Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all new to the forum. I have a 2006 rt and am the original owner. I have recently had a problem were my truck will start fine and then drive fine when all of a sudden I loose power. I have to sit on the side of the road for about 15-20 min then the truck will start up again go down the road a few miles and do it all over again. I brought it to autozone today and they could not read a code or tell me what was wrong with the truck. Anyone have a clue as to what this might be thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have replaced the fuel pump filter and fuel relay it was working fine after that for a while. now I am not getting any spark. don't know where to go from here any advice on this would be great

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Hi all new to the forum. I have a 2006 rt and am the original owner. I have recently had a problem were my truck will start fine and then drive fine when all of a sudden I loose power. I have to sit on the side of the road for about 15-20 min then the truck will start up again go down the road a few miles and do it all over again. I brought it to autozone today and they could not read a code or tell me what was wrong with the truck. Anyone have a clue as to what this might be thanks.
When you say "lose power"... does that mean the engine just shuts off completely?... or does it just cut way back so you have to pull over. If the latter, your truck may be going into "limp" mode. There are certain circumstances with some systems that can do that to the truck. You really have to find out what codes are being thrown off, if any. Is your check-engine light on when this happens (image of an engine on the dash board)? You never really want to try to solve your problem by throwing parts at it.... it costs you money, and in some instances might actually make things worse (errors during repair). If you didn't 'verify' that your engine was starved for fuel, then you may not have needed the work on the fuel system to begin with. I'm not saying you didn't... I'm just saying you need to get a good diagnosis before taking repair action if at all possible.
Try to get a real mechanic to pull codes for you if you can get your truck to one. Alternately, you can buy an inexpensive code reader yourself... they are readily available (check online) .... and read them yourself. If you do that, you'll be prepared for similar needs in the future with your RL & other vehicles of your own, or family/friends.
Good Luck... keep us posted on what you find. (Until we find out more, I'd say there are too many potential causes for your generic symptoms to point you in any particular direction)

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,050 Posts
My first thought would be a bad connection between the key and the immobilizer system. If you don't get communication between those two things, the entire truck will go into a limp mode while running and then won't start again until it sees that connection. Do you have another key? Have you ever changed the battery in your keys? The other more serious thing I thought of would be a failing ECU. Nevertheless, RL's aren't known for having many electrical issues. I think this is definitely something that needs to be diagnosed by a reputable dealership.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,667 Posts
The battery in the key fob has nothing to do with the immobilizer (that's RFID technology). The battery in the fob is strictly for the remote door locking/alarm/power windows.

If you have replaced the fuel pump filter, then you had to go in from the rear seat area and pull the fuel tank unit from the gas tank. It is not a user serviceable filter.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,378 Posts
OP has two different threads with different focuses which doesn't help his situation. In the other thread he has no spark.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,050 Posts
OP has two different threads with different focuses which doesn't help his situation. In the other thread he has no spark.
Which is why I think there's something going on with the immobilizer system or the ECU.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Catalytic converter may be the bandit.
I had the same exact problem with my 08 rtx and it ended up being a clogged catalytic conv as well 110% . At the time of this incident it had approximately 96k .I have updated my ridge numerous times. Normal upkeep seemed to have worked for me I have 116,003 as of 10/10/20. I have pretty much surpassed all possible options on the ridge and feel it is the best truck that works for me. It is and continues to serve the best purpose for me and my family to the fullest. New belts,hoses, plugs,coils,power steering pumps,timing belts,water pump,kyb struts, alternator,brakes,etc... I love this truck I has been the best vehicle I have ever owned, such an honest truck. I am a new member but have owned the ridgeline for many years now and plan to be full companion now.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,667 Posts
@Happiest ridgeline owner Welcome to the ROC. Many of us agree the Ridgeline is unique and serves its purpose very well... better than any other solution out there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts