Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last night i pulled into a parking lot and sat there listening to music with the engine running for a while waiting for a friend to run into the store. When my friend came out and got into the truck i put it into reverse and i couldn't go anywhere! So I turned off the music and realized my engine had died while sitting there... I just hit the button and started it back up and it ran fine but i'm concerned.

Info:
- RTL-T
- ~9000 miles
- Had music on, passenger heated seat was on high, seemed to be idling just above 500 rpm.
- AEM Cold Air Intake installed
- VCM Muzzler II Installed
- Checked the oil level and its perfect right between the lines.

I have had NO errors show up on the dash.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Any ideas what would cause this?

Should i take it into the dealership?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just had it act up again tonight, didnt die completely but i was stopped at a red light for a while and it dropped to very low RPM and when i accelerated it hesitated at first.

Does a Cold Air Intake typically cause low idles? I did not have this problem for months with the VCMuzzler II installed so i'm ruling that out.

I checked the vacuum tube, and the hose clamps all seem to be tight so there's no leaks.

I'm going to drive it over the weekend and see if the computer will correct itself automatically

If its still acting up by sunday im going to put the stock intake back on and see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
sorry to hear that bro !! :surprise::frown:

nothing unusual at my end...in hot or cold weather ! ( been having -5 degrees Celcius in the mornings ):|

have you tried unhooking the battery terminal (positive) and then reattached it after a few minutes ?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
have you tried unhooking the battery terminal (positive) and then reattached it after a few minutes ?
Do you think that might reset the computer to recalculate the mixture?

Now that you say that I did NOT disconnect the battery when I installed the intake so maybe this will clear out the trip log files?

Thanks for the suggestion, had not thought of this.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Do you think that might reset the computer to recalculate the mixture?

Now that you say that I did NOT disconnect the battery when I installed the intake so maybe this will clear out the trip log files?

Thanks for the suggestion, had not thought of this.
Wow dude.. Can't believe you didn't disconnect the battery when installing the intake (or any electronics).

Consider yourself lucky things didn't explode or worse.

Let us know if disconnecting the battery solve the idling issue... I believe it should.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:act010:

:act063:

:act060:

Ok hopefully nothing is damaged after all this time.. now im worried, i can't do this till i get home from work but i will report back with results.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After disconnecting battery for about 15 min and reconnecting it i have ran it for a couple days now, the problem is still there. Very low idle after its warmed up and the RPM's tend to "bounce" when it gets too low and you can feel the engine rev up to pull itself out of it so it doesn't die...

Anyone else have a recommendation? I really don't want to take it into the stealership...

·
Registered
128 Posts
did you try putting the stock filter back in?

Reactions: jeric106

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
What kind of intake? Could be over oiled, vac leak. Unless you were undoing a bunch of sensors or grounds or etc undoing the battery would have done nothing.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Well then my only recommendation is put the OEM back on and go from there. That would be step one in trouble shooting.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK filled my tank with gas a few days ago and the problem seems to have mostly gone away.. theres still some odd movement when idle on the rpm gauge but hasn't died or dropped way low since my last fill up.

So maybe this was all caused by bad gas.. Has anyone experienced bad gas before, does this sound like a possibility?

regardless its gotten better so im going to just keep an eye on it for now.

Maybe i will run it out of gas tomorrow then put fill up some premium Shell gas through it next and see if that helps clean out the bad..

·
Registered
94 Posts
I like Cold Air Intakes! I put one on my new Ford F-150 and immediately began getting "Check Engine" light. I repeatedly did the "Computer Reset" by disconnecting the battery which also cleared the light. After contacting K&N I found, because of the "computerization" of the engine, the intake manifold was not compatible with the engine intake system. It took K&N about a year to redesign the intake "tube" which did eventually work. With the Ridgeline engine and its computerization, I would really be hesitant to attempt to install a cold air intake on the beast... Will be watching this post.

·
Registered
132 Posts
OK filled my tank with gas a few days ago and the problem seems to have mostly gone away.. theres still some odd movement when idle on the rpm gauge but hasn't died or dropped way low since my last fill up.

So maybe this was all caused by bad gas.. Has anyone experienced bad gas before, does this sound like a possibility?

regardless its gotten better so im going to just keep an eye on it for now.

Maybe i will run it out of gas tomorrow then put fill up some premium Shell gas through it next and see if that helps clean out the bad..
Bad gas could be the culprit. If there is excess moisture, the spark plug will have a hard time igniting the mixture.
I would assume you would get a check engine light for misfires though.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Take a look at the MAF (mass airflow sensor)

All it takes is a tiny but of dust or lint to skew its readings. Makes sense as an intake has been put on the truck.

On a stock truck at least, you can just lift the airbox lid and see it.

Using compressed air, gently clean it. Can of compressed air used for computers is perfect.

Let me know if you need pics for guidance.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay i am going to clean the air sensor, I have not done that yet.. I recall it setting on a rag for a while before i put ti back in when i did install, so theres most likely some dust particles and maybe fibers that are on the sensor.

Just firing up the air compressor and blowing it off with air is sufficient? Should i buy some MAF Spray cleaner or that not necessary?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Take a look at the MAF (mass airflow sensor)

All it takes is a tiny but of dust or lint to skew its readings. Makes sense as an intake has been put on the truck.

On a stock truck at least, you can just lift the airbox lid and see it.

Using compressed air, gently clean it. Can of compressed air used for computers is perfect.

Let me know if you need pics for guidance.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!

This solved my problems!!

It idles perfectly, it even sounds different! Took it for a good ride and it shifts better and even feels like it has more power now.. unbelievable! :act035:

This made my weekend, ive been bummed and worried about it lately now she runs like a champ.. Thank you so much for that suggestion.

How did you know?

:grin:

·
Registered
835 Posts
THANK YOU SO MUCH!

This solved my problems!!

It idles perfectly, it even sounds different! Took it for a good ride and it shifts better and even feels like it has more power now.. unbelievable! :act035:

This made my weekend, ive been bummed and worried about it lately now she runs like a champ.. Thank you so much for that suggestion.

How did you know?

:grin:
OK... this from an old timer.

First of all, why would you modify a vehicle that is under factory warranty? Are you expecting to gain something that the engineers haven't already thought about?

The limits have already been set. Cold air intakes/dual exhaust/tuning, etc., do not apply to a NEW Honda vehicle (or any vehicle under factory warranty).

I am not trying to call you out. I am not trying to call anyone else out who wants to experiment with the parameters set by the companies that build vehicles. I am saying that, while these vehicles are under warranty, they should be kept original.

There are many "shows" on TV that talk about tuning/rebuilding/maximizing horsepower etc., but don't get sucked in by this as it applies to a NEW vehicle.

You have seen the results of messing with the parameters that the computer in your truck controls and understands. Leave it alone.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts