Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Loose Grab Handle - missing all 3 bolts

My passenger closed the front door the other day and we heard a loud pop. I checked the grab handle and it was very loose pulling on the door panel like it was going to take the whole panel off. I had a rattle coming from this area and previously had the dealer take a look at it. They said they didn't find anything but put some foam around the cables anyway.

Figuring I gotta do everything myself if I want it done right I just took off the handle cover and discovered the grab handle was not attached at all, all 3 bolts were missing! I checked to see if they had slipped out somewhere but they were no where to be found. A trip to the hardware store fixed the problem but I'm left with the feeling of what else is missing.

I figure they were not installed from the factory as I had a rattle there before the dealer ever took off the panel. Although the rattle could have been something else. None the less the dealer really should have noticed this and is negligent for either not noticing or for forgetting to put the bolts back in. Still love the truck though but any rattle I hear from now on I'll just get out my wrench and start digging.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Re: Loose Grab Handle - missing all 3 bolts

vertrkr said:
I figure they were not installed from the factory as I had a rattle there before the dealer ever took off the panel. Although the rattle could have been something else. None the less the dealer really should have noticed this and is negligent for either not noticing or for forgetting to put the bolts back in. Still love the truck though but any rattle I hear from now on I'll just get out my wrench and start digging.
But how did they not notice this problem, don't you have to detatch the handle to take off the panel? I wouldn't be surprised if the screws were there from the factory but perhaps not screwed in and thus the rattle, but still if the service guys openned that they should have noticed that there were loose screws or no screws.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Loose Grab Handle - missing all 3 bolts

captmiddy said:
But how did they not notice this problem, don't you have to detatch the handle to take off the panel? I wouldn't be surprised if the screws were there from the factory but perhaps not screwed in and thus the rattle, but still if the service guys openned that they should have noticed that there were loose screws or no screws.
Yep, the handle has to come off to remove the panel. Just goes to show ya the attention to detail (or lack of) some dealer techs have.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
It makes me wonder if the tech found the bolts in the bottom of the door, and removed them thinking that they were the cause of the rattle.

·
Registered
460 Posts
one thing is for sure...............someone definately has some screws loose! :D
hey, thanks alot, im here all week.............try the veal :rolleyes:

L

·
0 Posts
jeffiam said:
one thing is for sure...............someone definately has some screws loose! :D
hey, thanks alot, im here all week.............try the veal :rolleyes:

you're a goof!! :rolleyes:

I rolled on the floor in pain one night when Drew, my 14 year old was crackin' jokes left and right at the dinner table. After about 10 minutes of dinner and free entertainment, he finally stood up, picked up his plate and excused himself from the table and said, "Thanks, I'm here til Thursday." I wanted to die. :D

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Vertrkr, my door handles move back and forth about a 32nd of an inch. Is this a lot of movement? Also, are the handle screws located behind the plastic panel in back of the door opener??

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
5S Dude said:
Vertrkr, my door handles move back and forth about a 32nd of an inch. Is this a lot of movement? Also, are the handle screws located behind the plastic panel in back of the door opener??
That sounds normal, with mine you could see it pulling/bowing the door panel. You remove the two screws behind the pop-off panel and then pull out the door handle and behind that you'll see the 3 bolts which mount the grab handle to the door frame.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ladyridge said:
Nah..just our test pilot. :D
Indeed and I don't mind so much. I knew I was rolling the dice with a low vin # on a first year build. I love to tinker so if my truck had no problems or projects I'd just be tiddling my thumbs waiting for something else to break around my house so I have an excuse to rip it apart and put back together again :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts