Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
'07/'12/'17 Ridges sold to family/friend. Still see them regularly :)
227 Posts
My suggestion to everyone is to make sure you document EVERYTHING you can when you take your vehicle in for service. By that I mean:

1. Take complete cellphone photos of your vehicle at drop off documenting mileage, all 4 wheels (one of the most commonly damaged parts), both exterior sides, interior, frontend, rearend, and engine compartment.

2. Get paper copies of everything you can. If they don't want to provide a copy, take a photo of the document they are asking you to sign.

3. Get the name of everyone you talk to.

3. Take the same photos of any rental vehicle, as well as any rental agreement they give you to sign (they do not always hand you the full document after its copied).

4. Take the same photos of the rental vehicle upon return showing no damage. And, have them mark your documents by hand showing no damage. Do not rely on an emailed copy.

I know it sounds crazy, but having taken photos of one of my Hondas at the dealership when I took it in for service proved THEY damaged it when they went to give it back. I pointed the damage out to them and they balked saying it was like that... until I showed them my photos from that morning when I arrived in their lot. They then cut me a check after I got an estimate.

And, on my new vehicle that was totaled at the DEALERSHIP (not Honda) last year, taking photos of my truck during drop off and their paperwork (they didn't know I had taken) showed the BS claims the dealer made weren't true (after I sued them to recoupe my loss and they filed their answer to the Court). But, I had photos and copies of EVERYTHING. To bad for them that they didn't know that I documented everything so thorough. SURPRISE! SURPRISE! :ROFLMAO::D

(I should note I am not a fan of lawsuits and have never sued anyone before. However, they willfully wronged me and I wanted to make a point. And....I did.)

·
Registered
'07/'12/'17 Ridges sold to family/friend. Still see them regularly :)
227 Posts
I saw a YT video earlier today where someone brought in their truck with over 130k miles on it because it wasn't running right. Turns out the owner had only ever had 1 oil change in the truck's (now limited) life.

Brake fluid can easily fall under the radar, but how can someone not know that the motor oil needs routine servicing?
I agree. How do people not know the basics of car ownership? Changing a tire, adding fuel, checking the oil? Knowing why brakes are squealing when the pads are GONE?

I was at an Aston Martin dealership yesterday. They had one of their new and very expensive cars in and the tech was doing a compression check. I asked the tech what was the issue. He said the car showed it was low on oil. So, the owner dumped 3 quarts in because "that was all he had in garage" without ever checking to see how low it was. When it came in for repair, it was way overfilled. And, it sounds like its going to be a major repair and not going to be fixed under warranty. Boy will that be an expensive lesson!

·
Registered
335 Posts
@Dougkap, I've noticed that at my Honda dealer, they snap pics of the car when driving up to the service advisors. Any chance they did this with you? Also, let us know if you are able to get those marks off.
Just had my Durango to the dealer and they did the same, several pictures taken before service started, but this may only be dealer's that have been "burnt" on some claimed damage previously.

Modern antifreeze will not hurt modern two stage paint....

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm long winded so just hear me out...this BE was a district manager's "demo" prior to my purchase in February of last year. The Car Fax was clean as presented to me at the time of sale.

I work really bad hours so knew the back up bulbs were insufficient for my predawn parking in the mill's parking lot so I ordered super bright probably borderline illegal back up LED's. I'd say they're worth every penny but they weren't that expensive (after dropping $40 g's on a truck.) During installation I discovered the screws holding the taillights in were mismatched and while I reinstalled the passenger side light I saw the paint run along that bed seam. Odd, but maybe minor repair. Then, I was installing my WeatherTech flaps and the right rear wheel well moulding was missing some screws. Okay, maybe not so minor a repair. Keep in mind it's still a Western PA winter so it wasn't for a couple months until I came to the realization that the Honda rep was a scumbag. Overspray found in the rear door jamb, tape lines against the roof rack, and dirt in the paint below the passenger side mirror. I get it, I bought a preowned vehicle and all that, but the rep had it fixed without it showing as a Car Fax reportable. I later found out through my Honda Owner Portal that my BE had body work done at a dealer in Ohio at one point. (May be worth a road trip to find out how extensive those repairs are at some point in the near future.)

This all being said, I really have no confidence in the DM doing right by me. As I approached the gate this morning, I had an epiphany. I absolutely love my BE. I love the jokes in the mill about my "half-truck." I love responding with what mine does and their "whole trucks" can't. I just absolutely love this truck. Come Monday morning, after my 12 straight days of work, I'll break out my wheeled tote of detailing supplies and (crap, just checked the weather, maybe later in the week) get what I get. If it cleans up, great. If not, it's my penance for being a sucker until the 100,000 mile warranty expires. Either way, I get to drive one of the absolute most awesome vehicles I've ever owned.

On a side note, during my angry car washing, I actually injured myself. I use a long adjustable aluminum Gorilla work platform for the roof and I was moving it around like it was an empty milk crate. My bad body positioning lead to a very painful lower back strain and I've been walking like Quasimodo for the last couple days. The penance just keeps coming. Thank goodness for IPA's.
Yeah I hear all the jokes from my classic car pals about my "Japanese El Camino"...

Do NOT trust a CarFax report, damage or work done by a body shop and paid for in cash will most likely not show up. Even if that isn't the case there are gaps in reporting that make the documentation questionable, my daughter had two wrecks in her PT-Cruiser and the CarFax never showed the second one years later when she sold it.

As to overfilling oil - it can cause the oil to foam actually reducing lubrication with subsequent (and serious) damage.....

·
Registered
78 Posts
I feel like the concern for the customer has taken the back seat to the greed and apathy of my dealership operating under the Honda name and reputation. So I take my '19 BE (39K mi.) in for a B1 service, PA state inspection, and installation of a Honda hood protector. Obviously, it's a Honda, and I take meticulous care of it so needed nothing for the inspection sticker. The dealer calls me at work and informs me of this and goes on to let me know that the brake fluid needs changed as Honda recommends this be done every three years. Hey, they're my supposed link to all things Honda, so who am I to question the great and powerful dealer? I told them to do it for the $139 they quoted. Feeling good about myself as I'm keeping up on the Honda maintenance like I'm supposed to, right? I later consulted the owner's manual and found no mention of this Honda "recommendation." Seems like a simple case of opportunistic thieves preying on unsuspecting customers.

Well, my coworker gives me a lift to pick it up and I'm ticked as it looks like they didn't even do the hood protector. Upon second glance, it was there and you can't even tell. Bravo, Honda, for such impeccable design.

Anyway, get the truck home and check out my BE's new look up close and personal ( I did check it over prior to dropping it off there.) Cue up the tense musical soundtrack. The hood protector is all scuffed up, there are muddy boot prints in my door jamb, a scratch on the rear driver door at waist level near the front door, but worst of all, some type of opalescent splash marks all over the ENTIRE surface of my truck, literally front bumper to tailgate including all the glass. Needless to say I was incensed. Mind you that just a few weeks before I completely detailed the whole exterior over three days. Clay bar, light polish, wax, then sealant. I know my truck and these marks were not there prior to dropping it off. I grabbed my car wash supplies and went at it. Nothing. All that did was bring out the extent of the damage, oh, and it started raining, heavily. My wife pulled up and asked if I was ok. The look I gave her spoke volumes. Just picture an angry/crazed man washing a black truck during a rainstorm. She comes over to see what the matter is and even without her glasses can see the cause of my current state. When I'm done, I contact the dealer and leave a voice mail for my service advisor letting him know I'll be up the next day to discuss what I found.

PICS BELOW

The next day, I mentally prepare myself for the hand wringing and denial I'm sure to encounter during my upcoming dealer visit. Afer the sun comes up, I inspect other less maintained black vehicles in our employee parking lot to rule out environmental fallout from our plant, nothing. Then, en route to the blame game, I stop at a reputable body shop on the way to the dealer and he pointed out that some of the larger specks have a bit of rust in them so suspects a nearby grinder was in use. Possible, but still have to see what the local Presidential Award winning dealer has to say.

The service advisor comes out into the service lane to take a look. He then gets his boss. They look at it and, of course proclaim that it couldn't be their fault. The service advisor grabs a quick wax product and tries to rub it off, nope. Just made the black shinier but the mark's center is still there. He says I'll need to get a detailer to see if they can get it out. I told him I am about as good a detailer as you'll find but asked why should I be the one to correct their obvious negligence. Crickets. I wasn't a jerk, didn't raise my voice, and just sought a practical use of their resources as a remedy. Nothing. His "boss" was not the least bit helpful, either, offering that it's probably brake particles from a truck I was behind. I left knowing that they just don't care and are less knowledgeable in automotive things than I gave them credit for. It's disappointing that doing the right thing is no longer what this business does.

I'll re-detail it myself. I will once again clay bar it and use a heavier compound/polish before I wax and seal it. Lesson learned that regardless of the number of cars you buy (4) at a dealer and services you pay for through the years of ownership, it sometimes doesn't matter. I may reach out to the owner soon once my anger ebbs.

I get that it sounds like I'm whining, but I'm not. The nation complains that we no longer practice civil dialogue and everyone is always angry. I'm not about to forgo the former for the latter. I'll just fix it myself and drive to a nearby town and give another Honda dealer a try. Who knows, I may drive home in a white BE when I get my next oil change.

(Ignore the water spots resulting from the downpour while I was washing it. You can clearly see the dots and if you zoom in on them you can discern the rusty spots.) View attachment 430200
Driver's mirror

View attachment 430201
Hood
Makes me appreciate even more my Honda dealer in Colorado Springs, Mike Maroone Honda. Even though I live in Pueblo, I drive 40 miles to the Springs to avoid Vidmar Honda...damn near killed me once with a bad wheel bearing install!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
One of my daughters gets her CX-5 serviced at a Mazda dealer somewhere near DC. They send her video links of the work performed. I'm actually impressed by their attention to detail.
That is impressive service detail. Not until last month did I realize any dealers provide service videos & photos, when we got our RL emergency serviced at Lute Riley Honda dealership in Richardson (Dallas area) - I was in awe when they promptly sent me a link with 2 clear photos and a video, digital report of the work done, and checklist. So organized and professional, the best dealership service we've ever encountered in 20 years of driving Hondas. Too bad for us that they are located far away. Long story but they actually discovered and fixed the major screw-up (as evidenced in the video and photos) of the Houston dealership that had placed us at risk for death or serious injury.

·
Registered
2019 Ridgeline Black Edition
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Some of these replies to my original post make me feel petty with my spotted paint. I remember back in a business law course when we were taught that a business has a "duty" to its customers to keep them safe from harm. For a dealership that is providing "professional" service to potentially jeopardize the life of a customer through shoddy workmanship is blurring the line between negligence and criminal. Unfortunately, most, like myself, don't make waves and instead count on the integrity of those we interact with during our service visits. Are we doing ourselves and others in the community a disservice by remaining silent? Maybe management is unaware of a service technician's shortcomings because we don't complain. It is easy, albeit at times inconvenient, to take our business elsewhere, but what happens when there is no elsewhere?
Don't get me wrong, I am going to travel to the next county the next time a service reminder pops up, but I am also going to reach out to the ownership/upper management of my selling/servicing dealer. I can't expect them to improve if they are oblivious of the problem even existing. It's too late for me and my business there, but maybe it will help a customer with fewer options to have a safer and more enjoyable ownership experience.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,313 Posts
Some of these replies to my original post make me feel petty with my spotted paint. I remember back in a business law course when we were taught that a business has a "duty" to its customers to keep them safe from harm. For a dealership that is providing "professional" service to potentially jeopardize the life of a customer through shoddy workmanship is blurring the line between negligence and criminal. Unfortunately, most, like myself, don't make waves and instead count on the integrity of those we interact with during our service visits. Are we doing ourselves and others in the community a disservice by remaining silent? Maybe management is unaware of a service technician's shortcomings because we don't complain. It is easy, albeit at times inconvenient, to take our business elsewhere, but what happens when there is no elsewhere?
Don't get me wrong, I am going to travel to the next county the next time a service reminder pops up, but I am also going to reach out to the ownership/upper management of my selling/servicing dealer. I can't expect them to improve if they are oblivious of the problem even existing. It's too late for me and my business there, but maybe it will help a customer with fewer options to have a safer and more enjoyable ownership experience.
You'll always get a range of opinions when you post something like this. Some will sympathize, others consider it a waste of time. Just a part of the internet scene. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Wanted to follow up on my spotted BE. As I dug in with the clay bar I noticed that the majority of the dots had a speck of rust in the center. Initially, I feared the chemical had eaten through to the sheet metal beneath. However, the mirrors, bumpers, etc, don't have sheet metal so it had to be a highly aerosolized solvent being used to clean something within that shop.

I took a before and after of the roof so you all can see that I once again have a spot free BE.

Cloud Daytime Photograph Sky Water

Detailed cars for a living decades ago. Glad I retained those skills.
Daytime Motor vehicle Automotive lighting World White

Here it is after two days of clay barring (Chemical Guy's OG Bar and lube), compound, & polishing (Chemical Guy's VSS with orange foam pad on my ). Today will be another wash then applying a final paint protectant/sealant (Jet Seal with black foam pad). Check out that sleek hood protector, too. It's almost invisible.

Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle registration plate Wheel Vehicle

Thanks for all the comments and corrections.

·
Registered
335 Posts
My dealer in Clermont, FL, so far, has been excellent....they have floor to ceiling glass windows looking out into the service bay so customers can observe maintenance tasks as they progress. When I took my 2022 to them concerend about the TSB for the heater motor cover, they confirmed my VIN was a possible candidate for the issue and rolled it right in and did an inspection and confirmed the car was OK.... I've had other dealers (for different makes) try to avoid such inspections by stating, "....if you're not having problems we don't need to look at it"

·
Registered
335 Posts
That is a nice detailing job ... modern clear coat can absolve a lot of sins...
I had my Ford Ranger parked in a packed Wash DC parking lot one day and reutrned to find it covered (and I mean covered) in smearly, oily residue, the lot attendant told me a trash truck broke a hydraulic line close by ans sprayed down about a 1/2 dozen cars in the lot. None of the automatic car washes would let me roll through because the mess would ruin their "slappers". It was days of degreasing, and wash, rinsem repeat and then I had to do all the things described in your post to get it looking decent again.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,313 Posts
I admire the skills and dedication to have such a beautiful finish on your vehicle.

I am also glad that I am no longer a slave to keeping the car ****-and-span inside and out. That takes a lot of time and effort I prefer to direct elsewhere these days. :D

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well this was a special case to remove some unsightly spots, once you get a finish to a certain threshold, then routine detailing isn't so strenuous, a light clay bare and some carnuba was every 4-6 weeks and maybe a light buff every 6 months is all you need to do..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
My dealer in Clermont, FL, so far, has been excellent....they have floor to ceiling glass windows looking out into the service bay so customers can observe maintenance tasks as they progress. When I took my 2022 to them concerend about the TSB for the heater motor cover, they confirmed my VIN was a possible candidate for the issue and rolled it right in and did an inspection and confirmed the car was OK.... I've had other dealers (for different makes) try to avoid such inspections by stating, "....if you're not having problems we don't need to look at it"
As soon as I read about the floor to ceiling glass windows, it reminded me of my very first flight. We were all intently watching our plane being repaired through the airport's floor to ceiling windows.

I'm glad you found a customer-centric dealer, you're very fortunate. I certainly hope my next one is.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Excellent job. Truck looks like it never happened. You do some really sweet detailing with some fabulous skills. Impressive work.
Thanks. It took two days longer than it used to back in the day. I really enjoy doing it. It's like cutting grass, nobody bothers you because nobody wants to help, it's great.

I actually leveraged the work in to a life lesson for my adult son. I explained that that gleaming BE is proof that no job is really a dead end and that you can take many skills with you wherever you go and nobody can take them from you. I said sure I can buff like no other, but it's the attention to the details that makes the difference.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
That is a nice detailing job ... modern clear coat can absolve a lot of sins...
I had my Ford Ranger parked in a packed Wash DC parking lot one day and reutrned to find it covered (and I mean covered) in smearly, oily residue, the lot attendant told me a trash truck broke a hydraulic line close by ans sprayed down about a 1/2 dozen cars in the lot. None of the automatic car washes would let me roll through because the mess would ruin their "slappers". It was days of degreasing, and wash, rinsem repeat and then I had to do all the things described in your post to get it looking decent again.
[/QUOTE

That is so not cool. However, had you gone through those automatic car washes as many times as needed to get the hydraulic fluid off your truck, you would've had to detail anyway. They are typically unfriendly to nice paint finishes.

I find that I appreciate my vehicle so much more after putting in the work to make it gleam.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I admire the skills and dedication to have such a beautiful finish on your vehicle.

I am also glad that I am no longer a slave to keeping the car ****-and-span inside and out. That takes a lot of time and effort I prefer to direct elsewhere these days. :D
Thanks, I enjoy it. Sadly, it didn't look much different when I dropped it off at the dealer at the beginning of all this. I'm an idiot with a black BE who works in a steel mill so I have to keep the finish as protected as I can at all times.

The dedication in this instance is a bit overstated. My wife recently commented on how she so enjoys the ride of my RL. Later she announced she and my oldest daughter are going to Miami to visit our middle daughter. My oldest daughter won't fly so...she asked if she could take my truck. Ok, it wasn't really an ask, more like letting me know what she's doing.

Unknown chemical stain in Miami sun lit a fire to get this done, now. As I was wrapping up the exterior, she pointed out that the interior needs a little attention. Enough said. She's leaving the day after tomorrow.

She mentioned that her Outback could use a detail while she's gone.

Don't worry, I'll be directing sufficient time and effort elsewhere, too.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts