Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Low level front suspension rattle w/ 2019

14K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  OG_Zuninja 
#1 ·
I recently took delivery of a new, 2019 Ridgeline (AWD) RTL-E. The vehicle has just over 1,000 miles on it and has developed a low level (at this point) front suspension rattle that sounds like it could be strut related. It' not noticeable on the highway (better roads / higher speeds), but is certainly noticeable at lower speeds on local, average condition roads.

Surprisingly (at least to me; after all, this is a brand new Honda vehicle!), I do see quite a few threads on front suspension noises posted in this forum, which is very concerning!

Anyone else have 2019 a experiencing this issue? Any Honda tech's out there aware of a an existing TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) from Honda (possibly covering 17's & 18"s as well) on this concern?

Thanks!

#3 ·
First, just a clarification on my initial description of the issue as a rattle. While I have heard the sound repeating itself 2 or 3 times in a short time duration (it is definitely not heard in rapid succession), mostly I hear it as a single low level knock sound that suggests a front suspension component is loose and shifting or a component (e.g., a strut-shock absorber / top mount) is defective.

It's good to know that I have company as I believe there's a better chance that Honda will take it seriously when an issue apparently affects more than one owner! I've not been to my dealer yet, but will follow-up once I do.

Thanks for your input!

#8 ·
Mine cracks it's knuckles changing directions (forward/reverse). I've went under & checked for loose sway bar mounts, & etc. Nothing looked amiss. There are more linkages than I'm familiar with so I'm guessing it's coming from there. I'm getting more used to it now.

#9 ·
My 17 RTL-E does the same thing but my Integra did the same thing all the time, I believe its just a strut thing.

#10 ·
I had a similar issue with a sporadic low level clunk sound.

Beat my brains out trying to locate this thing. It ended up being a small round rubber flashlight I had stored in the lower drivers side door storage pocket. Drove me nuts for better part of a week.

I hope you find yous as well.

God Bless

#13 ·
The front left and right link assemblies are being replaced on mine with a similar described noise at low speeds over bumps. Should get it back tomorrow. I just got a used 2017 two weeks ago and didn't notice the noise on the test drive. It's a warranty fix still, but annoying a certified vehicle had an issue two weeks later.

#17 ·
Fix took a little longer than anticipated. Apparently the truck has the Jsport 1.5" lift kit on it (the vehicle was driven by the dealership's manager and I bought it certified pre-owned) which I didn't know about when I bought it. So, they ordered the incorrect parts at first. Following replacement of the front left ball joint (did whole arm assembly) and sway bar end links and a new alignment, the sound is gone.

A little annoyed this was a "certified pre-owned vehicle" yet the front ball joint on the driver's side was blown out, etc, but at least they took care of it all for no charge. Didn't hear the noise during the test drive which is on me, but it was rather subtle and could really only be heard with the radio off. Glad it is fixed!

Not sure if this helps:

End links parts: JSRLP005 (Jsport)
Front left lower arm: 51360-T6Z-A00

#14 ·
I haven't noticed the rattle noise since the end of the warm weather season last year. Vehicle now has over 14K on it, so maybe things have "settled in," though I should turn off the radio and see if it's still there just to be sure. I want to add that I've concluded it was / is coming from movement in upper strut tower(s), stabilizer bar linkage or possibly lower control arm(s), so really not worried and frankly, no longer willing to have vehicle torn apart on a wild goose chase. I'm familiar with a brake caliper moving "click" and do not believe this was what I was hearing. Stay tuned for a follow-up!

#15 ·
My suspension twank/thunk/clunk sound/feeling has returned.

This is the only thing about my RL that drives me nuts. Unfortunately the Honda techs are no longer mechanics but parts replacers. It is too bad the grease monkeys can't diagnose the source of an obvious stut problem. Frustrating as hell. I hate incompetence!

Anyway it makes an otherwise brilliant vehicle feel like a mid-90's Lada.

Honda should be ashamed of it's 'mechanics at least at my dealership. :(

#16 ·
If it is / was a strut noise issue, then likely really no worries that vehicle has a serious problem (just an annoyance after having spent nearly $40K!); and short of a TSB or recall (usually resulting in an improved part), the parts we get may not correct the issue. The automotive industry, not to mention (as we all know), the world, has changed dramatically; unfortunately, good technicians, even "factory trained" at franchised dealerships, are less and less a certainty because of the increasing costs to the dealer pressured to sell the vehicle at "cost" while also having to train a tech who then often leaves and takes that knowledge elsewhere. The situation is made even worse by the ever shrinking pool of new mechanics (oops, technicians) interested in the automotive technical field. We're all in trouble!

#20 ·
Honda has used JSport products on concept vehicles, but they do not sell or guarantee JSport products products on production vehicles. Some independently-owned Honda dealers do, though.

#21 ·
I recently took delivery of a new, 2019 Ridgeline (AWD) RTL-E. The vehicle has just over 1,000 miles on it and has developed a low level (at this point) front suspension rattle that sounds like it could be strut related. It' not noticeable on the highway (better roads / higher speeds), but is certainly noticeable at lower speeds on local, average condition roads.

Surprisingly (at least to me; after all, this is a brand new Honda vehicle!), I do see quite a few threads on front suspension noises posted in this forum, which is very concerning!

Anyone else have 2019 a experiencing this issue? Any Honda tech's out there aware of a an existing TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) from Honda (possibly covering 17's & 18"s as well) on this concern?

Thanks!
My new 2019 Ridgeline started making metal-on-metal rattling noise when I would go over a crack or seam in road at residential road speeds, but oddly, only when weather was rainy or truck had been out in rain. Made no sense to me that water contact under vehicle should make any difference in cause of noise, but that's the only time I ever heard it. First noticed it at about 1,500 kms on the truck. Recently, at 9,000 kms, I am pretty sure I have heard it in dry conditions, too. Honda technician drove it once with me in front seat, but it was a nice, dry day, so I knew we were wasting our time 'cause he wasn't going to hear anything. Dreading having to go back and hear them say it's all good: it's not. They'll just have to keep it till they hear the noise, and give me a loaner till it's fixed under their warranty. Disappointing, though. Older cars have enough problems, you don't deserve to have them on a brand new vehicle.

#22 ·
After having both the left front strut and lower control arm replaced the dealer found the issue... A broken rear motor mount on my'17 RL.

No one at the dealer suspected a failure like this with low miles.

#25 ·
I lived with a rattle in the front-end of our Nissan NV200 van for a year or two, which included unsuccessful dealer checks, and I found one day that it was simply the hood rattling. Turned-out a bumper a thread or two and it was fixed.

o_O

#26 ·

Thanks!
I just took delivery of a 2020 RTL-E. Brand new off the lot yesterday. It's great over normal roads but any little bump in the road I get the nose you describe. Any news on how to correct this? Seems like a design flaw.

#27 ·
Vehicle now has over 20k miles on it and I don't notice it anymore, which doesn't mean it's not there, just that I've either adjusted to it and / or turned up the radio! I also believe it was seasonal (in my case, vehicle purchased in August and more noticeable in the warmer months), which may be another reason why I'm not hearing it now (in Northeast). Lastly, I have some experience in auto industry and did not want the vehicle taken apart on a while goose chase under warranty.

#28 ·
Thanks for the posts, this is a great forum. Today I went out and took my 2020 Ridgeline over lots of bumps and the rattle went away! Today was a dry day and I had it in the garage overnight. I heard others talk about the "rattle over bumps" problem happening during/after driving in rain. When it was rattling yesterday it was raining so I would have been driving it over wet roads. Hmmm...

#29 ·

Thanks!
My new 2019 Ridgeline started making metal-on-metal rattling noise when I would go over a crack or seam in road at residential road speeds, but oddly, only when weather was rainy or truck had been out in rain. Made no sense to me that water contact under vehicle should make any difference in cause of noise, but that's the only time I ever heard it. First noticed it at about 1,500 kms on the truck. Recently, at 9,000 kms, I am pretty sure I have heard it in dry conditions, too. Honda technician drove it once with me in front seat, but it was a nice, dry day, so I knew we were wasting our time 'cause he wasn't going to hear anything. Dreading having to go back and hear them say it's all good: it's not. They'll just have to keep it till they hear the noise, and give me a loaner till it's fixed under their warranty. Disappointing, though. Older cars have enough problems, you don't deserve to have them on a brand new vehicle.
I took my car to the dealer yesterday and after checking the car for 2 days, they called American Honda and they are replacing the rack & pinion.

#30 ·
I would not want this done to my vehicle unless the dealer could show me actual movement at the rack believed to be causing the exact noise you are complaining about. The steering rack is an integral component of a vehicle, replacing it can create new problems / issues, especially if the technician is not experienced. Suggest, to the extent you can, assure yourself it's absolutely needed and the dealer is NOT just trying parts to satisfy a customer. Remember the old saying, "be careful what you ask for .."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.