Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Done test driving. Looking to make my decision carefully. So far I have 3 choices:

2014 Honda Ridgeline SE - $33,000
Black - 20,523 miles

PROs: I'm a really big fan of the leather seats and sunroof/moonroof. The Honda navigation seems a little poor but I'm sure I could upgrade it. This vehicle also comes with a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

CONs: Pretty expensive I minus well buy a 2017.

2014 Honda Ridgeline Sport - $29,487
Black 18,997 miles

PROs: There's about 5 months left of warranty on the truck and the interior is like brand new with incredible low mileage.

CONs: This salesman is a pretty tough negotiator and the dealership is about a 2 hour drive from where I'm located. The truck bed is also pretty dinged up.

2013 Honda Ridgeline Sport - $25,888
Black- 22,000 miles

PROs: Least expensive and closest to me. Only 22,000 miles not bad.

CONs: The interior is pretty gunky and some pieces on the dashboard are peeling off. The floors are a little scuffed too.

I'm really hoping to make my decision by the end of the month. Am I kidding myself with the Special Edition? Is it really worth the leather seats and sun roof? I'm really just digging the warranty on the SE. I know whatever decision I make, my Honda Ridgeline will be a reliable car and great for the family!

What do you guys think? I appreciate the advice!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
You can buy a new second gen Sport for about the same price as the SE. while a new one decked out like the SE will cost around 40K. (I'm sure I'llbe corrected if I'm wrong, I'm not in the market for 2017 ans am just going by a car gurus search)

So if I were in your shoes and wanted the sport I'd go with a second gen, but I think you loose some options like the sliding rear window.

But If I wanted the SE I'd buy used and save the money. Especially with that warranty.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,586 Posts
If you want black, you seem to have some good choices!

I'm personally not much of a fan of the Sport trim. It doesn't include the tow harness even though it comes with a hitch. But if you don't tow, that may not be a big deal. But that SE with a 100k warranty (is that Honda or some local dealer warranty?) is attractive.

Make sure you know the differences in the trim lines. If you're happy with the Sport trim, then go for it.

I also expect you are able to do some serious negotiations and that those are list prices you quoted. If not, you might be better served to look at the G2 models, unless the AWD versions are priced outside your market. At least all G1 RLs are AWD. But you might not even want AWD, as it appears you are buying in a warm climate. But if you travel to the mountains/snow at all, you'll definitely want AWD.

What features are important to you?

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
The G2 is definitely in your price range. If you like all of the many updates and the new look of the G2, you shouldn't have much trouble finding one of the Sport trims for around the $33k mark. On the other hand, all of the bells and whistles of the 2014 SE are appealing, for sure. If you have kids, leather is a VERY good thing to have. I find that it's way easier to clean and keep clean than cloth - especially the cloth that's in the RL. Yes, the navigation system in it is ancient, but it is upgradeable. The Sport model is basically an RT with fancy wheels and a few other trim pieces. It's expensive for what it offers, although the $25k price is somewhat attractive. If the inside is gunked up and dash pieces are peeling already, I doubt the original owner took very good care of it.

One question on the 100k warranty - is it the Honda certified warranty? If so, it's 7 years and 100k miles from the date of first purchase (original owner) for the powertrain only. That means you'd have about 4 years and 78k miles left on it. It also carries a 12 month, 12,000 mile bumper to bumper from YOUR date of purchase. I would ensure the details of that before moving forward.

If you like the G1 and you're looking for a vehicle to serve you for a very long time, I wouldn't hesitate on that SE model. Although, it would need to come down in price a few thousand for me to be a buyer. Go check out the G2 and give it a test drive. Only then will you know which generation of RL is best for you and your family. If you're going to spend $33k on a vehicle, you may as well look to spend $35-36k on a brand new model with upgrades that are a decade ahead of the 2014 model.

Reactions: speedlever

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
If you're willing to pay $33k for a used 2014 SE, you could negotiate a 2017 RTL for $33-34k or even an RTL-T for $36k. The new truck is so much more advanced than the Gen1 truck, although you can't go wrong with a Gen1.

Reactions: speedlever
1 - 6 of 6 Posts