Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The annoying, triplicate yellow low fuel notifications on my 2017 RTL-E always illuminate when then range gets down to 39 miles. Never 40. Never 38. Always 39. I can then quench one of the yellow lights, but not the other two. If I subsequentally add a few gallons, it is not enough fuel to cause the lights to extinguish. Does anyone know the minimum threshhold of fuel refill required in order to quench the lights? Apologies to the Canadian owners that utilize metric. Which leads to another few questions: Is gas there sold by the litre or gallon? How are Canadian gallons different than US gallons?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I think there is a fuel pump in the tank. By constantly running the fuel at such a low level, you are depriving the pump of the fuel which cools it while running. You may consider running with more fuel in your tank or you will risk a short life for the pump.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Not answering your low fuel light questions, but yes, fuel is sold by the litre in Canada. One imperial gallon (Canadian) is 160 ounces or 4.54 litres or four 40 ounce quarts or 1.2 U.S gallons. One U.S. gallon is 128 ounces or four 32 ounce quarts or 3.79 litres or .83 imperial gallons. Technically an imperial ounce is larger than a U.S. ounce, but it is negligible so this rounding is generally acceptable

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 2019 RTL lighted the fuel pump sign when remaining range was 37 miles. I would feel more confident if it alarms earlier at 50 ~ 60 miles. In my 18 months' ownership, it was the only time to drain gas tank that low, mainly to test whether the alarm worked. Usually I would fill tank at 1/4 full.

·
Registered
852 Posts
HMMMMMMMMMMMMM, you know, contemplating about this, we were trained early on, (forty some years ago now), not to depend on the fuel gauge to be accurate and to refuel before the needle gets to low, consequently, we have yet to experience the low fuel warning nanny system in our Ridgeline? (Along with this habit, we also fill the tank completely?) Now that you have peaked my curiosity, here in the near future we may have to let the fuel level drop into that range just so we can gain this experience? We'll share our results if we decide to try this.

Bill

·
Registered
136 Posts
OP's question made me curious, so since I was low on fuel, I decided to do an experiment. I drove the truck until the low fuel warning came on, which was ostensibly at 37 miles range, but closer to 36.5. I then headed to the nearest gas station, about a mile away. I turned off the engine, pumped in 1 gallon of gas, then turned the ignition on (not starting the engine) to see if the alarm was disabled, then turned the ignition off. Rinse and repeat. I did it this way to bypass the long time constant used as an anti-sloshing feature. The result was that it took 3 gallons to reset the warning. Bear in mind that 1) this is a single data point on a truck with a lower trigger point than OP's, and 2) the value is only accurate to the nearest gallon, the real value may be 2.x gallons. Anyway, hope this helps.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not answering your low fuel light questions, but yes, fuel is sold by the litre in Canada. One imperial gallon (Canadian) is 160 ounces or 4.54 litres or four 40 ounce quarts or 1.2 U.S gallons. One U.S. gallon is 128 ounces or four 32 ounce quarts or 3.79 litres or .83 imperial gallons. Technically an imperial ounce is larger than a U.S. ounce, but it is negligible so this rounding is generally acceptable
Just to make sure I follow your conversion, if I purchased 37.9 litres of gas in Canada, that would equal 10 US gallons, correct?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think there is a fuel pump in the tank. By constantly running the fuel at such a low level, you are depriving the pump of the fuel which cools it while running. You may consider running with more fuel in your tank or you will risk a short life for the pump.
My goal is to fill-up once a week so I can use fuel points at a Kroger gas station to give me a discount. Most weeks, my low fuel warning coincides with being close to a Kroger and I will fill-up. Occasionally, I get the low fuel warning but I am a good distance away, so I only buy a few gallons and have to pay retail price - so I purchase just enough to make it to Kroger and get a good discount. It's a great feeling when we have enough fuel points to pay less than a penny a gallon for gas, but most times it is like a 50 cent / gallon discount.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I ran my 2019 RTL-E down to 1 mile of range last week. Filled the tank and it took 17.9 gallons. So does that mean that there is still another 1.5 gallon in reserve? I don't want to test the theory but it seems that you could go another 20-30 miles if needed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think posted above, it may not be good to run it that low due to cooling for the fuel pump.

I researched a lot for the Tundra a while back and same for them. 38 gallon fuel tank doesn't equate to 38 gallons of available gas as some of the newer owners were finding out.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My 2019 RTL lighted the fuel pump sign when remaining range was 37 miles. I would feel more confident if it alarms earlier at 50 ~ 60 miles. In my 18 months' ownership, it was the only time to drain gas tank that low, mainly to test whether the alarm worked. Usually I would fill tank at 1/4 full.
Funny, where I live the light range is irrelevant, there's a gas station on every corner... The only question is "Can I make it to the cheap station?"

Just to make sure I follow your conversion, if I purchased 37.9 litres of gas in Canada, that would equal 10 US gallons, correct?
Here in America, EVERY BIG BOTTLE of soda pop, that takes up and entire aisle in the grocery store, for decades, is a Liter Bottle... How can you NOT KNOW a Liter is just over a quart? Do you know how many Quarts are in a Gallon? What happened to education? Does your computer NOT have a conversion Calculator?!? Canadians must be laughing their azzes off at us...

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,887 Posts
I really think this is more urban legend than reality. I often run all my vehicles until the light comes on, and then some before filling up with gas. I don't have a single vehicle (out of 5) that are under 120k miles... except my RIdge with 119k+ on it. Whatever fuel remaining in the tank should be sufficient for fuel pump cooling purposes.

I think the most I've ever put in my Ridge is 24.031 gallons. I've put over 23 gallons in it multiple times. Yes, I know it has a 22.01 gallon tank. That was back in the day when I was running a mpg test and was consistently filling it to the brim. I don't do that anymore. But for the G1 Ridge, I figure I have about 4.0 gallons remaining when I get the LF light.. and will often drive another 30 to 50+ miles before gassing up. So I often get pretty deep into the light before getting gas.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I've regularly on cars driven them below the "0" miles to empty mark. Yes, they put a reserve in there so "just in case steve decides to push it below 0" lol

Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
I really hesitate to respond to this thread but it is like Ron White says: "I had the right to remain to main silent but not the ability." I have always taught my children and grandchildren that, under normal circumstances, if your gas gauge is at 50%, you need to fill up. On the road, on a trip, maybe a little less, but that is the exception. In my opinion, you allow the low fuel light to before you refuel, you are a fool. I am beginning to question the common sense of the folks on this forum

·
Registered
42 Posts
In my opinion, you allow the low fuel light to before you refuel, you are a fool. I am beginning to question the common sense of the folks on this forum
Then you must think I'm a complete idiot... in college, I drove my car for almost a year without ANY gauges. In my infinite wisdom, I decided my 1976 Camaro (still under warranty) needed a leather covered dash. I yanked out the whole dash, stashed it in a corner of my apartment and didn't get it back together until I had to move. (I was afraid I'd lose some pieces in a move. I was also afraid that I might have forgotten how to put it back together... no phone pictures or utube back then!) I ran out of gas just once (in Houston rush-hour traffic).

And while the dash was out, I got pulled over by a Texas DPS officer on a 2 am run from Houston back to college. That stop, and the aftermath, is a whole other story!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
HMMMMMMMMMMMMM, you know, contemplating about this, we were trained early on, (forty some years ago now), not to depend on the fuel gauge to be accurate and to refuel before the needle gets to low,
Bill
Up here in 40 below country we're trained to not let the fuel drop below 1/2 tank to prevent condensation in the tank

My Windows calculator/converter says 10 US gallons is 37.85 litres

Funny, where I live the light range is irrelevant, there's a gas station on every corner... The only question is "Can I make it to the cheap station?"
Around here, with all the safety and environmental rules most of the gas stations have shut down. On one main strip about six mile long there used to be 16 stations. Now there is three.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts