Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All you Yankees are not familiar with the love bugs we have in Florida. About twice a year they inundate our state, particularly near highways (something about exhaust fumes) and coat our cars with their bodies. (They are called love bugs cause they typically fly "united"). Anyway, I was unable to get all the residue off my car (I had a good reason - heart attack and triple bypass) but now I have these blemishes and paint damage on the front of my Ridge. Anybody have any good ideas for restoring her beauty?

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
I just read your post and can't relate to your problem. However considering the way I clean my truck, A hand car wash and detailing location would be where I would go with a hand wax and polishing included at least once every 6 months! I hope it works for you. :)

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Sorry to hear about your health problems and paint damage. I hope you recover from both real soon.
When I saw the title of your thread, being a Yankee, I thought your RL had been hit by a VW Beetle. :confused:

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
RidgeDog said:
All you Yankees are not familiar with the love bugs we have in Florida. About twice a year they inundate our state, particularly near highways (something about exhaust fumes) and coat our cars with their bodies. (They are called love bugs cause they typically fly "united"). Anyway, I was unable to get all the residue off my car (I had a good reason - heart attack and triple bypass) but now I have these blemishes and paint damage on the front of my Ridge. Anybody have any good ideas for restoring her beauty?
I have run into them several times, mostly on I-10 through the Oseola National Forest. Strange little creatures with tremendous sex drive, you always see 2 attached. I was always advised to get them off ASAP as they leave a residue that is harmful to the finish. The last trip I made to Daytona, the motel clerk handed me $5 and told me to take it throught the car wash ASAP. It is quite a sight to see every vehicle you meet with a solid black front with the only clear being the windshield wiper path. Good luck getting it cleaned up.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I ran into love bugs on a motorcycle trip going through Florida. What a disgusting mess they made of my bike. Took me two hours to get the mess cleaned up. Worst part was, motorcycles don't have wipers to keep the windshield clean. Made many stops that day. :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
RidgeDog said:
Hi RidgeDog, Welcome to the club. Ever try Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover? Ya gotta wash and wax right after because it will strip the bug guts as well as any wax you may have had.:p

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just spent about an hour trying to find these three threads. I remember reading about this clear protective material that you put over the paint and it is very hard to see unless you know what to look for. I do not know if this stuff will be of benefit but give it a look to see if it will help protect your ride.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1384

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2909&highlight=clear

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3094&highlight=clear

·
Registered
802 Posts
Unfortunately, if they have sat on there for a while, the damage is semi-permanent. Bug guts will etch clear coat if not removed quickly-especially if the surface is not waxed / sealed very well. A professional detailer can lessen the appearance of damage with a rotary and an aggressive compound, but it will still be there. A PC will have a slight effect, but I've never been able to remove more than about 25% of the damage with one. It doesn't help now, but always keep a good coat of wax or sealant on any area prone to bug damage-I always do an extra coat on the fascia, A-Pillars and mirrors just for bug guts. And if you do smack a lot of bugs, wash it off within a few days by hand-a drive through car wash normally won't remove them. HTH

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the inputs I received. I will ask around at the local detailing shops and body repair about what they can do. They must have experience in fixing love bug damage around here. I wish I had seen the protective film info before my truck got messed up.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Those Love Bugs are one of the main reasons that I sprung for the Xilion exterior paint treatment. My dealer enclosed a paper that specifically stated that they wil repair love bug damage.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
We get the frisky little devils here in Texas a couple times a year also and one of the tricks we do is just before entering a car wash, we shake up a bottle of Coke (soft drink) and spray the mirrors and front end. That seems to help get them off as good as anything.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes, I hate the darn things too!!!!
They ruined the front end of two vehicles the first year I lived here.

A couple of tricks I found for removing them are:
1) Wash them off as soon as possible after you see them.
2) If you live in a humid area, not desert like Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, etc., the dew that collects over night will soften them up and make it easy to wash off. As long as you get to it before the dew dries.
I used to work in a small airport cleaning aircraft and found the zillions of bugs the planes would collect were easy to clean off just before, or at, sunrise.
3) I know you'll hate this one....I found that Simple Green will soften them up. Unfortunately it will also remove all traces of wax at the same time so a re-waxing of the affected area is necessary. And no, I haven't found that it will damage the paint. Been doing it for years and haven't seen any damage.....yet.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If I recall it right they seem to appear around April/May and again in September/October.
But I 'd keep the front end and wind shield areas as clean as possible. As long as you wash them off and don't leave them there for a week or more, you should be fine. We have many fine car washes here. Many specialize in bug removal.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
AIBIKR said:
:eek: We were planning a Disney trip during spring break this year... Will I have to worry about these critters in March?
We unknowingly ran into these critters in Mississippi in August (post-Katrina aid trip) and they are AWFUL! I suggest that you apply as much wax as is possible to anything that might be splattered by these bugs. I loved the trip to Mississippi and the people were simply great, but I'll never live in the love bug zone (unless they invade Ohio! :eek: :eek: ).

·
Registered
393 Posts
I remember going to FL in October and "hitting" the love bugs. Before I saw the bugs, I saw all these signs advertising "Love Bug Screen For Sale". The screens prevented the bugs from clogging your radiator. When you got into FL after hitting them in GA, you would see all the Yankees pulled over to the side with overheated engines. I didn't get bothered because I had a Type 3 VW which was air-cooled with engine in the back:D , but I remember using my ice scraper to get them off the windshield every 25 miles or so.:(
Don't they still sell the screens?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I can't say for other sections of Florida, but in the Orlando/Kissimmee/Attractions areas the love bugs seem to be less and less of a problem. I bet it has something to do with all the new construction and the reduction of natural forrest.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I had the same this happen to me several years ago. I had a brand spanking new 1984 Nissan 300ZX that I drove down to Florida to visit my grandparents. The love bugs had covered the front of my car by the time I reached their house. To add insult to injury, I couldn't wash them off immediately because they were having a water shortage and I couldn't wash my car at the house. Long story short (I tried everything to get the guts off the paint) 10 years (and hundreds of washings/waxings) later there was still love bug crud on the paint. I'm afraid that you may be stuck with love bug guts glued to your car.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I feel your pain, as I live in UCLA (Upper Corner of Lower Alabama), and we too are assailed by them critters twice a year. When the season hits, I REFUSE to ride my Goldwing! They are a pain to clean, about the best thing to do is wash as SOON as you get home.

More of a prevention than a cure, someone told me to get some Pam (or similar) cooking spray, and coat the front of the car. She said it kept them from damaging the paint, but the mess was just as bad. The ultimate goal is to keep their acid off the paint, to prevent the pitting. Never tried it, but may do so this spring.

Good luck!

F6

·
Registered
307 Posts
Someone I know and trust just forwarded me an e-mail stating that WD-40 is good for removing bugs from cars.

·
Premium Member
16,728 Posts
It would be the time of year to carry along a container of Bug & Tar remover with you. I use Turtle Wax, but there are other kinds available. In March, I've already had to use that on my trips to Melbourne to remove the critters that committed "hari-kari" on I-95 in the Kennedy Space Center area.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts