Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have no keys for my 2006 Rideline left and need to get some new ones made. The new key has to be able to start the igniton/crank the truck up.

I called a locksmith and was told they could come to my house and cut/program a key for $185.

Is this true? Or does the dealer need to be involved in this process for it to crank the truck up?

I dont mind getting a key without a FOB, im fine with just a grey key that cranks the truck up for now.

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,375 Posts
I would call your local Honda dealer and ask what they would charge to get you a new key for your Ridgeline, all Honda needs is your VIN number. Then you will know if the locksmith is giving you a good deal or not. I think the locksmith has to get the key design from the manufacturer or he may have to take apart one of your key cylinders to examine it so he can make a key with the correct indentations. Maybe locksmiths have some sort of molding device that they can insert into a key cylinder and get a blueprint for how it is to look, I don't really know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would call your local Honda dealer and ask what they would charge to get you a new key for your Ridgeline, all Honda needs is your VIN number. Then you will know if the locksmith is giving you a good deal or not. I think the locksmith has to get the key design from the manufacturer or he may have to take apart one of your key cylinders to examine it so he can make a key with the correct indentations. Maybe locksmiths have some sort of molding device that they can insert into a key cylinder and get a blueprint for how it is to look, I don't really know.
The locksmith said he could cut they key no problem and program it too. Im just wondering if the key would be able to crank up the truck.

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,375 Posts
The locksmith said he could cut they key no problem and program it too. Im just wondering if the key would be able to crank up the truck.
If he/she said they can "program it too" then that tells me the new key can be used to open the In-Bed Trunk as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts