Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a traveling sales rep, carrying a lot of samples. I thought this truck would be ideal, trunk in the bed, navigation system, folding rear seat. I purchased the tonneau cover believing from what two different dealers told me, that the bed would be waterproof. Talk about getting fooled. Now I have a great problem because I cannot risk my livelyhood by allowing my samples to get destroyed.
I did a water test the second day I had the Ridge. I immediately went back to the dealer. The GM told me he would roll back the deal. I asked if I could sleep on it. I went back the next day and he told me it was too late, that he sold my trade-in vehicle the previous night. I then found my vehicle parked across the street hidden in a parking lot of a chocolate factory/store. He claimed it was still too late, that they already did the paperwork etc with the wholesaler . . .
Now I have a situation on my hands. I have a truck with a leaking tonneau cover and I need a solution to my problem ASAP. Can anyone think of anything or have a fix??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately not. They are samples of medical scrubs, prints, solids etc that are on hangers clamped together by a pin and put in garment bags. I have appoximately 300 pc's. I have to take them this way so they can be place on a collapsable garment rack which I also have to travel with. The garment bags are nylon, but will not totally protect the garments.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Molen,

There are some other bed covers out there. I am not sure that they are waterproof either. I saw postings, I think, on the Edmunds.com Ridgeline site. Let me go take a look over there and see if I can find them.

Smoky

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Smoky. I do appreciate your help. I will check them out.

·
Registered
534 Posts
My BIL is the service manager for our Honda dealer and he informed me that the tonneau covers are NOT waterproof, they are not supposed to be sold as a waterproof cover.

That said, that is terrible of the dealer! Can you call anyone higher up to complain about his lies??

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
A cap is another option, probably the best option for you. ARE and Leer are the vendors. They are waterproof.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I know you want your tonneau fixed, but in the meantime...

... a rod across in the back seat to hang them all on? Probably already thought of that. Maybe not enough space for 300??

... another short term solution might be those big ziplock or otherwise closeable bags you see advertised for vacuum packing your bedding etc. for storage.

Were you intending to just lay them in the bed, I mean when you thought it would be dry?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Just place anything thin and hard across the bottom of the bed. The OEM cover leaks in the front corners and at the hinge. The water should flow underneath through the trough. Home depot has cheap plastic tiles that snap together (12"squares). I would think laying them across the bed would help. Also, you could use some silicone in the front corners. As far as the hinge, it is a sponge foam like material so I don't know what you could do for that.

·
Registered
186 Posts
shovelhd said:
A cap is another option, probably the best option for you. ARE and Leer are the vendors. They are waterproof.
Here are pictures of the A.R.E. and Leer caps. I had an A.R.E. cap on my Ford Ranger, and it had options for pop-down hangers in the roof..... I had three installed and could easily carry 30+ items just on those three. Your visibility is limited when you use the hangers. However, for water-tightness, you can't beat one of these caps..... Personally, I like the way the Leer looks better than the A.R.E.; however, the consensus I've heard (mostly from outside ROC) is that the A.R.E. is much better made.

For Tonneau Covers, check out the BasicKoncepts...... they are about as waterproof as you can get. Also if you write them via their web-site form (www.basickoncepts.com) and ask "Brian" to give you a call..... he will do so. I just ordered this cover and had a couple of questions. Brian called me and we had a good discussion..... I feel good about his company.

Finally, I'd go back to the dealer and get my money back on the O.E.M. .... that is a very expensive option, and the least they can do is give you a refund!

Good Luck! Keep us posted!

A.R.E.
ARE-13.jpg

Leer:
LEER 8.jpg

BasicKoncepts:
Cover-basickoncepts_1.JPG

·
Registered
7 Posts
Molen Do You Want To Sell Your Oem Cover, If You Will Decide To Go With Aftermarket. I Don't Care About Waterproofing. E-mail Me.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
A couple of thoughts for you molen:
1) The cap idea sounds like a good one to me. You could sell your tonneau cover on Ebay or privately if you could not get your dealer to help you out.
2) If you found the right person, I don't see why your cover could not be made to be nearly water tight by using caulking and weather strips. Water that did get in at the hinge could be diverted out of the bed by fabricating a plastic or aluminum gutter and downspout arrangement.
3) I have the Retrax cover and it is very close to being water tight without the use of caulking or additional weather strips. There is no hinge point so the bed itself stays dry. The very little bit of water that does get past the seals on the sides and at the front runs out of the tailgate (if there ever is enough quantity to 'run' ) via the seam where the side walls meet the bed floor. I use a piece of semi-rigid commercial rubber floor covering as a bed protector. If and when I am very aggressive with the hose when I wash the truck, that is when I see most of the water. It can't be much more than a few tablespoons. Before I adjusted the Retrax molding gaskets, I would sometimes get a little bit of water that would run in the valleys under the bed mat and out the tailgate. The point of all of that is, the top of the bed mat is always dry. Sometimes there is evidence of some water on the side panels. The Retrax can also be locked with the tailgate. It is also very easy to slide open and closed making it the easiest of all to get into. No, I don't work for Retrax, I just have one and I like it. It is the one that I know the most about. If you want to see a Retrax to find out if it is a viable solution for you, I suggest that you post a request on a new thread to see one on a members Ridgeline near you.
4) Thinking outside the box for a minute, what seems like a more elaborate solution may not actually be so difficult. If you could find someone that does fabrication work with aluminum tubing and sheet metal, you could have a custom rolling cabinet made that would fit your truck and also serve as a means of loading and unloading your product. Naturally if you had a cap instead of a tonneau cover the cabinet or cabinets could be physically larger. I can see the type of cabinet that musicians, bands, DJs, and theatre groups use as road cases for their equipment and wardrobes. They are usually fabricated in custom shops out of off the shelf (to them) materials. They are very sturdy and are meant to tolerate rough handling in all kinds of weather. With you being in Florida, I suspect that there are several companies nearby that could put some together for you. If you like that idea but strike out on where to get them, I have some contacts that could put us / you in touch with someone that could do the job.

I think that your problem is solvable. It may take a little creativity and some research, but it can be done.
Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hez said:
My BIL is the service manager for our Honda dealer and he informed me that the tonneau covers are NOT waterproof, they are not supposed to be sold as a waterproof cover.

That said, that is terrible of the dealer! Can you call anyone higher up to complain about his lies??
Thanks Hez, I did call Honda directly. They had a manager Rep get back to me. She informed me that because each dealership are individually owned & operated, I am at their mercy whether they want to help me or not.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
shovelhd said:
I think the cap is the way to go for me. Thank you for bringing these to my attention.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
farmguy said:
I know you want your tonneau fixed, but in the meantime...

... a rod across in the back seat to hang them all on? Probably already thought of that. Maybe not enough space for 300??

... another short term solution might be those big ziplock or otherwise closeable bags you see advertised for vacuum packing your bedding etc. for storage.

Were you intending to just lay them in the bed, I mean when you thought it would be dry?

Hey Farmguy,
Yeah, I picked up a tarp at home depot. I figured for the time being I roll the bags inside the tarp hoping that will keep them dry.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BassBud said:
Here are pictures of the A.R.E. and Leer caps. I had an A.R.E. cap on my Ford Ranger, and it had options for pop-down hangers in the roof..... I had three installed and could easily carry 30+ items just on those three. Your visibility is limited when you use the hangers. However, for water-tightness, you can't beat one of these caps..... Personally, I like the way the Leer looks better than the A.R.E.; however, the consensus I've heard (mostly from outside ROC) is that the A.R.E. is much better made.

For Tonneau Covers, check out the BasicKoncepts...... they are about as waterproof as you can get. Also if you write them via their web-site form (www.basickoncepts.com) and ask "Brian" to give you a call..... he will do so. I just ordered this cover and had a couple of questions. Brian called me and we had a good discussion..... I feel good about his company.

Finally, I'd go back to the dealer and get my money back on the O.E.M. .... that is a very expensive option, and the least they can do is give you a refund!

Good Luck! Keep us posted!

A.R.E.
View attachment 3706

Leer:
View attachment 3707

BasicKoncepts:
View attachment 3708
Thanks BassBud,
These pic's were extremely helpful. I was hoping to keep the Pickup look as opposed to an SUV, but at this point, waterproof is more important.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LIVE4RDO said:
Molen Do You Want To Sell Your Oem Cover, If You Will Decide To Go With Aftermarket. I Don't Care About Waterproofing. E-mail Me.
Hey LIVE4RDO,
The dealership claims they will work with me here on replacing the cover. At this point after all I been through, I don't trust them. If my suspicions are right, I will be more then happy to sell it to you. It looks like an aftermarket cap from ARE or Leer are my best options. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ultra-HOG said:
A couple of thoughts for you molen:
1) The cap idea sounds like a good one to me. You could sell your tonneau cover on Ebay or privately if you could not get your dealer to help you out.
2) If you found the right person, I don't see why your cover could not be made to be nearly water tight by using caulking and weather strips. Water that did get in at the hinge could be diverted out of the bed by fabricating a plastic or aluminum gutter and downspout arrangement.
3) I have the Retrax cover and it is very close to being water tight without the use of caulking or additional weather strips. There is no hinge point so the bed itself stays dry. The very little bit of water that does get past the seals on the sides and at the front runs out of the tailgate (if there ever is enough quantity to 'run' ) via the seam where the side walls meet the bed floor. I use a piece of semi-rigid commercial rubber floor covering as a bed protector. If and when I am very aggressive with the hose when I wash the truck, that is when I see most of the water. It can't be much more than a few tablespoons. Before I adjusted the Retrax molding gaskets, I would sometimes get a little bit of water that would run in the valleys under the bed mat and out the tailgate. The point of all of that is, the top of the bed mat is always dry. Sometimes there is evidence of some water on the side panels. The Retrax can also be locked with the tailgate. It is also very easy to slide open and closed making it the easiest of all to get into. No, I don't work for Retrax, I just have one and I like it. It is the one that I know the most about. If you want to see a Retrax to find out if it is a viable solution for you, I suggest that you post a request on a new thread to see one on a members Ridgeline near you.
4) Thinking outside the box for a minute, what seems like a more elaborate solution may not actually be so difficult. If you could find someone that does fabrication work with aluminum tubing and sheet metal, you could have a custom rolling cabinet made that would fit your truck and also serve as a means of loading and unloading your product. Naturally if you had a cap instead of a tonneau cover the cabinet or cabinets could be physically larger. I can see the type of cabinet that musicians, bands, DJs, and theatre groups use as road cases for their equipment and wardrobes. They are usually fabricated in custom shops out of off the shelf (to them) materials. They are very sturdy and are meant to tolerate rough handling in all kinds of weather. With you being in Florida, I suspect that there are several companies nearby that could put some together for you. If you like that idea but strike out on where to get them, I have some contacts that could put us / you in touch with someone that could do the job.

I think that your problem is solvable. It may take a little creativity and some research, but it can be done.
Good luck!
Hey Ultra-Hog,
Your ideas are well appreciated and I thank you for your time. The Retrax looks like a great idea, easily retractable and easy access. I have to give this all some thought to decide whether to go with this or the cap. Thanks again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I want to thank all of you for your suggestions and advice. I just discovered this website earlier today and immediately sign on as one of your new members. You all gave me great ideas and a lot to think about. This is a great site and I'm happy to be part of the "ridgelineownersclub". Thank you all.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts