Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently took delivery of a new, 2019 Ridgeline (AWD) RTL-E. The vehicle has just over 1,000 miles on it and has developed a low level (at this point) front suspension rattle that sounds like it could be strut related. It' not noticeable on the highway (better roads / higher speeds), but is certainly noticeable at lower speeds on local, average condition roads.

Surprisingly (at least to me; after all, this is a brand new Honda vehicle!), I do see quite a few threads on front suspension noises posted in this forum, which is very concerning!

Anyone else have 2019 a experiencing this issue? Any Honda tech's out there aware of a an existing TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) from Honda (possibly covering 17's & 18"s as well) on this concern?

Thanks!
My new 2019 Ridgeline started making metal-on-metal rattling noise when I would go over a crack or seam in road at residential road speeds, but oddly, only when weather was rainy or truck had been out in rain. Made no sense to me that water contact under vehicle should make any difference in cause of noise, but that's the only time I ever heard it. First noticed it at about 1,500 kms on the truck. Recently, at 9,000 kms, I am pretty sure I have heard it in dry conditions, too. Honda technician drove it once with me in front seat, but it was a nice, dry day, so I knew we were wasting our time 'cause he wasn't going to hear anything. Dreading having to go back and hear them say it's all good: it's not. They'll just have to keep it till they hear the noise, and give me a loaner till it's fixed under their warranty. Disappointing, though. Older cars have enough problems, you don't deserve to have them on a brand new vehicle.

·
Registered
426 Posts
After having both the left front strut and lower control arm replaced the dealer found the issue... A broken rear motor mount on my'17 RL.

No one at the dealer suspected a failure like this with low miles.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mine cracks it's knuckles changing directions (forward/reverse). I've went under & checked for loose sway bar mounts, & etc. Nothing looked amiss. There

My 17 RTL-E does the same thing but my Integra did the same thing all the time, I believe its just a strut thing.
^^^^^^^^^^sounds like the classic brake pad movement (click) in the caliper with direction change and first brake application. Known “issue” very repeatable and “normal” noise.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Don't get sucked into the brake caliper nonsense. It took two years to resolve the real issue with my truck but it has now been fixed properly.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I lived with a rattle in the front-end of our Nissan NV200 van for a year or two, which included unsuccessful dealer checks, and I found one day that it was simply the hood rattling. Turned-out a bumper a thread or two and it was fixed.

o_O

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently took delivery of a new, 2019 Ridgeline (AWD) RTL-E. The vehicle has just over 1,000 miles on it and has developed a low level (at this point) front suspension rattle that sounds like it could be strut related. It' not noticeable on the highway (better roads / higher speeds), but is certainly noticeable at lower speeds on local, average condition roads.

Surprisingly (at least to me; after all, this is a brand new Honda vehicle!), I do see quite a few threads on front suspension noises posted in this forum, which is very concerning!

Anyone else have 2019 a experiencing this issue? Any Honda tech's out there aware of a an existing TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) from Honda (possibly covering 17's & 18"s as well) on this concern?

Thanks!
I just took delivery of a 2020 RTL-E. Brand new off the lot yesterday. It's great over normal roads but any little bump in the road I get the nose you describe. Any news on how to correct this? Seems like a design flaw.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I just took delivery of a 2020 RTL-E. Brand new off the lot yesterday. It's great over normal roads but any little bump in the road I get the nose you describe. Any news on how to correct this? Seems like a design flaw.
Vehicle now has over 20k miles on it and I don't notice it anymore, which doesn't mean it's not there, just that I've either adjusted to it and / or turned up the radio! I also believe it was seasonal (in my case, vehicle purchased in August and more noticeable in the warmer months), which may be another reason why I'm not hearing it now (in Northeast). Lastly, I have some experience in auto industry and did not want the vehicle taken apart on a while goose chase under warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the posts, this is a great forum. Today I went out and took my 2020 Ridgeline over lots of bumps and the rattle went away! Today was a dry day and I had it in the garage overnight. I heard others talk about the "rattle over bumps" problem happening during/after driving in rain. When it was rattling yesterday it was raining so I would have been driving it over wet roads. Hmmm...

·
Registered
5 Posts

Thanks!
My new 2019 Ridgeline started making metal-on-metal rattling noise when I would go over a crack or seam in road at residential road speeds, but oddly, only when weather was rainy or truck had been out in rain. Made no sense to me that water contact under vehicle should make any difference in cause of noise, but that's the only time I ever heard it. First noticed it at about 1,500 kms on the truck. Recently, at 9,000 kms, I am pretty sure I have heard it in dry conditions, too. Honda technician drove it once with me in front seat, but it was a nice, dry day, so I knew we were wasting our time 'cause he wasn't going to hear anything. Dreading having to go back and hear them say it's all good: it's not. They'll just have to keep it till they hear the noise, and give me a loaner till it's fixed under their warranty. Disappointing, though. Older cars have enough problems, you don't deserve to have them on a brand new vehicle.
I took my car to the dealer yesterday and after checking the car for 2 days, they called American Honda and they are replacing the rack & pinion.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I took my car to the dealer yesterday and after checking the car for 2 days, they called American Honda and they are replacing the rack & pinion.
I would not want this done to my vehicle unless the dealer could show me actual movement at the rack believed to be causing the exact noise you are complaining about. The steering rack is an integral component of a vehicle, replacing it can create new problems / issues, especially if the technician is not experienced. Suggest, to the extent you can, assure yourself it's absolutely needed and the dealer is NOT just trying parts to satisfy a customer. Remember the old saying, "be careful what you ask for .."

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would not want this done to my vehicle unless the dealer could show me actual movement at the rack believed to be causing the exact noise you are complaining about. The steering rack is an integral component of a vehicle, replacing it can create new problems / issues, especially if the technician is not experienced. Suggest, to the extent you can, assure yourself it's absolutely needed and the dealer is NOT just trying parts to satisfy a customer. Remember the old saying, "be careful what you ask for .."
Thank you. Agreed, they did showed me yesterday.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts