Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems i have to air up a tire about once a month that's lost about 7 psi. I check them all the other day and they were all below 30...is it normal to lose that much and I just never noticed before TPMS?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
may i suggest using nitrogen to fill your tire? Costco fills their tires with Nitrogen, and nitrogen is larger molecule than standard air. So you don't have to fill when you change altitude or when it gets cold or hot.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
kanji said:
may i suggest using nitrogen to fill your tire? Costco fills their tires with Nitrogen, and nitrogen is larger molecule than standard air. So you don't have to fill when you change altitude or when it gets cold or hot.
Got a question, where do you get nitrogen? They have at gas stations?:cool:

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Zlash said:
Seems i have to air up a tire about once a month that's lost about 7 psi. I check them all the other day and they were all below 30...is it normal to lose that much and I just never noticed before TPMS?
You normally lose about 1 pound per month and 1 pound per 10 degree drop (pressure will increase when temp rises by same amount). Are your tires cold when you check them AND fill them? If you fill them hot, i.e. after driving to the gas station, but check them cold, then it will appear you've lost more than you actually have.

If it's only 1 tire, then you probably have a nail or something in the tire allowing it to leak slowly.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Tex's Ridge said:
Got a question, where do you get nitrogen? They have at the gas stations:cool:
As i mentioned Costco fills their tires with nitrogen and make sure you specify to them @ what psi you want on the tires. If you don't have a Costco near you, any Aeronotics shop can help you out, most planes or large commercial planes uses Nitrogen to fill their tires with air.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
No matter what you have in your tires, you should still check them at least once a month.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
If it's only one tire, I would have it checked for an imbedded puncture (nail, screw, etc.).

Check your air pressure often. I do this twice a month. A full set of these Michelins is about $800 (!!!!) . 20 minutes a month is a worthwhile investment.

And while you're at it, use a good gauge. I use a Longacre racing gauge, 0-60 pounds.

·
Registered
88 Posts
We had a cold spell hit central Illinois yesterday and all 4 tire monitors went off. When I checked, all had registered about 25psi. First time I've ever seen that much of a drop at once. Also the first time I've ever had TPMS on a vehicle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts