Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 RTL with 112k miles. I was pulling into a parking lot, and as I am attempting to park, the power steering completely disappears. The engine was still running fine. I promptly park, and turn off the engine, check for a major power steering leak, but nothing. I attempt to turn it back on, and the engine doesn't fire at all.

I walked down to the auto parts store and rented a code reader, no codes. I bring down the battery, and they said it was fine. After about an hour of looking for something wrong (fuses, leaks, etc) I called a tow truck to bring it home. In preparation for the tow truck, I put it in N, and turn the key one more time, it fires right up, and the power steering is back.

I drove it home, and it has been business as usual ever since. I am completely stumped on what happened. I thought the power steering was mechanical? If the engine is running it should be there...right?

It was super rainy that day, some kind of electrical problem? I just couldn't understand how these two issues were related, and what was the cause of either.

We did have lots of electrical things running (seat heaters, charging phone, defrost, radio, etc).

Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
302 Posts
You hit a large puddle of water and it got your accessory belt wet, causing the steering to temporarily go out. In the haist and confusion, you shut the truck off while it was in Drive. Unlabe to restart the truck in drive, you soon found out that it would start in Neutral and all is fine now.

I've had both of these happen to me but not at the same time.

This is very likely what happened to you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, good idea! I am pretty confident that it was in P though, possibly it was stuck between P and R, but definitely not in D that whole time.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yea, very likely the situation scared you and you were not totally aware of where the shifter was. I slid off the hwy a few years back on black ice and my car shuts the engine off after a collison. Since mine wasn't that bad I was going to drive back onto the hwy, I couldn't for the life of me get the car to start back up... after several min of calming down I realized I was still in drive. lol... you don't really think about those kind of things in situations like that.

It started right back up once I put it in park.

Also in high school I was turning a really sharp corner in the rain, hit a deep puddle and missed the turn..... luckily I hit nothing. I couldn't make the turn because the steering when out. Figured out later it was from water on the belt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts