Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey - i am looking at buying a used ridgeline - probably between the 2008-2010 year range and was just wondering what i should be looking for ? any particular known issues or items to watch? Also any known issues with the RT model vs others or vise versa.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
437 Posts
John -- they are hard to find now as Honda isn't making any new ones till the remodel--Hang in there they are out there just not in high numbers--I have an 06 rt and a 13 trs --no problems with either--Good luck it's worth the wait

·
Registered
521 Posts
Depending on how well versed you are already...do some reading on the refresh done in 2009. Slight changes to motor and tranny IIRC. Other cosmetic tweaks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I purchased my 2011 a few months ago with only 23,000 miles on it and I would agree that you have to be patient and just continue to look until a good low mileage Ridgeline pops up. After doing some research, I decided that the Ridgeline was just what I wanted. When I started looking for one, I realized that a good low mileage Ridgeline was as rare as hens teeth within 200 miles of my home. People just seem to hold on to them and of course they are no longer being built. Add to that the fact that not many were ever sold to begin with and you begin to see the problem. You can find used Ridgelines all day long with 75,000 or more miles on them, but low mileage trucks in nice shape are another matter. By the way, I love my Ridgeline and just don't understand why Honda did't have a run away best selling truck. With some better advertising it could have been. I think they missed their chance. Hope they do better with the updated truck they are about to release.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
# 1 concern on used RL is mileage. And this is because at 100,000+/- miles, Honda calls for a timing belt change. About a $800-1000 expense depending on where you live. The used units tend to be high mileage, so if near 100k ask if there is any evidence the TB change was done. If not, either expect to pay for one and adjust your offer accordingly.

Otherwise follow normal used car rules, look for rust, evidence of repairs, missing parts, bald tires etc. etc.

There is one other possible problem which seems to occur mostly to RLs up north which is corrosion on the connections to the tranny cooler to radiator. If these fail it is a new or rebuilt tranny coming your way. Big bucks. Look for a non-snow belt unit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I purchased my 2011 a few months ago with only 23,000 miles on it and I would agree that you have to be patient and just continue to look until a good low mileage Ridgeline pops up. After doing some research, I decided that the Ridgeline was just what I wanted. When I started looking for one, I realized that a good low mileage Ridgeline was as rare as hens teeth within 200 miles of my home. People just seem to hold on to them and of course they are no longer being built. Add to that the fact that not many were ever sold to begin with and you begin to see the problem. You can find used Ridgelines all day long with 75,000 or more miles on them, but low mileage trucks in nice shape are another matter. By the way, I love my Ridgeline and just don't understand why Honda did't have a run away best selling truck. With some better advertising it could have been. I think they missed their chance. Hope they do better with the updated truck they are about to release.
I could have written this myself. I just recently bought a 2011 with 23k miles on it and just love it. I thought I wanted a pickup until I was turned onto Ridgelines and now have the best of both worlds, an SUV AND a pickup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just found a beautiful 08 with 62K on it, and a one owner. Never had a Ridge before, but seemed to be the way to go from a big Silverado extended cab with an 8 foot bed that I did not need any more. Dealer put about $1000 dollars in service items, and I paid for 1/2 of the timing belt cost. LOVE the truck so far.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The 2009 model did have a number of tweaks. They include a revised front fascia (with integrated daytime running lamps and fog lamps (I think the RT had fog lamp delete panels, though), a slightly different engine (with magnesium intake manifold replacing the aluminum one) with larger valves and a camshaft profile tuned for better low- and mid-range response, slightly different transmission ratios, a revised rear tail lamp design (with red replacing amber for the turn signal color), an integrated receiver hitch, and possibly some other items.

The timing belt and valve adjustment service at 100k miles is not hard to DIY, and you can save a lot of money by avoiding the dealership. Our '09 has 99,850 miles, and I look forward to doing the timing belt job next spring. I did the timing belt a year or so ago on our '05 MDX and it was a breeze. Honda engines are so easy to maintain and service.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
If I were looking for a used RL, I'd shop 'til I found one with super low miles. That's where you're going to get your best value, in my estimation. If you can get one in a fair weather state, all the better.
If the choice is between a newer year model with mid-high miles, and lower miles on an older one, take the older one. A pristine older, low miles vehicle is a real find, presuming you'll be keeping the vehicle a long time, and aren't worried about depressed resale value of the older year. And all bets are off if you're in one of those high-rust areas... then years count, unless you've found one that only gets out in the summer & garaged in winter (unlikely find). Maintenance records are always a key indicator as well.

If you really want to optimize your buy: Sweet-spot would be a later-in-the-year '06 thru '08 with 30K-ish miles on it, that's been garaged, and is for sale (& has spent it's life) in Arizona, So. Calif., Nevada, etc.; no major mechanical failures or collision history. Newer versions of the same may be even better of course if you don't mind a few more dollars.

This all presumes that you're not all ga-ga over the gadget tweaks on the '09 & up (things like added power outlets, etc.). The 'bigger' tweaks (engine, tranny) are virtually unnoticeable to the unaware driver (IMO).

If it means anything to you, the '06-08 (& some '09 IIRC) were made in Canada (vs. Alabama plant). Some believe the '08 was at the peak of learning curve & model maturity.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts