Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

Administrator
Damn. Now I'm thinking I should have gutted it out with the small size of a Tacoma.

Isnt the tranny included in the 7/160K powertrain warranty?
The powertrain warranty that comes with the vehicle lasts for 5 years or 100,000 km and the transmission is included. The fuel injectors are not. Coverage extended to 7 years or 160,000 km only if the vehicle is sold by a Honda dearer as Honda Certified Used.

Administrator

Registered
Discussion Starter #44
They offered me warranty on it, but it was another $2000. I figured if something went wrong with it, $2000 would cover that, if paid from my own pocket.

The deal isnt done yet, so I can still back out...

Administrator
They offered me warranty on it, but it was another $2000. I figured if something went wrong with it, $2000 would cover that, if paid from my own pocket.

The deal isnt done yet, so I can still back out...
That's about what it would cost to replace the fuel injectors. A new transmission would cost about $11,000. Water leaks often take multiple attempts to fix and labor is expensive.

I'm not saying not to buy a Ridgeline, but I personally wouldn't own one that wasn't under warranty. Most of them are likely fine, but they seem to have more than their fair share of problems. Today's Hondas are average at best - they're not like the Hondas of the 80s and 90s. The closest brands left are Toyota, Subaru, and Mazda. The last two don't sell trucks in North America and while the Tacoma is great off road and enjoys top-notch resale value, it's not the most shining example of reliability itself and comfort and cabin space are weak points.

There are bad and good aftermarket warranties. Just make sure the one you get covers everything that is more likely to fail based on owner reports. Most aftermarket warranties require repairs to be pre-authorized and/or may only be valid at specific repair facilities. The nice thing about Honda's warranty is it's good at any Honda dealer.

Super Moderator
The best warranties are the OEM ones on all vehicles. The Honda Care warranty also is very good. I had the option of getting one on our Cadillac before the warranty ran out and i passed. If i had bought one I would have saved about $1500 in repairs. Not sure that was worth it but it might have been a wash as the Cadillac care warranty covers bumper to bumper too.

Steve

Registered
Discussion Starter #48
That's about what it would cost to replace the fuel injectors. A new transmission would cost about $11,000. Water leaks often take multiple attempts to fix and labor is expensive.

I'm not saying not to buy a Ridgeline, but I personally wouldn't own one that wasn't under warranty. Most of them are likely fine, but they seem to have more than their fair share of problems. Today's Hondas are average at best - they're not like the Hondas of the 80s and 90s. The closest brands left are Toyota, Subaru, and Mazda. The last two don't sell trucks in North America and while the Tacoma is great off road and enjoys top-notch resale value, it's not the most shining example of reliability itself and comfort and cabin space are weak points.

There are bad and good aftermarket warranties. Just make sure the one you get covers everything that is more likely to fail based on owner reports. Most aftermarket warranties require repairs to be pre-authorized and/or may only be valid at specific repair facilities. The nice thing about Honda's warranty is it's good at any Honda dealer.
It's done. Truck is mine, @zroger73

I talked to them and they offered the Honda Care warranty, 8yrs/200,000km (from date of in-service) for $4700 or a 3rd party which they deal with exclusively, and have so for years, with 10yrs/200,000km (from date of in-service) for $5700 with $1000 off.

So, I went with the 3rd party, which is bumper-to-bumper for another 6.5 years for the same price as the Honda one for 4 years, since my truck's in-service date is early September of 2016.

So there you go. I have complete coverage until September of 2026.

If I trade the truck in before then, I get credit towards another warranty. If I have no claims, I get $1250 back at the end of the term.

Either way... truck is mine, and she is covered against anything other than regular maintenance for quite some time to come..

41 - 53 of 53 Posts