Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( We got out Ridge on March 12 a few days that they had been out, only the second that the Duval hinda had sold. And we have done nothing but love that truck. On Friday 11/25/05 on my way to work, i spelt something a little change.........coming out of the AC vent. I turned the heater off......the smell of smoke started to get heavier and heavier. I looked into the vent and noticed that there was smoke and fire billowing inside.....not sure where it was coming from...I got out of the truck, called Fire/Rescue, and began to get most of the belongings that I could. The truck was fully involved by time fire/rescue arrived on scene.:(
It is currently under investagation:mad: , to see excatly what has happened. :(

I must say that, back in Septmber I noticed that the radio which is still stock was wired incorrectly, I mentioned it the last time that I took the baby in for servicing. They said that they would have to take the dash out and have it re-wired the correct way. And that it would be an all day affair, I havent had the time to have that done, and my dealer doesnt offer loaner cars. Am i saying that this is the reason that this happened? I am not sure.

As anyone had anything simular??

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I'mm glad that you got out okay. Please keep us posted once the cause of thois devastating fire is known.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
What a dreadful story except for the fact that no one was injured. I hope you are fully compensated soon and back on the road with a brand new Ridgeline.

It is a sad irony that this happened to a firefighter. Please come back and update us as this sad story unfolds. One of our other members had his truck totalled in an accident and is in a new RL again. I hope that you will have a quick and similar resolution.

Here's his story if it will provide you with any advice or inspiration for going to battle with your insurance company.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3096

L

·
0 Posts
OMG Rob...I am so glad you got out safely.
Please keep us posted as to the outcome of the investigation. It's real important to us and those who read this forum to be as well educated about this vehicle as possible. Thank you and again...we're so glad you are alright.

·
Registered
897 Posts
how did you know the stereo was wired incorrectly?

If it makes you feel any better - prices now are better then when you bought so maybe you can get into a newer better one :)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Flfirerob said:
:( We got out Ridge on March 12 a few days that they had been out, only the second that the Duval hinda had sold. And we have done nothing but love that truck. On Friday 11/25/05 on my way to work, i spelt something a little change.........coming out of the AC vent. I turned the heater off......the smell of smoke started to get heavier and heavier. I looked into the vent and noticed that there was smoke and fire billowing inside.....not sure where it was coming from...I got out of the truck, called Fire/Rescue, and began to get most of the belongings that I could. The truck was fully involved by time fire/rescue arrived on scene.:(
It is currently under investagation:mad: , to see excatly what has happened. :(

I must say that, back in Septmber I noticed that the radio which is still stock was wired incorrectly, I mentioned it the last time that I took the baby in for servicing. They said that they would have to take the dash out and have it re-wired the correct way. And that it would be an all day affair, I havent had the time to have that done, and my dealer doesnt offer loaner cars. Am i saying that this is the reason that this happened? I am not sure.

As anyone had anything simular??
How was it determined the radio was wired incorrectlY?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Did the dealer claim the stereo was wired incorrectly? If so, did you get this in writing?

I hope your answers are both yes.

fins

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
meanie said:
So sorry for your loss. Glad you are not hurt.
I am replying so that I can received email notification about this topic.
FYI -- You can click on "Thread Tools" and subscribe without posting. Personally though, I'd rather see everyone posting! :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
Sure makes me rethink the wisdom of parking this baby in my attached garage at home.

How could you tell the radio was wired incorrectly without taking the dash apart?

·
Registered
319 Posts
My concern for the guy is that they told him to get it in for service and he did not. Hopefully that is not percieved as negligence on his part.:(

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sorry I was at work most of the day

I noticed that the radio was wired backwards went i went to balance the sound from front to back, well it wouldnt let me it would only got left to right. i know that doesnt make much sense but that is the only thing that i can think of that could have happened.............The service department told me that they would have to take the whole dash out. Other than that nothing else has evergone wrong with the truck. Angie and I got the truck about 4-5 days after they came out. We loved that truck so much and now i am afraid to drive. I am a fireman i keeping thinking that WHAT if Ang was drivng, WHAT IF she had the kids in the truck. Just Tuesday she picked up 76 boxed turkey dinners for children at an area school for Thanksgiving, she would have tried to killed herself trying to empty the truck.
Duval Honda they have NO comment, NO sympathy at all NONE what so ever. It is a LITTLE sad. I have always had Honda products, and now i am rethinking

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dboz said:
My concern for the guy is that they told him to get it in for service and he did not. Hopefully that is not percieved as negligence on his part.:(

Well it was I the brought it to there attention, they said that it shouldnt be that big of a deal.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Flfirerob said:
sorry I was at work most of the day

I noticed that the radio was wired backwards went i went to balance the sound from front to back, well it wouldnt let me it would only got left to right. i know that doesnt make much sense but that is the only thing that i can think of that could have happened.............The service department told me that they would have to take the whole dash out. Other than that nothing else has evergone wrong with the truck. Angie and I got the truck about 4-5 days after they came out. We loved that truck so much and now i am afraid to drive. I am a fireman i keeping thinking that WHAT if Ang was drivng, WHAT IF she had the kids in the truck. Just Tuesday she picked up 76 boxed turkey dinners for children at an area school for Thanksgiving, she would have tried to killed herself trying to empty the truck.
Duval Honda they have NO comment, NO sympathy at all NONE what so ever. It is a LITTLE sad. I have always had Honda products, and now i am rethinking
The factory may have wired the radio wrong, but is looks like the dealer is the one that caused it to burn. I'm kinda trying to stick up for Honda MFG here, the dealer seems to know they might have screwed up and don't want to take the heat.

·
Registered
190 Posts
DoctorJ said:
I don't see how the speakers being wired wrong could have caused a fire. There is not enough power going through those wires. There must have been something else really wrong, perhaps a connector was in the wrong place and the speaker control was merely a symptom.
It couldn't have been the speaker wire. But they did take the entire dash off, and replaced the wiring. Who knows what shorted or they could have soft set a coupler that caused arcing.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.