4 Torque Control Structure chart is a 2-wheel FWD mode that's only selected by the automated VTM-4 system when it senses that's an appropriate mode of operation, completely independent of any elective operator choice?
Everything you stated is correct. In all Gen1s and Gen2 AWDs, you cannot control when FWD is used. In the Gen1, the only control you have to proportion torque in the "VTM-4 Lock"--to make it a 50/50 split in 1st, 2nd, or reverse gear only and at very low speed--and turning on/off the vehicle stability assist (VSA) system. However, the Gen2's drive modes do let you decide the amount of bias one axial can get over another.

CentexG2, let me know if you think there is a better way to graphically portray this information. I am hungry for ideas.

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
And by a guy who's probably never seen a Gen2 Ridgeline because he lives in the U.K. :rolleyes::mad:
I'm confused. Are you saying that since you are in the UK and have not seen a Gen2, are you saying you want the Gen2's Wikipedia article to be shorter (less detailed) or bigger (more detailed)?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm confused. Are you saying that since you are in the UK and have not seen a Gen2, are you saying you want the Gen2's Wikipedia article to be shorter (less detailed) or bigger (more detailed)?
Oh, sorry I wasn't clear.

I looked at the history of the Gen2 Ridgeline Wikipedia page and it appears that the guy who removed a lot of the content recently lives in the U.K., and so he has probably never seen a Ridgeline. I'm annoyed that he would remove information from "your" excellent Wikipedia pages.

For me, the more information the better. I don't understand how a Wikipedia entry can have too much information as long as it is factual.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
@CentexG2, let me know if you think there is a better way to graphically portray this information. I am hungry for ideas.
I might use "Front Wheel Drive Mode" in lieu of "Off (2WD mode)" ? VTM-4 is never really "off" is it - it's just sending the full torque to the front wheels in that condition?

I'm loath to make any critical comment on the Wikipedia pages as authored by you - IMO left to your own devices they'd be outstanding.

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
I might use "Front Wheel Drive Mode" in lieu of "Off (2WD mode)" ? VTM-4 is never really "off" is it - it's just sending the full torque to the front wheels in that condition?

I'm loath to make any critical comment on the Wikipedia pages as authored by you - IMO left to your own devices they'd be outstanding.
Done; thank you! File:Honda VTM-4 Torque Control Diagram.svg - Wikimedia Commons

Don't worry about critical comments. Whether your suggested edits can be made or not will depend on how well they can be backed up with good citations, their relevance to the point(s) being made, and other editor's biases on what should or should not be on an automotive article. Since I have not touched these articles in some time, there are bound to be problems that need to get addressed again. When I get "my mojo" back, I plan on recombining the articles into one, as suggested by another editor. So gathering some critical comments sooner rather than latter would be a good thing for me.

·
Premium Member
2011 VP Bali Blue Pearl
233 Posts
Let's put it this way: I probably wouldn't be driving a Ridgeline now if it wasn't for your Wiki page. Answered my questions I had, and explained what I would be getting.
Thanks! (y)(y):)

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,264 Posts
Oh, sorry I wasn't clear.

I looked at the history of the Gen2 Ridgeline Wikipedia page and it appears that the guy who removed a lot of the content recently lives in the U.K., and so he has probably never seen a Ridgeline. I'm annoyed that he would remove information from "your" excellent Wikipedia pages.

For me, the more information the better. I don't understand how a Wikipedia entry can have too much information as long as it is factual.
I concur. How can there be too much info? I fail to understand the criticism of the excellent Ridgeline Wiki.

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
I concur. How can there be too much info? I fail to understand the criticism of the excellent Ridgeline Wiki.
The only logical argument I have read revolves around the question, "Is it encyclopedia worthy?" Writing about unique things is good but listing everything available in a particular trim is not very noteworthy or encyclopedic. Beyond that, it's more about people not liking things that are different from the other lackluster automotive wiki-articles.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts