Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking to sell both my vehicles (an SUV and a 2007 Ford Ranger) for a Sportscar/Coupe and a Ridgeline. My max budget for the RL is $20k and I'm aware that it gets me a lower trim level/higher mileage vehicle only. Would drive the RL about 8k miles/per year and the other car 4k miles.

Currently looking at an out-of-state one owner 2017 RL Sport, FWD, with 70k miles offered for about $19k. Not a CPO (cause it's not from a Honda dealer). What are your thoughts? Should I take a shot at it and try to get some factory warranty extension (if that's even possible anymore) or limit my search to CPO vehicles only and blow my budget?

Also, I was wondering how the people with the cloth seats liked them? I only test drove a loaded one locally.

Thank you!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Are you seeing many for $20k and under? Does the one you found have a clean carfax? A lot of nice first gens are still bringing $20k. If you can increase your budget $5-7k, you'll have a lot more options. Sounds like the RL is going to be your daily, so I would get the nicest one you can afford.

What sports cars are you looking at?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Wilsel!

Not seeing many for under $20k and the one I'm looking at had the "front bumper cover" replaced because the owner drove into a supermarket parking lot pole - at least that is the dealership's version. Shows as "damage" in the Carfax because insurance handled it. Other than that, there are 6 service records. I should probably ask for the repair bill.

So last year I sold my 2016 Mustang GT for a luxury performance SUV and I do regret it. I thought I had "outgrown" the Mustang, and with a baby on the way, my decision seemed to make sense. My wife already had an SUV, which I liked, and I thought another one would cover all bases and that my sportscar cravings were satisfied. Like I said, I was wrong. (Unfortunately, we lost the baby but we have one on the way again and due soon and everything looks good - knock on wood).

However, the Mustang was an auto (which already was a mistake in itself), so I would get a stick this time. I would like to get a slightly used 2019 Bullitt. They're around $40k. My SUV is valued at $45k (which keeps depreciating rapidly) and I just want to cut my losses . I'd pocket $5k and not pay sales tax in my state on that deal. Financially, I could buy a new Mustang and a new Ridgeline but I don't want to because I've already burnt enough money on cars in the past year and priorities will change with the baby coming soon.

Probably the smartest choice (if that is even possible - I feel like an idiot already) would be trading the SUV for a CPO Ridgeline, pocket about $20k, sell my 2007 Ranger privately (probably worth $4k), set the $24k aside and see if in about a year, I still want the Mustang (and if so, buy a used one in the low to mid 30s + sales tax). The Bullitt is really the only one I want and it is a 2 year limited production run but I'm not too worried about them suddenly climbing in value or not being available anymore. They don't seem too popular and there are still a lot of new 2019s sitting on dealer lots. I just know that once spring arrives, I will want one pretty badly. Also, I admit that I have a little bit of FOMO. I've always worked hard and a sportscar is kind of my treat to myself.

Sorry for the lengthy explanation, that's pretty much it.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
52 Posts
Probably an unpopular opinion, but.....

Mustang and baby on the way seem to be incompatible. Not saying don’t do it, but there are some pretty sweet sleeper sedans that could do double duty as dad mobile and heart accelerator. I am a fan of the Kia stinger, but there are plenty of options out there.
With being a new dad, the worry is just a $40k investment depreciating away in the garage.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'd wait on the Mustang. Your priorities are going to change when that baby arrives. In a good way but certainly different.
I sold my Z28 six months after my daughter was born. I bought a Corvette when she left for college. Don't remember much about the cars in between.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably an unpopular opinion, but.....

Mustang and baby on the way seem to be incompatible. Not saying don’t do it, but there are some pretty sweet sleeper sedans that could do double duty as dad mobile and heart accelerator. I am a fan of the Kia stinger, but there are plenty of options out there.
With being a new dad, the worry is just a $40k investment depreciating away in the garage.
My wife's exact words. I tried to find a compromise with my BMW MPerformance SUV and it didn't work for me. I think a sleeper sedan wouldn't be any different. Kia Stinger is a great car, though. We definitely want to have a truck that can also do family stuff. Ridgeline would be perfect for our needs. But I have a soft spot for V8 Coupes/Mustangs and would want to keep the Bullitt for 10 years. I'm a mess.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd wait on the Mustang. Your priorities are going to change when that baby arrives. In a good way but certainly different.
I sold my Z28 six months after my daughter was born. I bought a Corvette when she left for college. Don't remember much about the cars in between.
Did you talk to my wife? 😄 I hear you. I'm afraid when our son goes to college, naturally aspirated V8s with manuals will be a faint memory of the past :confused:

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
If i were going with a 2017 or 2018, i would shop CPO. There have been several recalls and TSBs on the '17, '18 and early '19 models, and fuel injectors on those models are also "iffy". A CPO would help alleviate any fears with those issues.

Also, if you're into sportiness, the AWD version will corner better than the FWD version, but you also have added expense with fluid maintenance.

You can probably get a new 2019 Sport for under $28k, get full warranty and 0.9% financing for 72 months. That's a deal that's hard to beat!

Wait a year on the sports car. If you absolutely need one, you might consider a Miata for around half the price of the Mustang. Less power but more fun to drive.

Sports car mantra: "it is more fun to go fast with a slow car than to go slow with a fast car".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Even though the RL doesn't seem to depreciate that badly, I don't want a repeat of what I'm just going through (buying new and regretting it). No good deals on RLs in my area really. 2019 Sport AWD is 33,5k. The good deals seem to be 600 - 700 miles away.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Even though the RL doesn't seem to depreciate that badly, I don't want a repeat of what I'm just going through (buying new and regretting it). No good deals on RLs in my area really. 2019 Sport AWD is 33,5k. The good deals seem to be 600 - 700 miles away.
Well, I’ve owned my G1 since 2008 and test drove the G2 but decided not to buy. Instead, I picked up a 2018 Challenger Scat Pack with a manual as my drug of choice, second vehicle. Sold it to my wife as a family vehicle for the weekends but that hasn’t happened. My 4 and 6 year old are cramped in the back if all 4 of us are riding in it. Realistically, it’s a 3 person car. So, we use her SUV or my Ridgeline for family outings. The Challenger is a 3 season daily driver mostly for me to work and back.

As my G1 ages, I’ll probably trade it for a G2. So, if the Mustang will be your personal daily driver, you should be fine. Don’t even think about trying to put a rear facing car seat. My friend has a 2017 California edition Mustang and I can’t imagine how he puts his kids back there, 8 and 10, I think. Anyway, the Ridgeline will cover your family duties and the Mustang will keep the adrenaline flowing. Life is great when you can have your cake and eat it too!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I’ve owned my G1 since 2008 and test drove the G2 but decided not to buy. Instead, I picked up a 2018 Challenger Scat Pack with a manual as my drug of choice, second vehicle. Sold it to my wife as a family vehicle for the weekends but that hasn’t happened. My 4 and 6 year old are cramped in the back if all 4 of us are riding in it. Realistically, it’s a 3 person car. So, we use her SUV or my Ridgeline for family outings. The Challenger is a 3 season daily driver mostly for me to work and back.

As my G1 ages, I’ll probably trade it for a G2. So, if the Mustang will be your personal daily driver, you should be fine. Don’t even think about trying to put a rear facing car seat. My friend has a 2017 California edition Mustang and I can’t imagine how he puts his kids back there, 8 and 10, I think. Anyway, the Ridgeline will cover your family duties and the Mustang will keep the adrenaline flowing. Life is great when you can have your cake and eat it too!

The scat packs are nice, congrats! Yeah, the Mustang would be my toy, just for whenever I'm going somewhere by myself (mostly work during the 3 seasons but also only 3 days a week - I work 2 from home).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts