Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Ridgeline is typicall very quiet, however, during this cold spell (below 20 deg) my truck is making a very loud sound, which I originally though was a hole in my muffler. I took it to the exhaust shop, they found no leaks and the sound stopped. However, this morning I let it warm up for about 10 minutes, and the sound is back again. I put it into neutral while rolling down the street, reved the engine, it shound didnt increase. I put it back into gear and the sound came back. This tells me its coming from the running gear or drive train. Does anyone have experience with that problem?

thanks

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
First thing check your tranny fluid level. If its low, you need to add some, and possibly have a leak. The fill hole is low in the engine bay and requires tools. The weather is such that the fluid is thickening. It may just be that the exhaust shop is just far enough that it warmed up fully by the time you got there.

Maybe the transfer case and lube, but problems there are very rare.

Otherwise, I can't think of anything that falls within your description. I assume the exhaust shop put it up on a lift and looked around.

The only other sound that I've experienced that meets your criteria is snow pack in a wheel well, but Im pretty sure you'd figure that out pretty quick.

Maybe you could describe the sound better. Seems like you thought it was exhaust related. any other clues?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me...my situation was was snow packed (then froze) around the exhaust area directly underneath the center console. Collected it while driving through some fresh snowfall, followed by three days below freezing. My commute is short, so it never had a chance to melt completely. YMMV.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to double check your records from maintenance of tranny, VTM-4 and transfer case fluids. It's important they use the correct ones.....
Did you rev the engine when you put it in neutral, to confirm it is related to being in gear & not the speed of the engine? (since you were at idle speed while in neutral I presume)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts