Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this has been answered elsewhere, I apologize, but the posts I found in searching all seemed to be concerned with programming fobs for keyless entry or anti theft.

I have an 06 Ridgeline base model (RT). Unfortunately I am down to just the gray valet key. I don't need keyless entry. All I want is another key to open the doors, and start the truck for a spare. Can I make one with a blank, and my existing key at any locksmith, or am I doomed to pay the high dealership costs? I know that slowly over the years, the manufacturers have been adding chips, and things to the keys, but I can't find anything that expressly addresses 06 Ridgeline. Thank you in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
From what I understand, the Valet Key, has a chip which the "immobilizer" in the ignition switch is using to validate the key. If you have lost the keys with the remote, then those chips are gone. If you have them you could cut new keys and move the "immobilizer" chips over to the new key.

When I had a new remote Key and valet key cut, the Honda Dealer had the technician use the HDS, removed the lost Valet & Remote key and added the two new keys to the system. The tech said if I found either key, the HDS would be required to add them back in to start the truck, currently if I find them it will open the Drivers Door, (Glove Box & Trunk remote key only) and unlock the steering column. Supposedly that is all either of those keys would do., basically not allow the truck to start because of the immobilizer chip.

Do I know for sure, nope

Good Luck

·
Registered
998 Posts
No matter where you get key cut, it's going to have to be programed to truck. The valet key has a chip also. It is cut a little different then the main keys. Should work the doors and ignition. If it operates (any) other lock in the truck then it has been cut as a (master). There are so many keys you can add to the computer. If a locksmith does it, he may just code it as another # 1 key. Not totally sure how they do it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses, I was afraid of that. I guess it is off to the dealer. The dealers around me are telling me $115-140 over the phone, I was hoping it wouldn't cost that much for just a key, but they have no competition I guess.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Well Unfortunately, Your profile provides little to "NO" detail, such as where you are located.

My personal experience, my dealer wanted $139 to cut and program 1 Remote Key, or $119 to cut and program 1 Valet Key, I called around found the keys online (from a Honda Dealer) for much less than others wanted and a dealer down the hill (about 1hr from me) charged a flat $50 to Program the Keys, and matched the Online Price. I got a Remote and a Valet for $117 IIRC or just under what my local dealer wanted for 1 Valet Key.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought an OEM blank key from a dealership on ebay for $35ish recently. You CAN program the keyless entry portion yourself, and it's very easy. The key isn't cut, and isn't programmed to the ignition, but it is a key to keep as a spare that can unlock the vehicle as long as it has power.

I haven't conceded that I'm paying anyone $100+ to plug a key into a grinder and a computer for a few minutes, but it seems to be a necessary evil with these if you want a true spare.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,335 Posts
I bought an OEM blank key from a dealership on ebay for $35ish recently. You CAN program the keyless entry portion yourself, and it's very easy. The key isn't cut, and isn't programmed to the ignition, but it is a key to keep as a spare that can unlock the vehicle as long as it has power.

I haven't conceded that I'm paying anyone $100+ to plug a key into a grinder and a computer for a few minutes, but it seems to be a necessary evil with these if you want a true spare.
OK, so what is the procedure for programming the keyless entry part?

In my case, I have an almost new 2014 Ridge that has all its key but I want to program my old 2006's (RIP) keys to be able to open the doors. I watched the service guy do this 5 years ago but can't remember the exact procedure.

Please let us know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've replaced my original key twice and I have another "spare" just in case.

Programming the keyless entry is a piece of cake and the instructions are easily available with a quick google search.

As far as the "security" chip goes... I've simply pulled the unprogrammed chip out of the new "ebay" key and thrown it away. Then cut the original chip out of the original key and super glued it into the new, replacement key. Basically, $20 for a new key on ebay and Ace Hardware stores can cut the blank key for $10.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Thanks for the responses, I was afraid of that. I guess it is off to the dealer. The dealers around me are telling me $115-140 over the phone, I was hoping it wouldn't cost that much for just a key, but they have no competition I guess.
I am going back yet again today to Jacksonville's #1 locksmith to try get whole again. After about 8 years I decided to finally replace MY missing spare.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
What a comedy of errors. After more than an hour and a half at it 12 days ago, the tech could not seem to fully program the new key. And in the process -- when he went to replace the battery in my 1 good key -- he dropped all the parts on the carpeting losing the chip. (I had dug it out 2 years ago when the housing broke off the shank and I replaced it with a blank from Amazon for $8).

Long story short, it was 5:15 pm on a Friday and he still couldn't get them both programmed properly (and I had to pick my son up at the airport at 6 pm). Wound up giving me my old key -- which could open all the locks but not start the engine -- and the new key -- which could start the engine but not unlock anything.

Resolved the problem Monday next, only to get home and discover the valet key no longer works...$128 later. Just now freed up the time to go back to get the valet key programmed. They're saying, it shouldn't be a problem.

"Wish me luck, I'm gonna need it."

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts