Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
The only logical argument I have read revolves around the question, "Is it encyclopedia worthy?" Writing about unique things is good but listing everything available in a particular trim is not very noteworthy or encyclopedic. Beyond that, it's more about people not liking things that are different from the other lackluster automotive wiki-articles.
What gives them the authority to remove material?

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,255 Posts
What gives them the authority to remove material?
Anyone can add and delete. Whether.other editors will accept or rejected those additions/subtractions should depend on the justification and cited sources.

Some editors, like the UK editor I'm fighting with, do not care about citations or facts they just want the article to be short because he does not find the Ridgeline in general to be noteworthy in any way. This UK editor knows the rules well so when he deletes something and I re-add what he removed, he admonishes me as a vandal and submits my account for suspension. When this happens a third party must intervene but there's rarely a third party editor that wants to do that. In summary, the deleter ends up having more power than the adder of information.

It.is not the best system, but the only way to make it better is to have a more closed editing environment like the user forums (i.e. the ROC), but that would mean less exposure to the uniqueness of our vehicle.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Anyone can add and delete. Whether.other editors will accept or rejected those additions/subtractions should depend on the justification and cited sources.

Some editors, like the UK editor I'm fighting with, do not care about citations or facts they just want the article to be short because he does not find the Ridgeline in general to be noteworthy in any way. This UK editor knows the rules well so when he deletes something and I re-add what he removed, he admonishes me as a vandal and submits my account for suspension. When this happens a third party must intervene but there's rarely a third party editor that wants to do that. In summary, the deleter ends up having more power than the adder of information.

It.is not the best system, but the only way to make it better is to have a more closed editing environment like the user forums (i.e. the ROC), but that would mean less exposure to the uniqueness of our vehicle.
Sounds like this guy has an axe to grind. Maybe he had a bad experience with a British Honda Civic?

If worse comes to worse, you can start deleting his stuff and doing the same to him. Sometimes the only way to get through to a bully is to bully him back.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
9,913 Posts
Getting back to the 4WD/AWD talk, the G1 is technically an auto 4WD system all the time. It is incapable of sending torque to each individual wheel, but rather only from front to rear. As speed said, the front differential is open which allows the front wheels to act independently of each other, but they're still not powered separately. The system will send some torque to the rear wheels at various throttle, steering, and braking inputs to maintain ideal traction. When cruising on open roads and maintaining speed, it's 100% FWD to achieve the best fuel efficiency. The VTM-4 LOCK, as covered, balances a 50/50 power distribution but can send up to 70% of the torque to the rear wheels through the Borg Warner diff if the situation makes it necessary. In the 10 years I've owned my truck, I've NEVER had to use this function and the vast majority of other owners should fall into the same category. Put it into drive, point it where you want to go, and go. I've never been stuck and have gone through some pretty hairy situations in snow, mud, sand, rocks, and dirt where other trucks did get stuck.

The G2's iVTM4 system, as I understand it, is basically Acura's SH-AWD by a different name. Torque CAN be applied to all four wheels, so it is a true AWD system that is superior to the functionality of the G1's system. That's about the extent of my knowledge on it, so the Wiki page would be the place to go for all of the technical specs and details.

Either way, there isn't another mid size truck on the market right now that can come close to rivaling the on-road traction of either the G1 or G2. Even at 13 years old and 175k miles, I still fully trust my 07 to get me where I need to go in all weather conditions. I find it fun to drive in the snow just to see what the truck can do. It still surprises me all these years later.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Getting back to the 4WD/AWD talk, the G1 is technically an auto 4WD system all the time. It is incapable of sending torque to each individual wheel, but rather only from front to rear. As speed said, the front differential is open which allows the front wheels to act independently of each other, but they're still not powered separately. The system will send some torque to the rear wheels at various throttle, steering, and braking inputs to maintain ideal traction. When cruising on open roads and maintaining speed, it's 100% FWD to achieve the best fuel efficiency. The VTM-4 LOCK, as covered, balances a 50/50 power distribution but can send up to 70% of the torque to the rear wheels through the Borg Warner diff if the situation makes it necessary. In the 10 years I've owned my truck, I've NEVER had to use this function and the vast majority of other owners should fall into the same category. Put it into drive, point it where you want to go, and go. I've never been stuck and have gone through some pretty hairy situations in snow, mud, sand, rocks, and dirt where other trucks did get stuck.

The G2's iVTM4 system, as I understand it, is basically Acura's SH-AWD by a different name. Torque CAN be applied to all four wheels, so it is a true AWD system that is superior to the functionality of the G1's system. That's about the extent of my knowledge on it, so the Wiki page would be the place to go for all of the technical specs and details.

Either way, there isn't another mid size truck on the market right now that can come close to rivaling the on-road traction of either the G1 or G2. Even at 13 years old and 175k miles, I still fully trust my 07 to get me where I need to go in all weather conditions. I find it fun to drive in the snow just to see what the truck can do. It still surprises me all these years later.
Same experience with my G1 for the 8+ years I drove it (now my son in law's truck!). A few times I locked in the 4wd when about to go up a steep, wet grassy/maybe muddy hill at the family lake cabin property, just out of paranoia, but that thing went everywhere, and very nimbly!

Hoping the G2 will be as good in hairy circumstances. Felt the difference in its road handling before I even read about the system advancement...."pushes" more when accelerating up a hill, around a bend, etc. - I sense a little more rear-wheel bias, and it feels good. Love both trucks.

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,255 Posts
Sounds like this guy has an axe to grind. Maybe he had a bad experience with a British Honda Civic?

If worse comes to worse, you can start deleting his stuff and doing the same to him. Sometimes the only way to get through to a bully is to bully him back.
The admins really frown on retaliation edits. This British editor does this on every page he edits. He/she is just very arrogant, has a real temper, and demands that people do thing his way or not at all. An example of this is when I had used two pictures, a Gen1 and a Gen2, as intro photos to the once single article on the Ridgeline that existed for several years with no issue. Most automotive articles use only the newes vehicle image in an intro but there was no rule against having both new and old. This British editor demanded that only one be used despite the fact the article was about birth generations. I fought him on this because there was no policy or rule to backup his opinion. So he submitted a "request for change" and got editors to vote and now there is a rule that only one photo can be used and that photo has to be of the newest model. This editor knows how to get his way.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
The admins really frown on retaliation edits. This British editor does this on every page he edits. He/she is just very arrogant, has a real temper, and demands that people do thing his way or not at all. An example of this is when I had used two pictures, a Gen1 and a Gen2, as intro photos to the once single article on the Ridgeline that existed for several years with no issue. Most automotive articles use only the newes vehicle image in an intro but there was no rule against having both new and old. This British editor demanded that only one be used despite the fact the article was about birth generations. I fought him on this because there was no policy or rule to backup his opinion. So he submitted a "request for change" and got editors to vote and now there is a rule that only one photo can be used and that photo has to be of the newest model. This editor knows how to get his way.
He/she sounds like a real prick (for lack of a better word!).

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
9,913 Posts
21 - 28 of 28 Posts