Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took delivery of a new, 2019 Ridgeline (AWD) RTL-E. The vehicle has just over 1,000 miles on it and has developed a low level (at this point) front suspension rattle that sounds like it could be strut related. It' not noticeable on the highway (better roads / higher speeds), but is certainly noticeable at lower speeds on local, average condition roads.

Surprisingly (at least to me; after all, this is a brand new Honda vehicle!), I do see quite a few threads on front suspension noises posted in this forum, which is very concerning!

Anyone else have 2019 a experiencing this issue? Any Honda tech's out there aware of a an existing TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) from Honda (possibly covering 17's & 18"s as well) on this concern?

Thanks!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes I have the exact same with my 19 rtle, dealership hasn’t been able to figure it out on a few occasions trying. Not exactly sure what’s going on with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I have the exact same with my 19 rtle, dealership hasn’t been able to figure it out on a few occasions trying. Not exactly sure what’s going on with it.
First, just a clarification on my initial description of the issue as a rattle. While I have heard the sound repeating itself 2 or 3 times in a short time duration (it is definitely not heard in rapid succession), mostly I hear it as a single low level knock sound that suggests a front suspension component is loose and shifting or a component (e.g., a strut-shock absorber / top mount) is defective.

It's good to know that I have company as I believe there's a better chance that Honda will take it seriously when an issue apparently affects more than one owner! I've not been to my dealer yet, but will follow-up once I do.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
First, just a clarification on my initial description of the issue as a rattle. While I have heard the sound repeating itself 2 or 3 times in a short time duration (it is definitely not heard in rapid succession), mostly I hear it as a single low level knock sound that suggests a front suspension component is loose and shifting or a component (e.g., a strut-shock absorber / top mount) is defective.

It's good to know that I have company as I believe there's a better chance that Honda will take it seriously when an issue apparently affects more than one owner! I've not been to my dealer yet, but will follow-up once I do.

Thanks for your input!
There have been several causes of front suspension noise with the most popular being the front strut bearing/mount. Also, the front brake pads can shift in the caliper mount, but that usually only occurs when going from reverse to forward and then usually only once.

https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/185-2g-problems-fixes-tsb-s/153921-rolling-pop-front-suspension-noises.html?153921=#post2280985

·
Registered
107 Posts
Iv previously had a 17 rtle before my 19, the 17 didn’t have this strange rattle, it’s so random I cannot figure out any rationale time to reproduce it unfortunately, maybe Honda will figure this out. I was hoping if it’s something really wrong over time it will get more constant.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited by Moderator)
There have been several causes of front suspension noise with the most popular being the front strut bearing/mount. Also, the front brake pads can shift in the caliper mount, but that usually only occurs when going from reverse to forward and then usually only once.

https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/185-2g-problems-fixes-tsb-s/153921-rolling-pop-front-suspension-noises.html?153921=#post2280985
I don't think it's related to brake components as it does not seem to be affected by braking (but would never rule it out completely). I looked at the thread link that you included and it would appear that this also afflicts 17 & 18's. Hopefully that means a fix is coming. It's very disconcerting that Honda would seemingly allow something like this to continue from year to year without addressing it. From experience with other vehicles, my money's on the front strut bearing/mount being the cause.

Thanks!

Iv previously had a 17 rtle before my 19, the 17 didn’t have this strange rattle, it’s so random I cannot figure out any rationale time to reproduce it unfortunately, maybe Honda will figure this out. I was hoping if it’s something really wrong over time it will get more constant.
Good point, certainly if "constant," the exact cause should be easier to diagnose.

Stay tuned....

·
Registered
544 Posts
Mine cracks it's knuckles changing directions (forward/reverse). I've went under & checked for loose sway bar mounts, & etc. Nothing looked amiss. There are more linkages than I'm familiar with so I'm guessing it's coming from there. I'm getting more used to it now.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Mine cracks it's knuckles changing directions (forward/reverse). I've went under & checked for loose sway bar mounts, & etc. Nothing looked amiss. There are more linkages than I'm familiar with so I'm guessing it's coming from there. I'm getting more used to it now.
My 17 RTL-E does the same thing but my Integra did the same thing all the time, I believe its just a strut thing.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had a similar issue with a sporadic low level clunk sound.

Beat my brains out trying to locate this thing. It ended up being a small round rubber flashlight I had stored in the lower drivers side door storage pocket. Drove me nuts for better part of a week.

I hope you find yous as well.

God Bless

·
Registered
390 Posts

Thanks for your input!
Sounds similar to my 2017BE. I've been to the dealer twice about it. The first time the tech heard the noise but didn't have time to investigate. When I returned to have the work done the second tech heard 'nothing'. Interesting I heard/felt the twang when I pulled out fo the dealer parking lot.

Luckily for my I have a voicemail from the dealership confirming the first tech heard the noise... It's just a matter of time before another tech at the dealership hears the noise so my $50K truck can be fixed properly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just had this issue fixed on my 19 RL EX-L. 2800km. Dealer replaced strut under warranty. At about 1400km, while going over any sharp bumps ( raised cracks in road or sunken manhole covers for example) you would hear a knocking sound.

Hope this helps

Mike

·
Registered
51 Posts
The front left and right link assemblies are being replaced on mine with a similar described noise at low speeds over bumps. Should get it back tomorrow. I just got a used 2017 two weeks ago and didn't notice the noise on the test drive. It's a warranty fix still, but annoying a certified vehicle had an issue two weeks later.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven't noticed the rattle noise since the end of the warm weather season last year. Vehicle now has over 14K on it, so maybe things have "settled in," though I should turn off the radio and see if it's still there just to be sure. I want to add that I've concluded it was / is coming from movement in upper strut tower(s), stabilizer bar linkage or possibly lower control arm(s), so really not worried and frankly, no longer willing to have vehicle torn apart on a wild goose chase. I'm familiar with a brake caliper moving "click" and do not believe this was what I was hearing. Stay tuned for a follow-up!

·
Registered
390 Posts
My suspension twank/thunk/clunk sound/feeling has returned.

This is the only thing about my RL that drives me nuts. Unfortunately the Honda techs are no longer mechanics but parts replacers. It is too bad the grease monkeys can't diagnose the source of an obvious stut problem. Frustrating as hell. I hate incompetence!

Anyway it makes an otherwise brilliant vehicle feel like a mid-90's Lada.

Honda should be ashamed of it's 'mechanics at least at my dealership. :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If it is / was a strut noise issue, then likely really no worries that vehicle has a serious problem (just an annoyance after having spent nearly $40K!); and short of a TSB or recall (usually resulting in an improved part), the parts we get may not correct the issue. The automotive industry, not to mention (as we all know), the world, has changed dramatically; unfortunately, good technicians, even "factory trained" at franchised dealerships, are less and less a certainty because of the increasing costs to the dealer pressured to sell the vehicle at "cost" while also having to train a tech who then often leaves and takes that knowledge elsewhere. The situation is made even worse by the ever shrinking pool of new mechanics (oops, technicians) interested in the automotive technical field. We're all in trouble!

·
Registered
51 Posts
The front left and right link assemblies are being replaced on mine with a similar described noise at low speeds over bumps. Should get it back tomorrow. I just got a used 2017 two weeks ago and didn't notice the noise on the test drive. It's a warranty fix still, but annoying a certified vehicle had an issue two weeks later.
Fix took a little longer than anticipated. Apparently the truck has the Jsport 1.5" lift kit on it (the vehicle was driven by the dealership's manager and I bought it certified pre-owned) which I didn't know about when I bought it. So, they ordered the incorrect parts at first. Following replacement of the front left ball joint (did whole arm assembly) and sway bar end links and a new alignment, the sound is gone.

A little annoyed this was a "certified pre-owned vehicle" yet the front ball joint on the driver's side was blown out, etc, but at least they took care of it all for no charge. Didn't hear the noise during the test drive which is on me, but it was rather subtle and could really only be heard with the radio off. Glad it is fixed!

Not sure if this helps:

End links parts: JSRLP005 (Jsport)
Front left lower arm: 51360-T6Z-A00

·
Super Moderator
12,794 Posts
Apparently the truck has the Jsport 1.5" lift kit on it (the vehicle was driven by the dealership's manager and I bought it certified pre-owned)...
Ah, so it had the snot beat out of it before you bought it. :)

From the Honda CPO inspection checklist:

"After-market Accessories (Inspect vehicle for any after-market components)
VEHICLES WITH AFTER-MARKET ITEMS ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR CERTIFICATION"

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ah, so it had the snot beat out of it before you bought it. :)

From the Honda CPO inspection checklist:

"After-market Accessories (Inspect vehicle for any after-market components)
VEHICLES WITH AFTER-MARKET ITEMS ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR CERTIFICATION"

View attachment 395487
Yeah, I think the JSport stuff is an exception since it can only be dealer installed and they work with Honda, but yeah, I didn't pay anything out of pocket lol. The service department confirmed it is all covered by the Honda Warranty, but I am reaching out to the GM to get something in writing. Loving the truck though!

·
Super Moderator
12,794 Posts
Honda has used JSport products on concept vehicles, but they do not sell or guarantee JSport products products on production vehicles. Some independently-owned Honda dealers do, though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts