Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody purchased and self-installed the lower bumper trim?

Also, I have read that it is "plastic" and I'm looking to confirm that.

By the way, this is a great site!

Thanks, in advance!

Hondacop

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello Hondacop,
I bought my Ridgeline with those chrome bumper trims on both the front and the rear. I just checked them out and I believe that they are plastic. I do have to admit, that they do look good on the black Ridgeline. I wasn't going to put them on, but since the dealer was selling the truck with them installed already, I bought it that way. I would've put them on if I bought it without.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
If you're refering to the brush guard it's also plastic. It's purely for looks, certainly not made for pushing anything. It would provide some protection at parking speeds if you bump a wall or tree as it would take the ding instead of your painted bumper. Honda is into safety and having a real steel structure up front mounted to the frame is quite bad safety wise, as CISMO has pointed out a few times, not allowing the crumple zones to work as designed to absorb energy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My bad! I was refering to the "brush guard".
I was wondering if , with a little extra support, a set of "off road" lights could be mounted either above or below the upper "bar". It looks like the wiring could be hidden inside. :confused:
I am open to opinions and suggestions!

Again, thanks to you guys for the input! :)

Hondacop

(bty, the ridge is my 16th Honda!) :D

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
hondacop said:
My bad! I was refering to the "brush guard".
I was wondering if , with a little extra support, a set of "off road" lights could be mounted either above or below the upper "bar". It looks like the wiring could be hidden inside. :confused:
I am open to opinions and suggestions!
Hmmmm, not sure about that. It doesn't have any openings so you would not be able to get a nut on the inside to secure a mounting bolt. Maybe if you had a mounting plate you could hot glue to the guard and use some screws too it might hold. Or you could cut a finger hole on the bottom to get a nut on the inside. At any rate it's thin plastic so I'd suggest a mounting plate of some sort, something more than just a bolt and washer.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Is the top part of the Lower Trim (Brush guard) chrome or does it perfectly match the roof rack silver?

TIA

TL

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Hondacop, you are correct in using the term "Front lower bumper trim" as this is how Honda has marketed this item to the public. Brush guard would seem a more logical term but nevertheless, it certainly adds quite a bit of flair to the truck.

If combined with the front and rear chrome bumper trim package, the look is quite amazing. The front lower bumper trim is made of a very light high impact charcoal-colored plastic which certainly avoids having to bolt it onto the frame since the plastic bumper/grille actually floats using a few plastic rivets and bolts to secure it. The chrome portion is also a plastic core that has been heavily chromed.

Installation is very easy although it requires removal of the bumper/grille. Drilling holes are clearly marked on the inside of the bumper making easing drilling location. Once you remove the front bumper/grille, you will be shocked at how little frontal protection your truck really has in the event of a minor collision.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts